UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My Vortech Supercharger Install Diary

Old 09-30-2005, 11:53 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default My Vortech Supercharger Install Diary

Right, its Friday and none of my mates are going out so I thought I would begin a long term post into the trials and tribulations of a Vortech install.

Ive had the car 6 months now and really love it. My only gripe is that I love performance modding, and I hit a brick wall with this straight away. N/A mods are stupidly pricey, and while I envy people for going down this route (takes a lot of thought) its not for me.

Here is where I looked into S/C's, got scared off, and came back again

Spent a lot of time on the US forum as it would appear you are nobody unless you have 6 turbo's and a shot of nitrous Those boys dont do thing by halves. So, as I normally do, I spent a few months working out how the cars's ECU and engine worked, and what S/C I wanted. I really wanted the Comptech S/C as it didnt require any drilling into the oilpan for return. But... a Vortech came along at a great price (Thanks Simon ) and I had to have it. Bit earlier than I wanted but I couldnt miss out.

Picked the kit up a few weeks back and have been busy listing a cunning plan before installing it. Its not as simple as bolting it on....

You need to consider:
New plugs and what type (gap is different for S/C)
New oil (its working harder and a bit hotter!)
More tolerant gearbox oil (as above)
Getting all the ECu wiring diagrams together
Insurance (incidetally its only
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
MB

So what's the idea behind it?

Well, A S/C is driven off an extra pulley, via a belt. Its basically an air compressor or turbine, which compresses air sucked up by the intake, and feed this into the engine. Simple theory is that the more air you can get in, the more fuel you can mix with it to increase combustion. And this means more power!!!!

The reason I like S/C is that its simpler than a turbo (not as efficient) and keeps the VTEC character of the car due to its power being linear with the RPM's

So what's in the kit?

Hopefully when finished it will look like this:

And hopefully it will do this :
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?f...CC48F6&kw=3&p=2

MB
Old 09-30-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice bit of kit .... and a very good price (I went with Simon to look at it before he bought it)

The big thing that would worry me about SC'ing the car (...and I had considered it) is getting the fueling right. Both the Vortech and Comptech are designed for use with US fuel i.e lower RON than in the UK.

How do you plan to get this right? I would have thought the AEM route that Simon was planning would be the best solution.

Looking forward to your updates
Old 09-30-2005, 12:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Sep 30 2005, 08:53 PM
Picked the kit up a few weeks back and have been busy listing a cunning plan before installing it. Its not as simple as bolting it on....

Getting all the ECu wiring diagrams together
I don't think that took you too long Mark I have been reading the FI forum alot for several months (I like to read up on things before buying... ) and every time I get more interested in getting a SC I read a thread about another mishap or factor that I had not previously considered. I'm going to be interested to see how you get on I'm watching the development of the Axial superhcharger here
Old 09-30-2005, 12:14 PM
MB

First things first...

Ok, Im putting a device on the car which can potentially see pistons exiting the bonnet at varous angles and at
Old 09-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like a centrifugal blower.. why then is the power delivery different to a turbo?
Old 09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
MB

Steven, I will be keeping a close eye on this with the kit above, and have been in touch with Vortech who assure me it will be ok. But if not, they can take my AFR logs and possible modify the FMU for me. its easy enough to remove just the FMU and the S/C unit for a short time if this is an issue.

Paper, with no offence to the US guys, there are very very few of them who want a standard setup. Most want big power and are using bigger pulleys, injectors, aftermarket ECU's etc - which is away from what Vortech designed it for I guess...

MB
Old 09-30-2005, 12:22 PM
MB

Kobe,

Simple - belts are different to the way exhaust gas builds up and spins the blower...

MB
Old 09-30-2005, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheers for the info.. hope it goes well.

the installation on the US car looks really neat - as if Honda reserved the airbox space for something
Old 09-30-2005, 12:46 PM
MB

No probs, tried to get a S/C vs Turbo dyno chart for comparrison, but cant find one at the moment

A turbo takes a specific amount of exhaust gas before it starts to wind up, then goes off like a rocket, and tails off as it reaches is max speed / pressure. A S/C keeps going and in a linear fashion.... So its a bit of a loop versus an increasing line! Turbo's give more power though.

MB

Quick Reply: My Vortech Supercharger Install Diary