S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Windshield replacement

Old 09-23-2005, 06:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

Another windshield questions...
I have to replace my windshield so I've called for at least 6 quotes. Some places insist that you have to replace the plastic trim (about $70 from Honda), while others say that you can almost always reuse them without any problems. I would tend to fall on the side of caution, but one of the glass shops that said you can reuse the glass was the shop that a Honda dealer recommended.

This is what I have so far:

1. Star windshield - local shop recommended by Rosenthal Honda - Pilkington glass - reuses the trim - $327

2. Perfection Autoglass - local shop - Pilkington or PPG glass - reuse trim - $421

3. Virginia Glass - local shop (all techs 18-25yrs experience) - PPG glass - replaces trim - $409

4. Royal Autoglass - local shop recommended by Shockley Honda - PPG glass - replaces the molding - $455

5. Safelite - National - safelite glass - replaces trim - $395

6. Diamond/Triumph - National - Pilkington glass - reuse trim or use universal molding - $253
Old 09-23-2005, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My window has been replaced, and I insisted the plastic trim piece be replaced. The shop that did the work said I could live without it and they were sort of insisting I don't replace it. Once they got into the job they called and said they changed their mind and they were glad to have the new seal.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

avoid safelite...crap glass. PPG is the way to go. PPG alsohas custom glass that you can order (cheap if you have glass insurance).....

Its a "transition" windshield....like glasses, when the sun hits it, the glass tints itself.....I will be getting one within the next few months.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:29 PM

make sure they will insure against breakage upon removal. I was supposed to get the trim replaced, but they had to haul the windshield to get to it. They said that it is like a 90% chance that it will break upon removal due to the way it was secured from the factory. They also said that another stock windshield will cost $500 if mine broke.

Needless to say, I dont have $500 sitting around to replace a windshield for a stupid plastic trim. I just had them remove it with a razor (cut exposed part off). The windshield surround should be painted the same color as the car.

It looks a bit funky with the top up, (IMO) looks much better with it down. All convertibles look weird with the top up. They are designed to look good w/top down!

John
Old 09-23-2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by jwa4378,Sep 23 2005, 12:29 PM
make sure they will insure against breakage upon removal. I was supposed to get the trim replaced, but they had to haul the windshield to get to it. They said that it is like a 90% chance that it will break upon removal due to the way it was secured from the factory. They also said that another stock windshield will cost $500 if mine broke.

Needless to say, I dont have $500 sitting around to replace a windshield for a stupid plastic trim. I just had them remove it with a razor (cut exposed part off). The windshield surround should be painted the same color as the car.

It looks a bit funky with the top up, (IMO) looks much better with it down. All convertibles look weird with the top up. They are designed to look good w/top down!

John
I'm not exactly following you, "make sure they insure against breakage upon removal", breakage of what - The windshield, which is already broken, or the trim, which they will probably replace? Also, I thought the windshield surround was black, not the paint color?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:00 PM

i doesnt have to be oem glass but make sure its ppg glass. and yes please get yourself a new moulding from honda. i watched them do my window and they shreaded that moulding taking it off. i suppose they could have reused it, but it woulda looks super gangster