S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

ITR class question

Old 12-26-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ITR class question

I was looking through the rules for 2007 ITR class and from what I can understand I have to run a dashboard, heater core, and heater hoses. It looks like I can bypass the heater but not remove it. seems kinda strange to me.

Also I have to weigh 3005 lbs and that would mean I have to add weight????

all that sound right???

thanks in advance.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup & yup.

A legal 2.0L S2000 T2 car is about 60 lbs over T2 weight (2830lbs) and that's with full interior, passenger seat and all. Thankfully it's going to T3 for 2007.

The guys behind creating ITR are trying very hard to not create any overdogs. They have a power/weight/engine mod potential formula in mind and that's where the weight shook out. Until some race data proves otherwise, it's not going to get lowered.

I'm pretty familiar with the issues if you have more questions.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:33 PM

questions yes.
I planed on going tie at first then rylan pointed out the itr class so i am going that route (so I thought).
I have stripped the interior including dash and heater core/AC box.

can I just add weight back to make it legal or am I going to have to buy that stuff??

I do know a race stripped car should weigh somewhere around 2500 lbs so I was figuring add me fuel and some weight to the pass side and I should be right around the 3005 weight.

I would really like to know what you think about all this.

I plan on stripped interior, race seat, cage, KW V2's, removed AC crap, aftermarket radiator, and stock everything else including wheels thats about it.

I am really having a hard time thinking I should be running interior and heater on a race car. It goes away from everything I know!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you'll have to put those parts back in and add probably ~200lbs of weight to the car.

I also learned this past weekend that ITR will require you to remove the ABS which is pretty stupid, but not that big of a deal either.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 AM

[QUOTE=crashtest,Dec 27 2006, 12:33 AM] can I just add weight back to make it legal or am I going to have to buy that stuff??

I would really like to know what you think about all this.

I plan on stripped interior, race seat, cage, KW V2's, removed AC crap, aftermarket radiator, and stock everything else including wheels thats about it.

I am really having a hard time thinking I should be running interior and heater on a race car.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 AM

Jlucas,
Thanks for the link I am singing up there and reading on...

I am in California so if I end up going ITE I know I have some well a other S2k to run with.

o and I understand on your comments and know your not trying to be a smart ass.
I had read the rules but must have missed that part.
one question though...
it says you have to run a heater core and hoses. does that mean I have to run a heater core and hoses but not the heater box?
if that is the case I will just bolt a core to the floor.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jlucas,Dec 27 2006, 03:22 AM
Please remember that IT racing has been around for a long time and what may seem like a weird rule now, were developed with a philosophy in mind (minimal modifications, low cost, not having to constant adjust the rules car by car) and have evolved from there. I can hear it already, why don't they change the rules? Well occasionally they do but how would you feel if you were a racer on a budget and they kept re-writing the rules every year? You wouldn't be able to sustain racing. There's a lot to be said for rule stability in a race series. For one thing, it leads to larger car fields. When you start hanging around the IT crowd a thing you'll hear discussion about is "Rules Creep". Remember IT evolved from Showroom Stock + suspension & bolt in cages back in the 80s. There are a lot of cars in IT and changing a rule doesn't necessarily benefit all cars the same so then more adjusts are needed, changes or competition adjustments for specifc cars only and so on... (you see where this is going.....).
Yeah the heater/dash rule isn't a big deal, but they made a number of ITR only changes, such as the wheel sizes for one. I think they should with a new class consider updating some of the other outdated rules for ITR such as the ABS one. The ecu one would be nice

Removing the ABS in the s2k isn't a big deal but in some of the other makes in ITR it becomes a bigger problem.

I do read ITF, just don't post. I've also read most of the ITR arguments there.

Anyway.....
Old 12-28-2006, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by crashtest,Dec 28 2006, 12:50 PM
does that mean I have to run a heater core and hoses but not the heater box?
Yes, you need the HVAC box.
A general rule of thumb about the rules is IIDSYCYC (if it doesn't say you can, you can't).

Sometimes they clarify things by saying you can't if they've been of debate or protest before. In this particular case, they are reminding you in the cooling system section that you have to keep those pieces but also in the interior section, the HVAC unit is not one of the items allowed for removal.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to the fun!
Old 12-28-2006, 04:07 PM

fricken crappee
Old 12-28-2006, 04:37 PM

Check with jfo. He might have a complete HVAC. He built an H1 car and also has a spare front clip.

Quick Reply: ITR class question