UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The big "quest for more power" thread

Old 08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs down The big "quest for more power" thread

Thought i'd kick this off as a collective thread on power enhancing mods, seeing as we dont have our own modding forum.

Although related, best to keep handling / braking / weight saving stuff out. Power increases only - and maybe final drives

Also, ive been getting huge amounts of Supercharger PM questions lately, so hopefully this can serve as a doctors surgery too Ive built up some good knowledge on this after nearly comissioning mine () and continuing to hang around in the FI forum. Im no expert on the subject of mods, but again built up some good knowledge on NA mods and ECU's, mapping etc. There are some much more clever lurkers on here than me though - so good to get people talking.

For the most part I just like to help where I can!

Im sure Mark M and Arsie can contribute much valuable SC info too.

If you havent read it, click on my Vortech link in my sig for lots of S/C info!

Looks like my car is staying now - had no interest in it so for now its staying and I might mod it a bit

What's everyone else upto mods wise?

MB
Old 08-10-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey there! I am going to get a vortech supercharger + AEM ECU put in at standard boost.

I was wondering if I should keep the stock exhaust with the vortech? I really want to have a quiet exhaust.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 PM

Err, well i tried to fit my decat but the bolts are so rusty it looks like i need to cut them off and get some new ones. Anyone have an idea of cost of new bolts?

Other than that I was thinking about putting my DTA S60 Pro ecu to good use, but I don't think I'm gonna have the time so I've just sold it. Great ECU for supercharger solutions though
Old 08-10-2006, 03:32 PM
MB

Dan, the Vortech is designed to run with a stock system. It can rull a whole AFR point leaner if you decat / put a freer flowing pipe on! If you are going AEM this wont be a problem as they can map round it. It will work well with zorst mods.

Who is going to do your mapping on the AEM??

Si2k, bolts wont be much. I would douse them in WD40 or Plusgas and then try and crack them. They need impact rather than torque - difficult under the car though! Does the DTA have S2000 compatable connectors to the ECU connectors?

MB
Old 08-10-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Aug 11 2006, 12:32 AM
Si2k, bolts wont be much. I would douse them in WD40 or Plusgas and then try and crack them. They need impact rather than torque - difficult under the car though! Does the DTA have S2000 compatable connectors to the ECU connectors?

MB
Bolts are well rusty, expansion of the nut due to corrosion means I can only just get an 11mm on and then it starts to crumble up.

I guess the AEM is plug and play so that's an advantage. DTA doesnt have a connector compatible with the OE loom, so either a new loom needed or what I did on my rover, make a conversion loom. I made about 6 of these for other people too.
http://www.aslf53.dsl.pipex.com/Harness/DSC02213.JPG > Moved the ECU into the car.

The system already has the F20 engine sensors and crank/cam sensor settings as preset for you to select though so isn't too tricky. Probably easiest to go with AEM though.

My brother is into his Hondas and has chipped a lot of OBD0 and OBD1 ecus as fitted to CRXs and Integras using software called Crome and the required hardware (Rom burners, USB datalogging etc), it's a shame that there is no such solutions for the S2000.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 PM
MB

Yeah im running a Unichip die to lack of other options... The Hydra ECu made massive gains of around 40bhp by lowering the VTEC point down to 4500 rpm - but this was for a track car setup

Wish they would sort the Hondata from pre 06 cars

Trouble with AEM is finding someone who is "comptetent and experienced" in mapping an S2000. I cant find anyone.

MB
Old 08-10-2006, 11:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a thoroughly crazy 06 owner who is considering selling his so he can buy an older one & put a supercharger on it. I'm sure the lunatic will be along shortly as soon as he's clocked this thread.

Over to you No Lez.

Ed
Old 08-11-2006, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Aug 10 2006, 11:32 PM
Who is going to do your mapping on the AEM??
Thats good news about the exhaust. http://www.svaimports.com/ who i asked about putting the Vortech reccomended I get the AEM and they can map and dyno it.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Aug 10 2006, 09:59 PM
Although related, best to keep handling / braking / weight saving stuff out. Power increases only - and maybe final drives

I believe that improving cooling is key to enhancing power

(Changing the cams can help too )
Old 08-11-2006, 01:53 AM
MB

We can include cooling and engine work, thats a given!

Was interested in your plans Steven - you've been keeping these cams a bit hush

Dan, I would ask SVA if they have mapped an S2000 before, let alone a Vortech'd one. You can download base Vortech maps from their website and then have it dyno'd to checkit was right. Its not ideal but we have little choice!

There is a guy called Ma$e that lives in the US and often pops over here that will map it, and is highly regarded.

If it was me, I would go to TDi and use the FCon Pro. At least they have some good experience on the S and on blown NSX's...

MB

Quick Reply: The big "quest for more power" thread