S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Want steering feel?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep digging guys.
Would be great to find an in between.

I usualy run without electric power steering in my Cobalt as steering is just too light otherwise.
Only time I miss it is under 20 mph and even then I would only want it to be 25% of what normal power steering is.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 PM

Received 158 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Keri
Can't you just remove P/S?
This isn't a Civic, you can't just remove the pump and loop the lines, lol.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM

i would just replace a relay with less voltage that way it will be nice at low speeds and then almost turned off at high speeds
Old 10-10-2011, 12:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Serg2K
There is one mod you could do that is completely free of charge. The technique mod.
I read somewhere that your sensitivity is greater if you pull at the wheel rather than push it. I think this is true.
Say you're turning left, pull with your left hand more, rather than pushing with your right, you can feel a lot more! Not saying you should use one hand! just more effort on the one nearest to where you are turning.

S

This is the exact opposite instruction I got from my driving instructor. Push the steering wheel, not pull, for better control.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i was tought the opposite by few sports driving instructors.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by civicej8
i would just replace a relay with less voltage that way it will be nice at low speeds and then almost turned off at high speeds
Lowering the voltage for the EPS motor will likely have the EPS unit throw a fault of DTC 36 (Charge of the Motor Voltage) and I don't know if that will disable the EPS system either. There's too many unknowns for the EPS system, and unfortunately I won't be modifying my EPS any further than what I have accomplished.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:35 PM

btw could you take some pics of the bits in situ when you get a chance?
You got it.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

voltage multiplier: http://www.coolcircuit.com/circuit/voltage/

voltage clamp to erm not over volt the eps unit? http://www2.electronicproducts.com/V...2008-html.aspx

hopefully someone with more understamding of electronics than me (almost none) can chime in with some suggestions. And maybe design a circuit, box itand sell it for some bucks.

What exactly is the speed sensor output? 0 to 5 volt? linear response?
is this stupid?
Serg2k, I agree with your idea in principal - fool the EPS unit into thinking the vehicle's at a higher speed so there's much less electrical assist given? It could be a better way than just pulling the plug completely.

Although if I remember correctly I think that speed signals are generally digital pulses not an analogue voltage. So to do this you would need a voltage - frequency converter to feed the input of the EPS 'brain'. You would need to isolate the actual speed signal before applying your fake speed signal to the Vehicle Speed Sensor Input.

I have no idea what the frequency Vs Vehicle speeds are so that requires some work. Fetch the oscilloscope!!

This is from the NSX, but it's practically the same system....I think
Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, you felt nothing but a butt dyno. I have been running without EPS for over a year now. Not by choice, I have a complicated problem to which I have yet to find a solution. The EPS system in the s2000 is not a "full on" power steering system. It is electronically assisted. Once you get up to speed, the power steering backs off completely (I don't know exactly what speed that is off the top of my head, but I think it's somewhere like 25mph.) Anything over 25mph or so on a car with EPS working correctly is 0 assistance. The EPS is fully active at 0mph, then gradually eases off.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by victory423
Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1312860859' post='20859810
I would like to see someone autocross or track without EPS (not being a smartass) and post impressions.

The steering effort is high enough that driver fatigue would probably become an issue in a racing situation. The question is, without the fatigue, would the enhanced steering feel decrease lap times? My guess, on a slow tight autocross, probably not. On a course composed of high speed turns, maybe.

I'm not in it to win it. I just want to be more involved. This mod gives me that.
My guess, no. the steering feel of a stock S2K is amazingly on point... and the only car I've driven on the street on a race track that was better was a F430 Scuderia. The Lotus Exige is close 2nd.

Fatigue is far worse than a slightly less than perfect steering feel.

Quick Reply: Want steering feel?