S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Can i tint the rear window on my S2000?

Old 07-17-2002, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i tint the rear window on my S2000?

Has anyone done this before? I dont have the rear glass window, but i really want to tint my windows, but not sure if its possible to tint my rear window... it would look weird if i just had my front windows tinted. if anyone did this, can you post up some pics? thanks!
Old 07-17-2002, 04:37 PM

Yes, do a search on Static Cling Tint. You can buy this stuff from Home Depot and do it yourself. It's not a permanent solution, and you can take it off anytime you like.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Does anyone have a template to use.. I would love to try this for kicks... or suggestions?

Opps maybe I should do a search
Old 07-17-2002, 06:24 PM

Keep in mind that tinting is not legal in most states. Cops are starting to pay a lot more attention to it. My brother is a cop and he tickets every one he can with illegal tinting. He won't write a speeding ticket unless it is 25 over but he feels tinted windows put his life at risk. Check your state law. Most have a percentage of tinting that is allowed. Usually the cutoff is around 20 % tint. The problem is that the windows in most cars have a small 10% amount of tint from the factory. If you add a 20% tint aftermarket you are now at 30% and illegal. It also restricts your night vision.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GeorgeP
Keep in mind that tinting is not legal in most states. Cops are starting to pay a lot more attention to it. My brother is a cop and he tickets every one he can with illegal tinting. He won't write a speeding ticket unless it is 25 over but he feels tinted windows put his life at risk. Check your state law. Most have a percentage of tinting that is allowed. Usually the cutoff is around 20 % tint. The problem is that the windows in most cars have a small 10% amount of tint from the factory. If you add a 20% tint aftermarket you are now at 30% and illegal. It also restricts your night vision.
Pardon me but he only wanted to tint his rear window So if I were to drive by your brother going 64 mph in a 40mph zone i wont get a ticket unless I have my windows tinted???
Old 07-17-2002, 10:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGal
[B]Does anyone have a template to use.. I would love to try this for kicks...
Old 07-17-2002, 11:24 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rstark
[B]
HondaGal, it's so easy, anyone can do it.
Old 07-18-2002, 12:04 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveUCI
[B]Great self-install instructions!!
Old 07-18-2002, 02:59 AM

Phooey. It does not restrict your night vision at all and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I have 35% and it's perfectly fine and you can also see the driver well enough if you're standing next to it. I've never been harassed by the law either. Same goes for not having a stupid front license plate on my S. Stick it to the Man!

I prefer tint because it keeps the car cool, the A/C works better and you're never annoyed (or burned) with the sun on the driver's side. I'll take skin cancer protection over the law any day.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:08 AM

Tinting is done for one purpose, it restricts the amount of light passing throught the window. It certainly does restrict night vision. I have spent many years flying aircraft and any percentage of tint reduces vision both day and night. Most fighter pilots will fly an air combat engagement with a clear visor or visor up to allow the ability to see a target at the greatest distance even at high noon. I have been in tinted cars where it is very noticeable at night how restricted the vision is. If it made no difference you would see a lot more people driving with sunglasses on at night!

As far as skin cancer if you are concerned about that for the amount of time you are driving I think you bought the wrong car! Mine always has the top down in the day.

Quick Reply: Can i tint the rear window on my S2000?