S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

HKS SSM - 1st impressions

Old 03-24-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zivman
I have everything installed. The exhaust is awesome. It sounds like a legit race car without being obnoxious. Zero drone. Couldn't be happier at this point
nice. Let's see pictures of the header installed! Would it pass as stock with the shield on at smog stations?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nos4you
nice. Let's see pictures of the header installed! Would it pass as stock with the shield on at smog stations?

Old 03-24-2017, 08:17 PM

Looks stock from the top but if they peek from the bottom its a dead give a way the way those pipes wrap around lol
Old 05-04-2017, 12:57 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

still really wanting this exhaust, only thing that makes me step away from it is the amount of rasp..
Old 05-04-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you also have the HKS catalytic converter installed? I remember seeing on their Japanese webpage that when combined with the cat and header, this exhaust actually makes power. It wasn't anything crazy significant, but they had some shrunken down graph that showed a small peak in power and an overall gain across the board.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by TofuProductions
still really wanting this exhaust, only thing that makes me step away from it is the amount of rasp..
have you heard it in person? the 'rasp' in this exhaust is like (but different) the burbles you hear in the focus RS exhaust.. it is there by design. I have a 350z, and some exhausts for that car have rasp which isn't anything like what I hear in the SSM...

if you don't like the sound, you don't like the sound. It's obviously subjective, but I wouldn't call this exhaust a raspy one
Old 05-05-2017, 09:15 AM

have you heard it in person? the 'rasp' in this exhaust is like (but different) the burbles you hear in the focus RS exhaust.. it is there by design. I have a 350z, and some exhausts for that car have rasp which isn't anything like what I hear in the SSM...

if you don't like the sound, you don't like the sound. It's obviously subjective, but I wouldn't call this exhaust a raspy one
Unfortunately, I have not. Obviously YouTube videos can only bring me so far, haha.

No one here in my area has the SSM, which bums me out. I've definitely heard the new focus RS exhaust, but am not sure how 'similar' that burble would be to the SSM. Nearly every video recording I've heard with various cameras on the SSM all have the same "rasp" note that drives me absolutely nuts. Other than that though, the SSM is probably one of my favorite sounding and looking exhausts for the S.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:57 AM

Unfortunately, I have not. Obviously YouTube videos can only bring me so far, haha.

No one here in my area has the SSM, which bums me out. I've definitely heard the new focus RS exhaust, but am not sure how 'similar' that burble would be to the SSM. Nearly every video recording I've heard with various cameras on the SSM all have the same "rasp" note that drives me absolutely nuts. Other than that though, the SSM is probably one of my favorite sounding and looking exhausts for the S.
Im not saying they are similar in the sense they sound the same... I am saying they are intentional.

You may not like the sound... but while I can say the youtube videos are accurate, in person the exhaust sounds different. I know the raspy sound you are referring to.... I would say most videos you hear it in are with the exhaust just installed and doing free revs; the sound becomes a bit more refined as it breaks in.

I would say the exhaust sounds like a race car... a controlled race car. loud when you want it t be loud, and quiet when want it to be quite. I haven't had an experience with an exhaust that allows you to cruise around town and on the highway with no drone or drama... basically just a slight change in exhaust note. You hammer the gas and get above 6 grand and it screams. it's a lot of money for an exhaust, so make sure you like it before you buy it, but I think you are being hypersensitive to a couple youtube videos
Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 AM

Im not saying they are similar in the sense they sound the same... I am saying they are intentional.

You may not like the sound... but while I can say the youtube videos are accurate, in person the exhaust sounds different. I know the raspy sound you are referring to.... I would say most videos you hear it in are with the exhaust just installed and doing free revs; the sound becomes a bit more refined as it breaks in.

I would say the exhaust sounds like a race car... a controlled race car. loud when you want it t be loud, and quiet when want it to be quite. I haven't had an experience with an exhaust that allows you to cruise around town and on the highway with no drone or drama... basically just a slight change in exhaust note. You hammer the gas and get above 6 grand and it screams. it's a lot of money for an exhaust, so make sure you like it before you buy it, but I think you are being hypersensitive to a couple youtube videos
haha, I definitely can agree with you there about a bit hypersensitive, of course we both know the YouTube videos only can do so much "accurately".

Thanks for the feedback though, the quality of the exhaust though is definitely pretty impressive.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:31 PM

haha, I definitely can agree with you there about a bit hypersensitive, of course we both know the YouTube videos only can do so much "accurately".

Thanks for the feedback though, the quality of the exhaust though is definitely pretty impressive.
Videos enhance the rasp really. It is not as raspy as other I have heard. Definitely pair it with a HFC to keep the rasp down though as it is more pronounced with a test pipe. But honestly you need to hear it for yourself. everyone that hears it always compliments it.

Quick Reply: HKS SSM - 1st impressions