S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SOS Supercharger Question with diff

Old 06-25-2014, 12:41 PM
cmn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
dont do an upgraded diff. All you do after upgrading your diff is move the next weakest links (axles than tranny). Diffs aren't that expensive. If you go through one every couple of years thats a cost of boost IMO. Just don't launch and you'll be fine
If you don't upgrade, you will probably just keep braking differentials. I'm on my 3rd diff now. No launching at all, but full throttle pulls regularly. When the last one failed, it took the transmission with it as well. So when the diff breaks next time I will upgrade to something better. And then when the transmission breaks (if it does) again - Well, upgrade that as well... I'm turboed though, and at ~500whp.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmn
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1403728258' post='23218123
dont do an upgraded diff. All you do after upgrading your diff is move the next weakest links (axles than tranny). Diffs aren't that expensive. If you go through one every couple of years thats a cost of boost IMO. Just don't launch and you'll be fine
If you don't upgrade, you will probably just keep braking differentials. I'm on my 3rd diff now. No launching at all, but full throttle pulls regularly. When the last one failed, it took the transmission with it as well. So when the diff breaks next time I will upgrade to something better. And then when the transmission breaks (if it does) again - Well, upgrade that as well... I'm turboed though, and at ~500whp.

thanks for your Answer bro, but you ar turboed ! your power its different that supercharger its more agressive! you have more chance to break all .
Old 06-26-2014, 04:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm on stock diff still with 190k+ miles. I'm using vortech lot at 14 psi making 422whp. No launched but countless wot pulls even from 1st. No issues with diff at all. Been boosted since 125k miles.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Moddiction
I'm on stock diff still with 190k+ miles. I'm using vortech lot at 14 psi making 422whp. No launched but countless wot pulls even from 1st. No issues with diff at all. Been boosted since 125k miles.
Excellent !! thanks bro!!
Old 07-06-2014, 07:26 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cmn
Originally Posted by s.hasan546' timestamp='1403728258' post='23218123
No offense but it might be your driving style than. There are a lot of boosted ny metro members on stock diffs. I haven't seen any viable transmission upgrades for a street able car either so it's not as easy to just upgrade everything.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I upgraded my diff because my first fi s2000 though a creampuff never had the diff fluid changed 59k miles and the car would get an oscillating vibration that I couldn't track down. well one day I took the car out and the drive line just didn't feel right so I turn around and head home. now I had just upped the boost to 11psi up from 7psi on the way home going down a 2lane highway I go over a bump at 70-75mph I chop the throttle and the next thing I know the car is spinning and then I was in the trees. had the car towed home and the diff had let go on decel locked the wheels for a split second and thats all it took. wish I would have launched it that day instead would have saved my car.

on my current car I decided I would build the diff got ct engineering main cap upgrade and j's racing pinion collar. I attempted to build it myself and everything looked correct but 500 miles later my pinion was loose. the j's racing pinion collar is much harder to set than the crush collar. after consulting ben [puddymod] I sent my diff to him he went through it and set it up correctly for a very good price great guy to work with. funny thing was that while I didn't set the pinion preload tight enough he found that the ring gear had unacceptable runout from Honda and I didn't think to check it . I am running 12psi boost with 360whp and 240tq been running that for 5k miles. the diff fluid looks great I have changed it 3 times now. if you know your car has been well maintained then you could be fine. as I say when non car people ask me why I run r compound tires or spend all this money on suspension brakes and beefing the drive train [what's your life worth] as in if your going to almost double the output of your car you should upgrade everything that is be beyond its limits

Old 07-07-2014, 01:06 PM

thanks a lot !!!!!
Old 07-07-2014, 04:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To upgrade or not upgrade, this is the question. If you decide that you do want to upgrade the diff, I would also suggest PuddyMod. He did my diff and it is quite a piece of work...total quality. i would also have to agree that upgrading the diff then just makes something else in the driveline the weak link...axles or driveshaft or tranny. Driveshaft Shop makes some very nice axles and driveshafts... Oh what we do to go fast.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bringing this thread back to life , i also am considering soso stage 1 for an extra 100whp just to have fun no launching craziness or nothing, just pulls on highway is all. im on stock differential 18k miles on my s2000. do youthink i should be fine as long as i ride responsibly not like a dick and launch my cars every green light.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My thoughts and personal experiences.

Ap1= boom. Diff breaks asap.

Ap2= real good.

my buddy is pulling 500whp outta a kraftswerks kit. His is track only car. He supercharged it in January 2016. He tracks his S2k every month and very hard and competes nationally.

He is running a completely stock 05 drivetrain. Except clutch obviously. No tranny diff axles or bearing issues. He runs redline fluids like me.

If ur diff is healthy, change ur fluid to redline or something good and u should b good.

He has never launched the car.

He said if his diff blows he will go with puddymod diff.

So imo, change fluids to real race stuff and u should b good!