S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - ECU and Tuning Discusson

Old 08-19-2015, 05:45 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I was pretty much set on it but then Gernby mentioned it was stupid to run a tune from another car (which is obvious) but since most STR builds are the same as Brian took into account, it should be fine. My concern was since i dont have the pwjdm intake and will run the gernby midpipe(str version), will it be too "off"?
Plus my elevation. 4700ft, but i do see 10000ft back down to sea level all within a weekend cruise. Brian said he could adjust the tune to be leaner since the base tune would run my car rich at my elevation, but will it be ok everywhere else?
Old 08-19-2015, 06:13 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
I was pretty much set on it but then Gernby mentioned it was stupid to run a tune from another car (which is obvious) but since most STR builds are the same as Brian to into account, it should be fine. My concern was since i dont have the pwjdm intake and will run the gernby midpipe(str version), will it be too "off"?
Plus my elevation. 4700ft, but i do see 10000ft back down to sea level all within a weekend cruise. Brian said he could adjust the tune to be leaner since the base tune would run my car rich at my elevation, but will it be ok everywhere else?
An S2000 is MAP based and, therefore, tuned against pre-defined volumetric efficiency assumptions. If you change any breathing mods, such as intake, cat, etc, you are changing the volumetric efficiency of the motor. The ECU has no way to realize the VE of the motor does not match the VE of the tune. While the S2000 can be tolerant of inaccuracies in the volumetric efficiency (you might make power by incorrectly going lean), you wouldn't want to run a tune for a different set of power mods. Identical mods across two different cars, maybe.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't disagree with Gernby's statement. I do agree that ideally every vehicle needs to be tuned for their bolt-ons for maximum power. However; the facts continue to shown in all the tuning we have performed with the GReddy e-Manage units, the cars all desire extremely similar fuel and ignition adjustments on many different setups. With all the e-Manage data from customer and shop vehicles, our base tunes are comprised of the most conservative adjustments (for customer vehicle safety), yet they still all follow the same trends in the tuning. So even at the most conservative adjustment levels on the base tunes we provide, they continue to surprise us and show very impressive gains for a slapped on tune. I'm working to put some more info together on all of this to share, but I was able to test a bone stock AP2 recently, and it was still very impressive to see gains on a bone stock setup. I will admit that most of our customers run the PLM header, as it is by far the best bang for the buck, but the base tunes have also showed great gains on Berk, Skunk2, OEM, and Toda headers. They have proven gains on many different exhausts. And all customer cars either have been using a Berk 63mm or 70mm HFC. I will say that without yet testing the Gernby midpipe, and with your elevation, I am a bit hesitant to offer something for your situation. At the same time, we do leave an unlocked portion of the base tune available to fine tune your AFR and ignition if you decide to take the car to a competent GReddy e-Manage Ultimate tuner. Also something to note is not one area of our base tune removes fuel over an OEM ECU. The OEM ECU's stock fuel map will run these engines quite lean at WOT after installing bolt-ons. If anything, the base tune will be safer for the motor as we are either leaving fueling the same, but in 90% of the table, adding fuel. When I had stated I could make the tune a tad leaner for your elevation, instead of areas where we are increasing fueling 10% over the OEM ecu, I would potentially decrease that just a tad.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

so you're saying I need to send you my gernpipe when it arrives ? I dont think there are any E-manage tuners within a days drive of me. Itd be easier to fly you out to me.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Is it possible to buy just the Karcept base tune and then just fine tune the fueling yourself?
Or do they lock their tunes so you can't see or change them yourself?
Old 08-20-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
Is it possible to buy just the Karcept base tune and then just fine tune the fueling yourself?
Or do they lock their tunes so you can't see or change them yourself?
Two posts above.

Originally Posted by Karcepts
...At the same time, we do leave an unlocked portion of the base tune available to fine tune your AFR and ignition if you decide to take the car to a competent GReddy e-Manage Ultimate tuner....
Old 08-21-2015, 07:11 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Yeah sorry, I read it but didn't really understand what they meant.
I thought it was only possible to password protect the whole tune and not just part of it, now when I look at the settings I see all the tables have an individual setting.
I'm kind of interested to buy their tune myself if it was possible without sending the GEMU out to them and back.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by ok2000
Maybe this is a dumb question (in which case I apologize for the thread necromancy), but it seems that the only reason we can't run a K-Pro on 00-05 cars is because the K-Pro and AP2v2 ECUs are expecting a hall-effect sensor for the TDC and crankshaft position inputs, while the AP1/AP2v1 is equipped with variable reluctance sensors. Given that section 14.10 clause F.3 specifically allows inline components to alter signals between the sensors and the ECU why not simply convert a VR sensor to a hall-effect square wave using something like an LM1815 (or a premade board like this) and then stuff the K-Pro into an S2000 ECU enclosure?

My STR build is still in its infancy, but when I finally get around to ECU tuning, this seems like a much better option than mucking about with piggyback systems.
Missed this post somehow. At first, it seemed like an interesting solution, albeit expensive due to the cost of KPro. However, I think you'd run into trouble trying to fit the KPro guts in the stock S2000 ECU housing. If you Google images of the two, you'll see threaded bosses that protrude into the interior cavity of the S2000 housing. The RSX ECU housing doesn't have these threaded features and the board is able to extend all the way to the edge of the rectangular volume. The S2000 board is profiled to fit around the threaded features. Using the connector width dimension as a constant between the two housings, that's how I see it. Cool idea, though.
Old 01-29-2017, 12:20 PM

Here is my Harness, it does not have the MAP Tap but rather the MAP Intercept. Do I need to modify this if I do not plan on messing with rev limiter? From what I have read that is the reasoning behind this modification correct? Described here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ra.../#post21928764
The ECU must have some filtering hardware, RC network? Could we just add a RC filter to this circuit to clean it up to eliminate the problem. It appears that the GEMU does not have any filtering therefore it picks up quick transitions on the map sensor and then drives the output accordingly in which the ECU cannot filter as it is a lower impedance output.
Also, I do not have a VSS input, what are the benefits of having this hooked up? I could hook this up if I did the MAP tap as it would free up a wire.

Last edited by Zuikan; 02-26-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:27 PM

Can you do A/F target map without the ECT connection? If no, Can you fake it out with a voltage divider?

Quick Reply: STR Prep - ECU and Tuning Discusson