S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Fender rubbing

Old 05-18-2024, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fender rubbing

I finally got my new tires and rims, 225/45R17 and 255/40R17 with +40 offset each rim, it fits nice and looks good. The only issue is during highway speeds or even rough road, my tires will rub on the fender lip if I hit a bump. I have tien flex Z coils (which I love), I already raised the rear a lot and the fronts alittle bit. I also played with the dampening and made it stiffer 12 clicks in the front and 14 in the rear. My next option is to play with the preload, by making the preload stiffer would that fix my issue? I'm going to post pictures of the fitment. Any input would be nice

Old 05-18-2024, 09:04 AM

Received 166 Likes on 128 Posts

You need to roll the fenders and change the alignment specs with greater negative camber.
The following users liked this post:
TsukubaCody (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Orjinal
You need to roll the fenders and change the alignment specs with greater negative camber.
Is there anyway around rolling the fenders? I don’t really wanna roll them.
Old 05-18-2024, 10:31 AM
Jub

Received 394 Likes on 314 Posts

Full wheel specs would help but... based on that picture, you bought wheel sizes that are not going to be compatible with stock fenders. That rear is really poking out and is going to be hard to fit with even rolled fenders + camber. Hate to tell you but you will need different wheels if you are determined to run stock fenders.
The following users liked this post:
TsukubaCody (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jub
Full wheel specs would help but... based on that picture, you bought wheel sizes that are not going to be compatible with stock fenders. That rear is really poking out and is going to be hard to fit with even rolled fenders + camber. Hate to tell you but you will need different wheels if you are determined to run stock fenders.
the fronts are 17x8 with +40 offset and the rears are 17x9 with a +40 offset
Old 05-18-2024, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jub
I also have about 1.5 inch of space between my fender lip and my tire
Old 05-18-2024, 12:42 PM

Received 426 Likes on 320 Posts

Your options are basically to raise the car a whole bunch (essentially stock height and that could still rub if you’re unlucky), run a tiny tire (and a fairly high ride height), change the wheels to a set with significantly higher offset, or roll the fenders.
Old 05-18-2024, 01:02 PM

Received 1,296 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeV21
Is there anyway around rolling the fenders? I don’t really wanna roll them.
No

Your wheel specs look like you will need to roll them. You're going to cause worse damage if you don't

Preloading the coilovers will make the issue worse. It doesn't stiffen the springs. It just adds more shock travel before bumpstopping.

You need to...
Roll the fenders with the lips as flat as you can get them.

Front:
Cut off the 3 forward front liner tabs.
Slice the fender liner.

Rear:
Cut/shave the rear bumper tab off and relocate it backward.
Cut/shave the rear bumper.

Buy SPC upper ball joints for the front
Set the camber to about -2.5 or so.
You can probably get -2.5 with the stock adjusters, but you're pushing the lower arms out. You want to pull the upper arms in.

For the rear, just set the stock adjuster to around -3.3 deg of camber or so

You bought wheels that are way more agressive than stock. So...it would make sense that they're not gonna just "fit"

Last edited by B serious; 05-18-2024 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Your options are basically to raise the car a whole bunch (essentially stock height and that could still rub if you’re unlucky), run a tiny tire (and a fairly high ride height), change the wheels to a set with significantly higher offset, or roll the fenders.
tiny tire as in thinner side walls right, and I guess I'll try and roll the fenders, just need to find a shop in my state that can
Old 05-19-2024, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
No

Your wheel specs look like you will need to roll them. You're going to cause worse damage if you don't

Preloading the coilovers will make the issue worse. It doesn't stiffen the springs. It just adds more shock travel before bumpstopping.

You need to...
Roll the fenders with the lips as flat as you can get them.

Front:
Cut off the 3 forward front liner tabs.
Slice the fender liner.

Rear:
Cut/shave the rear bumper tab off and relocate it backward.
Cut/shave the rear bumper.

Buy SPC upper ball joints for the front
Set the camber to about -2.5 or so.
You can probably get -2.5 with the stock adjusters, but you're pushing the lower arms out. You want to pull the upper arms in.

For the rear, just set the stock adjuster to around -3.3 deg of camber or so

You bought wheels that are way more agressive than stock. So...it would make sense that they're not gonna just "fit"
I'll look into the ball joints and go that route, I also need to find a shop near me that can roll the fender and that has experience with these cars. Thank you

Quick Reply: Fender rubbing