UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Wet Condition Driving

Old 11-18-2007, 10:47 AM
J_D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Wet Condition Driving

Well its peed it down all weekend here in good old Yorkshire, and have been forced to drive the S in the wet, which I dont really like doing.

The reason for this, is because they handle so lame in the wet, especially at low speed tight bends, and in and out of "T" junctions, but why???

All my tyres have almost full tread, I have S03 bridgstones on the front and S02's on the rear, with 32psi all round, and I drive very slowley in wet conditions, but I always get caught out at least once. Like today turning left at a junction doing 28mph on quarter throttle in 2nd, and the back end stepped out.

Very entertaining for people watching but heart stopping for me.

Is this the norm? Or am I just very unlucky?
Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 AM
ge2

The engine drives the rear wheels, this happens, nowt to do with luck.

Try the same turning with 1/8 throttle
Old 11-18-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See the GB for Racelogic traction control. We need a couple more buyers
Old 11-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by J_D,Nov 18 2007, 07:47 PM
Well its peed it down all weekend here in good old Yorkshire, and have been forced to drive the S in the wet, which I dont really like doing.

The reason for this, is because they handle so lame in the wet, especially at low speed tight bends, and in and out of "T" junctions, but why???

All my tyres have almost full tread, I have S03 bridgstones on the front and S02's on the rear, with 32psi all round, and I drive very slowley in wet conditions, but I always get caught out at least once. Like today turning left at a junction doing 28mph on quarter throttle in 2nd, and the back end stepped out.

Very entertaining for people watching but heart stopping for me.

Is this the norm? Or am I just very unlucky?
What rwd, non-tc equipped cars, weighing under 1300kg and with over 200bhp, have you owned before the S2000?

Old 11-18-2007, 11:04 AM
J_D

I thought as much. Its just a shame when you compare it to dry driving, because there unbelievable in the dry, and not much can touch them. But as soon as your in the wet, a nissan micra can out corner you lol .

The rain cooling the tyres must have something to do with it Im sure.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:05 AM

get rid of the S03's for a start ,i did about 400 miles ago difference is remarkable,have you had your alignment checked/adjusted i had mine done by cg not long after changing the S03'S.

the test drive after in the pouring rain (not me driving ) was nothing short of amazing.(70/80 mph around a island) changed my opinion of the s in the wet.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
ge2

Or just be smoother with the throttle.....
Old 11-18-2007, 11:11 AM
J_D

Originally Posted by motogp1,Nov 18 2007, 12:05 PM
get rid of the S03's for a start ,i did about 400 miles ago difference is remarkable,have you had your alignment checked/adjusted i had mine done by cg not long after changing the S03'S.

the test drive after in the pouring rain (not me driving ) was nothing short of amazing.(70/80 mph around a island) changed my opinion of the s in the wet.
The SO3's arn't really an issue, as they are on the front, and find they tun in very well, what ever the weather. I may consider the geo doing at some point, but not enough to warrant driving at those kind of speeds in the wet
Old 11-18-2007, 11:26 AM

also if you are at a stop...get the car going straight before turning....if you try going forward with your front tires turned it goes sideways way too easy in the rain
Old 11-18-2007, 11:32 AM

Same situation here, my wife has an S2K which we brough new from Well Lane (Euro Import), it's done about 3k steady miles and tyres are in very good condition.

I'm working away at the moment and she phoned me today to sell me it had been peeing it down, and she had gone around a roundabout at no more than 10 miles an hour and the back end went out about 45 degrees and she pooped herself.

She has been on a skid pan before but forgot what they had taught her.

I really don't want her getting caught out like this again as if something happened I would not live with myself, I got her this car as a present.

Do honda offer the stability control system as retrofit on 07 cars? If so I will have this done, otherwise the S will have to go to make way for something a bit less lail happy, a real shame as she loves the car.

Quick Reply: Wet Condition Driving