California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Cusco Subframe with a Twist!

Old 08-22-2004, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cusco Subframe with a Twist!

Well to all you jealous folks out there I snagged Hitmans used Cusco subframe, but it was in a bit of a state visually. Rust where the paint had been scraped off and black stuff stuck all over most of the rest, I am guessing tar or oil.

It was a shame to sand off the pretty blue finish but I had a plan! Being lazy and cheap I decided not to strip all the paint, or have it re powdercoated because I was going to use Hammerite! This is a wonderful product that you spray directly onto rust, no primer needed, and gives a hammered metal finish. Very popular in Britain, probably because it's raining all the time and stuff rusts!

Anyway I found some of the spray on variety at Ace Hardware, so if anyone is interested, thats the place to go. I know Lowes don't stock it, Home Depot might.

Here are the bars, all prepped and ready. I used a high grit sandpaper to clean them up and remove all the black stuff and most of the rust.

and another pic

Now for the shock... no more pretty blue Cusco bars. In with the Golden finish, all ready for fitting. Er, if you ever do this... don't be impatient and turn things over to do the other side the same day. Yeah it's touch dry, but left long enough it's still gonna stick.

And using Oatnets handy installation guide, here it is installed, almost a perfect match for my Whiteline Cross brace! Note the white bits, yes thats newspaper folks. Hopefully it will weather off... Its so easy to put on, the hardest part was jacking the darned thing up with the Airwalker kit on.

I have to say I was not planning to go this route, why add extra weight, it's the enemy right? And when I picked these up, boy they were heavy. But I figured I would easily sell em again if needed.

My first ride around the block and boy I see what Oatnet means. I get it! All the remaining shakes and rattles are gone, and my teeth were rattling because my Koni Yellows were set too hard. I already planned to adjust em, but it's such a pain to get to the drivers side rear... I went directly back to home and took half a turn off.

Back out on the street and WOW. It feels like a new car! I understand why others can't really articulate the benefits, cause I can't either, you really have to drive a car with it on. It's just that the car feels so much more settled and inspires you to drive it harder somehow. Anyway I am keeping it! Hah. Thanks JD for giving me that extra shove. We still have to compare though, cause I have the Koni's!

Thats it, I need a run out to Palomar Mountain, or maybe Malibu! Anyone up for it next weekend?

Old 08-22-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! I have the same and man what a difference! Go get'em Ashley!

Duc
Old 08-22-2004, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by ashmason,Aug 22 2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks JD for giving me that extra shove. We still have to compare though, cause I have the Koni's!

Thats it, I need a run out to Palomar Mountain, or maybe Malibu! Anyone up for it next weekend?

NICELY Done, Ashley! Dude, that looks great with the whiteline, I didn't even think of Color-matching when you snagged that kit...

Wanna do the side-by-side, I have (2) challanges for time right now:
1) After the PV run, the Starbucks meet, and Mega Meet, Mrs. Oatnet wants a little time
2) This week I will be getting my Focal Utopia 165w speakers and Zapco 360 amp in, and I just can't WAIT to get them in - my stereo has been ruined for me ever since I listened to Harley's Boston Acoustic Pro Comps/Lightening Audio setup and made me aware of just how much better it could sound.

But I definitely want to hit up that secret spot you were telling me about, maybe on a weeknight???

-JD

Old 08-22-2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks Duc... I think I am just about set to take things to the track and upgrade the driver skills.

JD, any weeknight works for me! I took a spin around there today briefly, but too many folks learning to drive.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:23 PM

xlnt work... that really looks great

quite a bargain that turned out to be
Old 08-23-2004, 09:35 AM

Great match with your Whiteline brace!

PCH, canyons? Hit me up!