S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Health of a motor - spark plug photos inside!

Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Health of a motor - spark plug photos inside!

As in the title - I've searched and seen photos upon photos of spark plugs and associated assements, I still feel like I need a set of professional eyes on this.

Any armchair mechanics care to weigh on on what the ashy-white condition of these plugs say?
  • I took a look via endoscope at the plug-well and top of piston as well (in the alubum)
  • the plug well seals at the valve cover are clean, so oil in the plug well is a mystery to me.
  • Compression test shows ~235# across the board +\- 2# or so.
  • As this is presumably a stock motor, I plan to swap to AP2 retainers preventative as well - unless I should just inspect them every 5 or 10k until there's an issue?

Here's the album: Tesh - AP1 Plug Inspection Photos

I wish I could embed the VR photos!
Old 06-30-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Looks good to me, ap1 retainers should be fine if the car hasn't been mechanically overreved. I got over 150k miles on mine.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The ashy white deposits on a plug generally mean its running too lean. But 14 year old plugs should be factored in to the equation as well, meaning many miles have past and normal deposits will eventually cook off and leave a crusty residue. Actual mileage on plugs would be the more important element over years though. Id say if the car has good compression (which it does)and your not burning through several quarts of oil between oil changes (which based on plugs does not appear to be) then you look to be in fine shape and above average for a 14 year old ap1.

Are you running any bolt on breathing mods on this car?
Old 06-30-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Looks good to me, ap1 retainers should be fine if the car hasn't been mechanically overreved. I got over 150k miles on mine.
Good to hear! I bought the AP2 Retainer/Cotters off Majestic already to be on the safe side and plan to do an inspection soon -

forgot to add it's a 60k motor; but with previous uknown owners, I want to be sure.

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
The ashy white deposits on a plug generally mean its running too lean. But 14 year old plugs should be factored in to the equation as well, meaning many miles have past and normal deposits will eventually cook off and leave a crusty residue. Actual mileage on plugs would be the more important element over years though. Id say if the car has good compression and your not burning through several quarts of oil between oil changes, you look to be in fine shape and above average for a 14 year old ap1. Are you running any bolt on breathing mods on this car?
Thanks for the thoughts!

-I'm assuming these plugs weren't ever changed since it's only at 60k and previous history is unknown (and that looks like a 14yr old plug to me)
-oil burn so far has been around 500ml in 2k/miles (rough estimate)
-no mods of any kind to the motor, I did just swap the old for a new PCV as preventative maintenance. Thinking to clean the IACV next.

time for new plugs!
Old 06-30-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Errmagherd bro. Shame on you lol. Change dem plugs. Sea foam through pcv on intake let hose like vacuum syphon it off the top of bottle, don't just stick tube in bottle, but it will loosen clean valves, seats and should find some new glory

U got to read plugs after a pull. Idling and cruising means nothing but a fine lean running economy burn.

WOT jetting should be deep fuel ring on the center porcelain you almost have to cut threads off to examine.