S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 S2000 Engine ticking - Stumped!!

Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgoetz
No offense, but I think part of the issue is your lack of mechanical knowledge and buying a car with a rebuilt engine. Now your relying on others to tell you if there is an issue when there may not even be one. To me that last video sounds like loud valves or something top end related I hear zero rod knock. Post a video of it being reved to 3k and held for a moment and then blipped to 3k and let off a few times. If there is still no rod knock sounds my suggestion is to drive it for 1-2k miles change the oil and send it to Blackstone for $25. If there is a problem in the build you will get elevated Aluminum. If you get normal results then focus on the valve adjustment, to me it sounds very much like loose valves. Heck check your exhaust manifold to make sure you don't have a leak at the head or a leak at the cat. Do not pay people any more $ until you do these things!
generally speaking, the overall consensus is that a rebuilt engine is something you would go for to avoid having to have good mechanical knowledge and headaches. Of course, with the s2000 this is incorrect. It is my mistake for not digging into this website to discover that this engine doesn't rebuild well, but seriously, engine rebuilds are not a new concept. They shouldn't just go bad at 5k or even be worried about having problems for at least 100k, but oh well now.. The car makes no noises over 3k when just revving it that I can hear. I am very knowledgeable with cars and maintaining them and keeping them running, I just have never cracked into an engine block itself so I am at a loss at this point. I didn't believe I needed to be a qualified engine tech to own a "Honda"
Old 03-24-2017, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
i wasn't trying to be hard on him, I was trying to help and provide perspective, hence my use of "no offense". I think what I said is a valuable perspective that should be entertained before spending more $, but your right he can do whatever. If he wants to pay $250 for someone to look at his oil with a black light then ok....

I still advise going on the S2000 Cincinnati Facebook page and getting a shop reccomendation if the OP wants to go further down the rabbit hole
i have had 5 shops tell me it is toast or uneconomical to repair the car. The first of the shops has a 700hp s2k demon machine in their showroom and I at first thought they just wanted to get some business to build an engine but 4 shops later I believe they were just the first to bear the bad news.. I am going to pull the engine within a week or so, but i doubt it is fixable everyone who knows anything about these cars has given up as soon as they've heard it. Considering picking up the remains of a totalled 03 NFR with 88k on it as I could use the engine as well as a bunch of other body panels and parts on it.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

can you do a UOA, if for nothing else, for informational purposes? it's only $25 I believe.

you don't need to be a tech to own a s2000. but i guess the question would be, when you test drove the car before you bought it, did you hear the noise at that time?

has the oil level ever been low?

at this point, we are just trying to pinpoint the source of the noise because of the possibility that the bottom end might be okay.

whatever you decide to do, hope you keep us updated.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
can you do a UOA, if for nothing else, for informational purposes? it's only $25 I believe.

you don't need to be a tech to own a s2000. but i guess the question would be, when you test drove the car before you bought it, did you hear the noise at that time?

has the oil level ever been low?

at this point, we are just trying to pinpoint the source of the noise because of the possibility that the bottom end might be okay.

whatever you decide to do, hope you keep us updated.
yes I'll get a UOA done on it before I bother to yank it out. When I bought the car, no problems to speak of purred at idle made no noise at all sounded like a normal well running car had NO engine problems. The only problem I noticed was the *slightest* of misses that I could only feel when putting my feet against the floor behind the pedals. I figured a coil was on its way not but had no engine lights, it didn't worry me at the time. Guess it should've, but it is too late now. DEFINITELY no obnoxious ticking noise. That took about ~250 miles to kick in. The engine was rebuilt due to significantly low oil so.. Yes the engine has been low on oil. Since the rebuild, no, I do not believe so, and she had 2 quarts of oil in the trunk and coolant so I feel like she did keep it up but no way to really know.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:38 PM

how much oil does it consume currently? has it ever been low on oil on your watch?
Old 03-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for an AP1 myself. Looked at a car yesterday that had what sounded like the same exact sound.
Curious s to know your outcome . Good luck !
Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
how much oil does it consume currently? has it ever been low on oil on your watch?
it does not consume any oil. I haven't seen any drop on the dipstick and it doesn't leak a drop
Old 04-05-2017, 01:10 PM

In case anyone is still curious on the status of the car, I just dropped the oil pan today and am going to also pull the cylinder head. The second shops' diagnosis that the noise seems to originate from cylinder #4 has been making more sense to me as I listened to it more, and considering the engine was initially rebuilt for piston drag in cylinder #4, I wouldn't be surprised if the noise is coming from there. Plan to start by pulling piston #4 and looking for damage.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Any flakes or things like that in the oil pan? How does the #4 rod bearings look?
Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM

any observations after dropping the oil pan? or you dropped the pan and went to lunch?

Quick Reply: AP1 S2000 Engine ticking - Stumped!!