S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cross country road trip advice?

Old 01-26-2017, 03:46 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
So I'm really getting the bug lately to do a cross country trip from WV to Arizona to see my sister. I'd like to pass through Colorado on the way and check out some of the National parks in the Colorado/Utah area. Since I'm going that far I may as well hit the west coast too. I really want to take the S because I really DON'T want to drive my 2004 CR-V and regret it on every twisty mountain road I encounter. This trip is also about the driving experience for me. Now this will probably require at least 6-7 nights minimum on the road and I would like to camp a few nights to save money as well as enjoy the nights out West. This may simply be impossible with the S2000 but I'd like some advice on at least trying to work out the logistics. I'm not TOO worried about comfort in the S because I drove it 1000 miles home when I purchased it with no complaints. My girlfriend will be going with me as well but we can both pack pretty light and wash clothes at my sister's at the halfway point. She is perfectly happy riding in the S2000 all day.
I don't even own a tent. Any recommendations on a small, easily packable tent for two? I'm I out of my mind to even try it? Any tips on minimalist packing? Haha.
I'm also worried I'll see some awesome dirt roads to explore out west and wish I had a different car for that. If money were no object I'd just keep the S at home and buy a new WRX for the trip...lol.
Way back in 1985, my wife and I drove from Columbus, Ohio to San Diego and then up to the San Francisco Bay area during a move when I was in the Navy. Drove I-70 through Colorado, then worked our way up and passed through Arches National Park, then angled through Monument Valley and saw the Grand Canyon before Phoenix. Great trip! It's hard to go wrong with any of the National Parks, especially the major ones out west. I would highly recommend taking your car up to Yosemite and going across the park to Tioga Pass (not just staying in Yosemite Valley) and taking Highway 180 from Fresno to Kings Canyon National Park if you happen to be going that far north. Highway 9 from Saratoga to Santa Cruz is also awesome, as is Hwy 1 south of Monterey down Big Sur. California has some really spectacular driving roads. For a tent, any good outdoors store would have a decent tent (I like REI). After a long drive, however, you may long for a nice, soft bed! Have a great trip and post some pics!
Old 01-26-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement! I'm not sure exactly when I'm going, in the next 6 months anyway. I'll report back with pics.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not cross country... but a weekend away to play golf and hit the twisty roads of the highlands, accompanied by a trip to costco and cheap beer.... this image contains a weekend travel bag, a set of golf clubs, 60 beer and some other miscellaneous junk

Name:  E88846E6-34C6-46B7-99CD-9DB8B47F0BB8_2.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  289.0 KB
Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dave_
not cross country... but a weekend away to play golf and hit the twisty roads of the highlands, accompanied by a trip to costco and cheap beer.... this image contains a weekend travel bag, a set of golf clubs, 60 beer and some other miscellaneous junk

Haha, yeah the S2000 does have quite a trunk for its size and purpose. I bet its as big as many compact cars from the eighties...lol.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

I've done Chicago to CA and a bunch of other southwest states. I did this trip alone and loved it.

Also Chicago to Myrtle Beach, with a dragon trip on the way back. I did this with my GF. The interior is a little annoying for 2 people - only 1 cup holder, lack of storage and elbow room, etc. But...she's my wife now. So the trip couldn't have been that bad lol.

Organize your stuff well. Empty the trash at every rest stop. And buy the large coffee. You can share it, and the stupid cup holder actually holds it.

My S2000 is due for another road trip. I have east and west coast trips planned this summer...but I think both include mountains....and biking on them. Luckily, she drives a sporty station wagon on MPSS's.

I'll take another macho solo trip in the S one of these years.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Pro tip: wrap your spare tyre tools in a shirt or blanket. Put them over the spare tyre. Remove the tool kit foam holder from the trunk.

This frees up some cubic inches for luggage.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
If you haven't done it already, wrap the jack and OEM tools in a towel and place them inside the rim for the spare tire. That will free up a bunch of trunk space.
Originally Posted by B serious
Pro tip: wrap your spare tyre tools in a shirt or blanket. Put them over the spare tyre. Remove the tool kit foam holder from the trunk.

This frees up some cubic inches for luggage.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Earplugs are a must. Doesn't hurt to bring a soft pillow and use it as extra cusion.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I go on trips with my S2000 I always leave the spare at home. You can fit 2 bags in that space. And the tools fit left next where the spare sits under the dropped roof. You can put your coats and vests behind the front seats.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Polini
When I go on trips with my S2000 I always leave the spare at home. You can fit 2 bags in that space. And the tools fit left next where the spare sits under the dropped roof. You can put your coats and vests behind the front seats.

ehhhh. what if you get a flat tyre somwhere in the middle of bat country?

Quick Reply: Cross country road trip advice?