S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

RIP F20 Misshift, overrev, and all that's related

Old 10-08-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RIP F20 Misshift, overrev, and all that's related

Yep another one of those threads. I just decided to experience first hand what it felt like to destroy a motor.

(story of my cars) (skippable)
I've loved cars since I was a little kid. In Pre-K, we were told to bring 100 of an item. People usually brought 100 pennies. I brought 100 toy cars. I had saved since I was about 6 for a car. I ate ketchup and people's leftovers for lunch to save money for a car.
Bought an 02 RSX. Stolen this summer. Had about 10k in mods, insurance only covered wheels, and stereo equipment equaling about 3k.
Bought a used 02 S2k about a month ago. one week later in the rain I spin in the rain resulting in one cracked wheel and a bit of positive camber to the rear wheel plus probably suspension damage. Has yet to be fixed.
(end story of cars) (end skippable)

(begin misshift)
I was racing a 350z today that followed me and was dying for a race. (I've raced less than 10 times in 4 years that I had my RSX and S.) I obliged. after a bit of spirited driving, the cars clear.
1->2 dead even 2-3 dead even 3-2 dead engine. I look down and the red is flashing like crazy, it must have been a second before I caught the misshift because I was looking at the road. The revs drop all the way to 0. I know people have misshifted and are still able to drive, but my car won't even start. I pull over and await a tow.
I've always been paranoid of a misshift so I cup the shifter usually, shift lightly, and go straight down from 3 like I have for many times before.

The cause was probably the huge taco bell cup in the cupholder making me hold the shifter at and awkward angle. I burnt the Taco Bell cup until it was no more than a pile of black goo on my concrete.

Since my engine won't start at all what have I done? bent valves, metal in oil pan, bent rod, or all of the above?

I've contemplated ending my life a few times, but I know that's the pussy way out.
(edit) I know it's my fault. I don't have a warrenty, and I wouldn't, couldn't, shouldn't ask the dealer to fix it.

(edit) Pic attached! @#$)^*&ing cup
Old 10-08-2006, 10:22 PM

I've contemplated ending my life a few times, but I know that's the pussy way out.
dont do that man... well it sounds like there is quite a bit of damage. have you visually inspected under the hood to see if you got any chunks missing? im sure you messed up a bunch of things if you didnt catch the misshift right away and it was banging away in the red there...
Old 10-08-2006, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Junkyard engine time, I would guess.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:08 PM

Hey man, no need to take your own life over something like this man. Cars have taken enough lives through accidents and drunk drivers and stuff like that, no need for it to take another for somone making a mistake. I think you have three options though for replacing your motor. First, You could check with your insurance company and see if they will replace your motor. That will depend on your policy though. My buddy got the motor out of his 240sx replaced as well as his transmission and hood when he blew his motor. Second option, go to a credit union or bank and apply for an auto improvement loan. If my local credit union is any indication, then the intrest rates arent bad on those. Lastly, you could take care of it the old fashion way and put a little money aside eash paycheck and save till you can afford a new motor. I am sure there are probally other options aw well, but those were the ones I could think of. Remember though, it is just a car and it can be fixed, you on the other hand are a little harder to repair so dont go doing something you might regret. Get your car fixed and get back to enjoying the car and life.

-Ian
Old 10-09-2006, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by RSXelrate,Oct 8 2006, 11:12 PM
what have I done?

Old 10-09-2006, 01:41 AM

I think your valves went to the real VTEC heaven.
Let them rest in piece, euhm, peace , they had a rough last seconds
Old 10-09-2006, 01:50 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Sue Taco Bell for making their cups too high.

Serious: sorry to hear what happened.
Until the engine gets openened up you will not know for sure what the damage is.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by RACER,Oct 9 2006, 01:30 AM
haha, thats not nice.

Sorry to hear about what happened, like they said above no car is worth a person's life. If the car is worth it to you I would get a loan, 3-4K is worth getting to fix it than spending a lot more on a new car. It comes down to whatever you want to do.

Good luck!
Old 10-09-2006, 04:35 AM

personally I hate the S2K's cupholders...I would rather go thirsty than have to shift awkwardly for the next 10 miles. usually I get the 20 oz bottles now and wedge them between the seat and the side of the console.

best of luck to you in fixing the car.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a good thread on valve retainer damage due to over rev.

Go Here

Sounds to me like a little more that a few cracked retainers tho.

Quick Reply: RIP F20 Misshift, overrev, and all that's related