S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Throttle Cable Replacement

Old 03-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Throttle Cable Replacement

So my throttle cable had been re-tightened several times and finally was stretched to the limit to where there was no more adjustment left. Time for replacement. Since there are probably a few of us with cars getting up there in years, I figure some might like to do this. On a difficulty scale from 1-10 with 10 being hardest, I give this a 4.

You will need:

12mm open end wrench (or small monkey wrench)...2 are best, but 1 ok
12mm socket
wrench for socket
extension for wrench
new cable - P/N 17910-S2A-A01 (for ap1...different p/n for ap2...not sure what)

You will need to get deep into your driver's footwell, so a skinny fexible body helps...but since I did it...obviously not required.

First disconnect the old throttle cable. Use the 12mm open wrench to loosen the nuts. Move the forward nut all the way forward. Pull the cable until you can slide it past the bracket.

And slide the wire out of the throttle.

I found it helpful to disconnect the cruise control as well. The manual makes it appear you can do it without that step, but it was way easier to go ahead and do it.

Unsnap the cruise control cover. If you unsnap the inner lock the cover will lift up.

Then make note of the number of threads on the adjuster nut so that you can re-tighten to the same spot.

Again, use the 12mm wrench to loosen the cable. And slide the wire out.

Now you can get into the footwell. The entire accel pedal must be removed. Don't worry...it's easy. Two 12mm nuts hold the pedal assembly. You will need an extension to get to the top nut. They are not very tight (only 10 ft-lb).

Once loose, pull the entire assembly towards you. It can help to have a friend push on the cables from the engine bay. There are 2 grommets that you'll need to pull from the firewall as soon as you can get your fingers behind the pedal assembly. They will take some work, but you don't need to be gentle.

With the grommets free you can pull the cables into the footwell.

Now remove the cable from the pedal assembly. There is a trick to this. Grab the cable socket from the back and rotate, then pull free. See the pics:

rotate

pull free

Pull the cable from the bracket...it just pulls straight out.

Remove the rubber seal from the old cable.

Put it on the new one.

Reassemble pedal in reverse order. Again a friend is nice to help pull on the cables from the engine bay. The grommets can be tough to get back in...squeeze hard and push plus rotate and they will pop in place. If you have some silicon grease (shin-etzu), that can help (plus will help the grommet s last longer).

The pedal assembly nuts are supposed to be torqued to ~10ft-lb. I don't have a torque wrench that reads lat low, so I did them as tight as I could with a 1/4" drive.

Once you have the pedal back in place, reattach the cruise control cable first. Recall how many threads were showing?

If you can't recall how the cables were routed, here is a pic:

Then adjust the new throttle cable per the manual:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=112599
Old 03-04-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice!
Old 03-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice! should be in the FAQs
Old 03-04-2007, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great write up. I just adjusted my throttle cable slack and was surprised with only 20K on the car, I'm getting pretty close to maxing out the adjustment.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 AM

Bump for this thread. I just replaced my throttle cable this past weekend. Maybe this should be included in the FAQ section, as there are now quite a few higher mileage S2k's out there that might need their throttle cable replaced...

John
Old 11-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Are you able to disconnect the throttle cable wire from the Cruise Control box? If so how is that done? Thanks

**NVM I'm stupid, I figured it out**
Old 05-10-2011, 08:35 PM

guys my gas pedal doesnt go down all the way...

Edit: ok my gas pedal is normal but now cruise control doesnt have enough slack to place on to the braket???