S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Want steering feel?

Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
Originally Posted by victory423' timestamp='1312932669' post='20862769
[quote name='CKit' timestamp='1312860859' post='20859810']
I would like to see someone autocross or track without EPS (not being a smartass) and post impressions.

The steering effort is high enough that driver fatigue would probably become an issue in a racing situation. The question is, without the fatigue, would the enhanced steering feel decrease lap times? My guess, on a slow tight autocross, probably not. On a course composed of high speed turns, maybe.

I'm not in it to win it. I just want to be more involved. This mod gives me that.
My guess, no. the steering feel of a stock S2K is amazingly on point... and the only car I've driven on the street on a race track that was better was a F430 Scuderia. The Lotus Exige is close 2nd.

Fatigue is far worse than a slightly less than perfect steering feel.
[/quote]

Steering feel and steering accuracy/responsiveness are two very different things. The S2000 has poor steering feel. It has excellent accuracy/responsiveness.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree, electric power steering systems are known for poor feel, only more recently released cars using electric power steering systems are getting good write ups from motoring journalists
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can attest to this.

I just unscrewed the 70A fuse on the drivers side small fuse box...and voila!

It's really not very difficult to turn the wheel at all without it. (and I'm only 5' 6" and 120 lbs)

I did it because My EPS would go out randomly...so I would have to give a little extra force to turn the wheel...
HOWEVER, then it would kick back in, and turn the wheel very hard in that direction...even if i was done turning :/

So I feared it may happen at high speeds, and didn't want to die that way lol so I removed it, and am happy i did :]
Old 11-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JackS
It's something you get use to. When I was a kid, I had a Buick v8 Le Sabre w/o PS. The only problem that I can remember was paralell parking in town. Imagine nowadays trying this with a 2+ ton auto. other than that, it was a great Hyw cruiser.
My 5'3" mother used to drive a Chevy half ton truck with no power assist on the steering. I remember her calling it "armstrong power steering".
Old 11-29-2012, 05:58 PM

so you pop the fuse back in and it all is back to normal? if so i might try this, given i find the right fuse...
Old 11-30-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC
To the OP, you felt nothing but a butt dyno. I have been running without EPS for over a year now. Not by choice, I have a complicated problem to which I have yet to find a solution. The EPS system in the s2000 is not a "full on" power steering system. It is electronically assisted. Once you get up to speed, the power steering backs off completely (I don't know exactly what speed that is off the top of my head, but I think it's somewhere like 25mph.) Anything over 25mph or so on a car with EPS working correctly is 0 assistance. The EPS is fully active at 0mph, then gradually eases off.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you guys having problem with eps did you check the ground wire?
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 AM

New to S2KI. Sorry if this is well known old info, but I did find this on Modifry; maybe it's helpful?

http://modifry.com/freebies/eps.htm

I couldn't find it linked directly from Modifry's site. I found it on google.

The article does not talk about if the hack was successful, but it looks interesting.

Fatty
Old 06-08-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

thx for the link.
never saw this.

i had few month ago a case that EPS went into safe mode and steering was unassisted - the car was pretty undrivable....
Old 06-08-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

During winter storage 2012 I sent my instrument cluster out for an LED upgrade. I only got the cluster back about 6 weeks after spring driving season started. I drove the car without an instrument cluster for that period of time, and at the same time I noticed that the power steering was greatly reduced. I wouldn't say that it was totally shut off, just more steering effort required, but there was still some assist at low speeds. I didn't link the two issues together I just thought my power steering system may be dying on me. I hadn't driven the car for a few months prior to this, so I couldn't remember how much steering effort the car normally had. Plus in winter months I am used to driving a big SUV with lots of assist, so that made my memory worse, lol.

When I got my cluster back and installed I noticed an instant increase in power steering assist, and the EPS light was lit up upon first start-up of the car. The EPS system light was likely triggered the whole time but I could not see it without a cluster in place. The EPS light quickly went away soon after driving with the cluster in place, nothing else needed. I found myself jerking the front end way too much as I wasn't used to all of the power assist. At that point I much preferred the previous steering effort, it just felt much more precise with less assist.

Again, I am positive the entire assist was not off, it just felt like the assist was lowered a good bit. When the steering assist was lowered it was accompanied by a loud humming or grinding noise in the front end as the wheel was turned at low speeds. It was if the motor was working but at very low assist levels and it sounded very laboured and barely able to turn the front wheels at low speeds. It was like the motor was at it's very limit of ability to turn the front end and the motor was being over-loaded. I actually posted up about my steering noise/grind, but I didn't get many replies, and I never associated it with having my cluster removed. With the new cluster in place I never heard the noise again as assist was fully restored.

I now wish that I could replicate that situation as I much prefer the lower assist level, but I don't want to have it totally unassisted as I know what that is like and I don't care much for "Arm-strong" steering. I've driven vehicles in the past without power steering and I don't care for that nowadays, but a tad less assist would be perfect.

I just thought I'd share my experience.

Quick Reply: Want steering feel?