S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

It's alive! Sucessfully added a smaller pulley on my Vortech Supercharger!

Old 04-15-2003, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After three weeks of hard work and a few minor issues my S2000 started up last night and idled with the big injectors!!!!

Here is what has been going on:

The supercharger was taken out for maintenance(new bearing and seals) and the stock Vortech 5" pulley(8 psi) was replaced with a 4.5" pulley(11.5 psi).

VAFC was removed.

ECU harness with GReddy e-manage and O2 simulator from Lake Effect Performance was installed.

Cable from e-manage pressure sensor input to wideband O2 sensor was custom created.

750cc injectors and resistor pack from Ultimate Racing installed.

Vortech FMU was removed.

GReddy e-manage was installed behind drivers seat and pre configured.

Software for Vortech split second timing box was obtained. Laptop connection established and timing was changed.

Cat was removed and replaced with test pipe.

Supercharger was reinstalled with smaller belt.

Koni yellow adjustable shocks installed.

Wideband O2 sensor installed in test pipe.

From sitting and all the pre-tuning with the ignition on, my battery was dead, so I had to jump her just to start her last night. The Vortech air/water intercooler water pump is a nasty drain on the battery. Gotta buy a new battery today.

The sound of the charger + test pipe + mugen exhaust was enough to make it all worth it. Sounds incredible and I haven't even gotten on it yet! ( Big $hit eating grin on face after she started up and stayed running). This was at midnight last night, hope my neighbors don't hate me TOO much

I only drove it back down the driveway a few feet and then into the garage. No check engine lights, good sign! Street tuning of part throttle starts this week. Should get to the dyno to tune if for the big power and find the best vtec engagement point in 2 weeks or so. Expecting/shooting for 350+ hp and 220+ torque at the wheels(on a dynojet).

Wish me luck!

For pictures of some of the hardware go here:

http://www.jlosee.com/images/S2000
Old 04-15-2003, 07:47 AM
S2K

Yes, keep us updated on the tuning and dyno #s. I need more power as well...I'll have to wait until you are done with yours to see what I need
Old 04-15-2003, 10:07 AM

Is that 4.5" pulley custom and are you still running stock internals for that 11psi?
Congrats BTW I am definetly considering going with a Vortech S/C
Old 04-15-2003, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lilbrownboy
[B]Is that 4.5" pulley custom and are you still running stock internals
Old 04-15-2003, 10:57 AM

What did you do to prevent the CEL? What did you do with the two 02 sensors that were attached?

Kevin
Old 04-15-2003, 11:05 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elements
[B]What did you do to prevent the CEL?
Old 04-15-2003, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats! That is alot of work to do for that extra boost! Would love to read more!

Duc
Old 04-15-2003, 05:51 PM

I've got a question about superchargers and their boost pressure. I've owned 3 turbo cars but no supercharged cars. Is it possible to build some type of electronicaly controled BOV that would vent psi at certain RPMs? Like, could you have a pulley made for say 15 to 20psi at max rpm, but vent it off at higher rpms? So you would see higher boost at the midrange rpms, then vent off boost at higher rpms to prevent detonation? I'm just thinking out loud, so if the question is stupid, just ignore it. I don't see why it wouldn't work though. I would think it would be good so you could reach a higher boost level earlier in the rpm range and then level it off and don't let it go higher.
Old 04-16-2003, 09:08 AM

I think depending on conditions your idea is possible but would be difficult to control boost in colder conditions and in warmer conditions... You might have a slight variance of 1 psi or so... It also depends on if the SC is efficient at that boost level.

bryan
Old 04-16-2003, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a stupid question to me. I've asked it before and it is possible but not common. I had the a similar question about a CVT conical drive. You could keep the s/c near optimum boost over a very wide RPM range.

Quick Reply: It's alive! Sucessfully added a smaller pulley on my Vortech Supercharger!