UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Don't mess with the S, cos the S don't mess

Old 07-26-2009, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't mess with the S, cos the S don't mess

Sadly another one bites the dust. After nearly 4 years ownership and barely any incidents, I manage to stack it on a straight road at about 35 miles per hour.. As repeatedly pointed out on here, you have to ALWAYS respect the car and I made the mistake of putting a little too much power down on an uneven road surface with light drizzle falling. Didn't help that the rears needed replacing with barely 2mm left either.

The result was a lack of traction and the power threw the back end out, span me off the road, into a solid stone gatepost. The car bounced from that into the oppositive one and back into the road facing the right direction. I actually thought I'd flipped it seems I'd done a 360. As you can see from the pics, 3 corners were completely wrecked, but it's reassuring that the cab wasn't damaged at all and I stumbled out with only one small bruise on my thigh.

Luckily the insurance paid out quickly, without disputing and I got the full market rate...

It's sad to see such a beautiful car ruined, and my overriding memory before I had even finished crashing was 'oh no the S has gone!'

Edited by Mikey K - Guests cannot sell and members are not allowed to post FS items in the particular forum.

Picked up a mean black Brera 3.2 SV JTS Q4 this week and loving it so far. Splits opinion I know but I've been impressed with the performance, it looks gorgeous and has the same kind of head turning exclusivity as the S.

Thanks everyone for your help in the past and maybe I'll be back on here when I've done with this one.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:25 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Glad your okay though....
Old 07-26-2009, 03:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Well, a fortunate outcome at least.

Glad someone's bought a Brera; they look lovely and I believe there is now some aftermarket suspension that will improve the poor damping and excess unsprung weight.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ouch...bad luck fella.

Just goes to show what can happen if the tyres need replacing and you're a bit over-exuberant.

for the Brera...seriously good looking car.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say 2mm thread? are we talking 2mm above the wear indicators? or below...

Glad your ok!
Old 07-26-2009, 04:51 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

35mph?
Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 AM

Jeepers - the poor S is in a bad way!

I'm so pleased you're ok! Sad to see an S go this way but wish you all the best with your new car - the Brera is a beautiful-looking car!
Old 07-26-2009, 05:37 AM

Received 247 Likes on 212 Posts

A wee bruise is a result from any accident, looked at a a Brera, massive discount but depreciation is frightening even so, my mate bought it in the end, so at least I still get a run in it.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:21 AM
UK Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear abut your accident.

Glad you're OK.

Bharat
Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 AM

Thanks, yes a lot of people have said I'm lucky, doesn't feel like it when the car you love is in a tangle though.

Gadaffi, yes about that speed - a taxi driver who saw it told the police I wasn't going quickly and they were satisfied. Would have been quicker obviously if the power had gone down, not span it out

Quick Reply: Don't mess with the S, cos the S don't mess