S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

resonator?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resonator?

ok ive been reading a bit... and im seeing these guys that remove their resonator from their stock exhaust... ummm im curious what they mean... i mean i know what a resonator is, but, are they talking about the cat? or is there something else that you take off?

also what people are referring to as the "airbox mod" are they just talking about taking the lid off the stock one, or is there more to it than that?
Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Resonator, is just that, remove it and replace with a straight pipe, you can do that to the cat as well.

Airbox mod is cutting out the divider inside the box and plugging the hole. You can go a step futher and drill a hole on the side box and run a tube to the front.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Apr 22 2008, 05:39 PM
Resonator, is just that, remove it and replace with a straight pipe, you can do that to the cat as well.

Airbox mod is cutting out the divider inside the box and plugging the hole. You can go a step futher and drill a hole on the side box and run a tube to the front.
what hole do you mean? the front hole? is this with or without the lid?

and does the res unbolt or do you have to take it off?
Old 04-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2k demon,Apr 22 2008, 05:29 PM
ok ive been reading a bit... and im seeing these guys that remove their resonator from their stock exhaust... ummm im curious what they mean... i mean i know what a resonator is, but, are they talking about the cat? or is there something else that you take off?

also what people are referring to as the "airbox mod" are they just talking about taking the lid off the stock one, or is there more to it than that?
they mean the resonator, the muffler before the mufflers and it has to be cut out and a straight pipe welded in place ...theres a few comparison vids on youtube of stock exhaust no resonator and stock exhasut no resonator no cat..heres 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhtEwl3ixXc

resonator
Old 04-25-2008, 11:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k demon,Apr 22 2008, 05:29 PM

resonator is a device installed by the honda to control certain type of noise, most likely high pitch tone, droning or excessive high rpm tone. your intake has a resonator and so does your exhaust.

cat is a convertor, it takes out the "bad" stuff in the waste gas and convert it to something else(less bad)

taking lid off intake box will sounds cool but you will see a drop in performance/gas mileage for the hotter incoming gas(less dense oxygen)

modern exhaust are computer design and does pretty well in term of noise and power, you will not see a hugh gain by replacing part of it.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:10 PM

so that link to that exhaust video, is with the resonator off and the reast is stock? how much louder is that than stock and is there now drone? would this affect proformance or gas mileage?