S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Where to buy NSX/OEM rear calipers

Old 11-21-2016, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy NSX/OEM rear calipers

I'm looking to upgrade my rear brakes with an OEM solution. I measured the rear temps with a laser pyrometer, and they're cooking.

Requirements 1: clear AP2-V2 wheels, 2: some sort of OEM BBK for parts availability / serviceability and cost.

Exact fit is not mandatory as I can easily fabricate a mounting bracket.

NSX calipers all the way around would PERFECTLY fit my needs, they dual pistons up front, and bigger single pistons in the back. Fronts are not a problem as the Acura RL has the same two piston setup and is readily available. I'd like to run NSX rotors front/rear.

Honda however no longer sells the NSX rear calipers, and I can't seem to find anyone who sells them.

Anybody know a source for NSX rear calipers, and/or a comparable OEM caliper ?

I know fitting NSX calipers has been covered before, I just can't seem to find a vendor for them.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...sk-sk2-702779/
Old 11-23-2016, 08:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

why not run the Sakebomb RX-8 rear caliper conversion kit? Then run Accord V6 calipers in front? The sakebomb kit seems like it would suit your needs while making parts gathering much more simple. And the Accord V6 front calipers would be a decent upgrade as well.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/sponsor-...p-buy-1149952/
Old 11-23-2016, 12:59 PM

I'm considering the Sakebomb RX8 caliper kit, the only thing I'm concerned about is the availability of rotors. The Sakebomb kit uses custom sized rotors which I think are only available from them, so what happens *when* I need replacement rotors, and say Sakebomb decides to stop selling rotors?

I think I'm going to go with Acura Legend GS two piston calipers for the fronts. These are readily available, cheap, bolt-on and clear the AP2 wheels.

I still need to make sure the total piston area of the Legend GS fronts / RX8 rears has the same balance as the stock brakes, I'd really prefer to avoid a proportioning valve.

I know the Accord caliper piston area is bigger than the S2000, which gives excessive front bias. I think the RX8 rear caliper piston is bigger too, need to find out what the exact size is.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...roject-919883/

7th gen Accord Legend GS dual piston caliper conversion - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Old 11-24-2016, 12:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Has anybody successfully installed the Acura Legend GS 2 piston calipers? The thread you linked above just sorta died soon after it was started (in 2012). Interested to see if it is viable.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Szoylent Green
I'm looking to upgrade my rear brakes with an OEM solution. I measured the rear temps with a laser pyrometer, and they're cooking.
You do realize that MANY an S2000 Honda Challenge racer use OEM calipers with much success.

What temps are you seeing? Brake pads have an operating range that is acceptable. Have you considered you may have a sticky caliper or two?
Old 11-24-2016, 08:57 PM
Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Szoylent Green
I'm considering the Sakebomb RX8 caliper kit, the only thing I'm concerned about is the availability of rotors. The Sakebomb kit uses custom sized rotors which I think are only available from them, so what happens *when* I need replacement rotors, and say Sakebomb decides to stop selling rotors?

I think I'm going to go with Acura Legend GS two piston calipers for the fronts. These are readily available, cheap, bolt-on and clear the AP2 wheels.

I still need to make sure the total piston area of the Legend GS fronts / RX8 rears has the same balance as the stock brakes, I'd really prefer to avoid a proportioning valve.

I know the Accord caliper piston area is bigger than the S2000, which gives excessive front bias. I think the RX8 rear caliper piston is bigger too, need to find out what the exact size is.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...roject-919883/

7th gen Accord Legend GS dual piston caliper conversion - Honda Accord Forum : V6 Performance Accord Forums
Check out our SBG Designed Wilwood track-day big brake kit... $1300, directional curved vane 32mm thick highly efficient rotors, $100 ring replacements, and very light.

As far as brake balance, shoot us a PM with the piston size and rotor size... we can calculate for you. We've also got an inline pressure reducer to compensate for those wanting to run stock front brakes.

For brake rotors... we're not going anywhere, but in the case we do, we'll publish full specs and where to source replacement rotors other than us We don't intend to leave you guys, our Miata customers, rx8 customers. FD customers, etc high and dry if we flop (and we've got custom rotors for all these chassis) but we have zero intention of folding.

Originally Posted by freq
You do realize that MANY an S2000 Honda Challenge racer use OEM calipers with much success.

What temps are you seeing? Brake pads have an operating range that is acceptable. Have you considered you may have a sticky caliper or two?
Many people run through pads and rotors like water, and cracking rotors happens often, as well as cooking wheel bearings. No offense to Honda, the rest of the car is fantastic, but the brakes... are undersized and suck. Single slider front piston and solid rear rotor? Come on Honda, that's what we get on a MIATA :lol: which weighs much less, and had every penny of cost pulled out. The RX7 for instance has zero of these issues there's one reason why, vented wide rotors pulling out all the heat. "Making do" because of lack of options, and "success" are very different things

Last edited by SakeBomb Garage; 11-24-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 05:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage
Check out our SBG Designed Wilwood track-day big brake kit... $1300, directional curved vane 32mm thick highly efficient rotors, $100 ring replacements, and very light.

As far as brake balance, shoot us a PM with the piston size and rotor size... we can calculate for you. We've also got an inline pressure reducer to compensate for those wanting to run stock front brakes.

For brake rotors... we're not going anywhere, but in the case we do, we'll publish full specs and where to source replacement rotors other than us We don't intend to leave you guys, our Miata customers, rx8 customers. FD customers, etc high and dry if we flop (and we've got custom rotors for all these chassis) but we have zero intention of folding.

Many people run through pads and rotors like water, and cracking rotors happens often, as well as cooking wheel bearings. No offense to Honda, the rest of the car is fantastic, but the brakes... are undersized and suck. Single slider front piston and solid rear rotor? Come on Honda, that's what we get on a MIATA :lol: which weighs much less, and had every penny of cost pulled out. The RX7 for instance has zero of these issues there's one reason why, vented wide rotors pulling out all the heat. "Making do" because of lack of options, and "success" are very different things
Of course there is always a vendor here to sell you an upgrade for your car. OP has never mentioned the track or what temps he's seeing.

Why stop at $1300, lets spec out some CCBs for the S2000.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by freq

After a couple laps, I measured the fronts at about 400, but both sides on the rear were cooking at 700F. Calipers not sticking, wheels spin perfectly fine, zero drag on the rotors when not engaged.

I'm concerned that all that heat will cook the rear wheel bearings. The rear brakes are TINY, they're the same size as a MX5 which is about 2/3 the weight and has less and has half the HP.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by SakeBomb Garage

The Sakebomb RX8 kit is very likely the one I'll end up going with. If it would have used RX8, or some other OEM sized readily available rotor, and came with the RX8 calipers at that price, I'd be filing out an order form right now.

Whilst I fully appreciate how much engineering design, testing effort, setting up manufacturing, and all of the logistics involved in making a kit like the RX8 rear caliper mount, its just a bit more than I personally would like to spend at the moment. Especially considering the amount of work that goes into such a kit, I think its a fair price.

That's why I was trying to find a set of NSX calipers/rotors because they are a bolt on solution.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by clio
Has anybody successfully installed the Acura Legend GS 2 piston calipers? The thread you linked above just sorta died soon after it was started (in 2012). Interested to see if it is viable.
They're commonly swapped on FWD Hondas, here's at least one person running NSX/Legend GS calipers on an S2000, with Racing Brake rotors:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...s2000-1072817/

Quick Reply: Where to buy NSX/OEM rear calipers