Nevada S2000 Owners Las Vegas, Nevada and area

Autocross / Go-Karting

Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autocross / Go-Karting

Fellow s2ki members,

I'll be arriving in the area in April 2014 and I'm already excited to get there. Give me your impression on these if you have a sec:

Autocross
I looked up the local SCCA Region's website (link to their page) and I see a pretty healthy schedule. What other Autocross clubs are in the area? When I lived in Monterey, CA, there were at least 4 different clubs which hosted events almost every other week.

Go-Karts
What Go-Karting opportunities are in the area? Here's what I've found through Google so far, but I'd like to hear from you guys whether they are worth visiting:

Pole Position Raceway (link to their page)

Fast Lap Indoor Kart Racing (link to their page)

and of course, when I buy my own kart, there's the Las Vegas Speedway's Go-Kart track (link to their page with aerial track map)
Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 AM

My experience at Pole Position is bad. It's expensive, and you only get about 12 laps. They kill your kart if someone messes up on a corner so the few times I've been there I've only managed to get about 10 clean laps. It's a much nicer place to be than Fast Lap though.

Fast Lap is great. Not electric cars, and I usually can get about 18 good laps in.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM

anyone on here own their own shifter kart? Anyone have recommendations on what to buy from where? I'll probably have to hang out at the go kart track and ask a bunch of questions from the regulars
Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pingels
anyone on here own their own shifter kart? Anyone have recommendations on what to buy from where? I'll probably have to hang out at the go kart track and ask a bunch of questions from the regulars
I have one, but am thinking of selling... just don't use it much, especially since I broke a spindle bolt earlier this year.

If you're interested, it's a CRG chassis with a Honda CR125, trailer, kart, and spares for $1000obo. Won't go into too much detail, but.. IM if interested.

Otherwise, most people stick to indoor karting here. As mentioned above, PPR is electric, while Fast Lap is gas.

Pole Position:
Pros
- track changes periodically
- two locations
- karts at summerlin location are in great condition, while palms are in good condition
- clean environment and experience

Cons
- Electric karts makes it much harder to pass

Fast Lap:
Pros
- Gas karts
- More seat time for your money
- Definitely a back-yard type of operation with the workers rarely caring if you bump a bit.

Cons
- Every kart is in various states of repair. They are god awful. Some of the karts have steering wheels that are dramatically off-center. karts that crab-walk.
- gas/smells
- track never changes

Fast lap has always been a place to basically do crash derby. Don't go there expecting to have a competition of any sorts, since the karts are all dramatically different in their power, turning ability, and grip.

Pole Position is a better place to do a competition, but also costs much more.

Kart track at LVMS is getting much much better, and they are very welcoming to newcomers. It's a bumpy bumpy track, but it's still a blast. Just hardly any cover during the summer, but at $40-$60 to run all day, it's a steal.. assuming you have your own kart.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:10 PM

So... Are we gonna have a go-kart meet or what!?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:25 PM
LAE

Autocross:

The local region is pretty good. A little lax relative to strict SCCA locations that try to provide education for national events. The good end, usually 7 to 10 runs in the day as opposed to 3.
We have a venue that is pretty good for size that will allow reasonable courses - usually 45 to 50 seconds for a fast car.

My daily driver is a 2003 S but I currently autocross (with my wife as co-driver) a 95 Miata (46 ES). Great fun and good people.

There are usually two to four S2000s running. Most naturally aspirated but "JC" (our Region Solo Chair) has a supercharged CR.

I would welcome you (& your wife) to come and join the fun.

Regards,