UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Back in an S!

Old 10-07-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Are your O2 sensors ok?

What would cause the electrode to melt away? That would worry me that it was running lean and that would be bad. Look for air leaks, could be a duff injector?

Does it smell ok emissions wise?
Old 10-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

IACV needs cleaning and don't use bloody carb cleaner, WD40 and a soft toothbrush is fine. Check the gaskets - replaceable for pennies. Also ensure the MAP sensor O ring is in place.

All of this is in MB excellent sticky on the subject. Mine can be driven in traffic, in 1st gear with no throttle - it runs perfectly with no stuttering - IACV / dried out MAP sensor O ring were my culprits.

I wonder if your fuel pump is aging .... better fuel pressure for a tired pump with a full tank of fuel?
Old 10-08-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
Are your O2 sensors ok?What would cause the electrode to melt away? That would worry me that it was running lean and that would be bad. Look for air leaks, could be a duff injector?Does it smell ok emissions wise?
O2 sensors were replaced by the previous owner - non oem ones....I put the electrode down to it being the wrong one and simply getting too hot?! hoping the end isn't in the chamber.. Air leaks - yes, it crossed my mind...that's a fun game. Emissions wise - it smells ok...

Originally Posted by unclefester
IACV needs cleaning and don't use bloody carb cleaner, WD40 and a soft toothbrush is fine. Check the gaskets - replaceable for pennies. Also ensure the MAP sensor O ring is in place.All of this is in MB excellent sticky on the subject. Mine can be driven in traffic, in 1st gear with no throttle - it runs perfectly with no stuttering - IACV / dried out MAP sensor O ring were my culprits. I wonder if your fuel pump is aging .... better fuel pressure for a tired pump with a full tank of fuel?
Missed the parts department today - will set the new gaskets and o rings and see if the IACV clean does the trick!
Old 10-15-2016, 08:08 AM

MOT yesterday - failed on all 4 tyres and a failed handbrake mechanism on the nearside rear caliper - that was replaced in Sept last year....

So chosen some Bridgestone RE002 for the standard 16" wheels, new caliper on today - retest next Saturday!

...and forgot to pick up the parts above from the Honda dealer...doh.
Old 10-22-2016, 07:44 AM

New boots, new rear calipers, new rear pads, diff and gearbox fluids changed, brake and clutch fluid changed, MOT'd and ready for another year.

Wallet is a little lighter too! Had the four wheel alignment done to check the bushes and check the bolts. All seized. Only thing adjustable is the toe! Kind of expected for 17 years and 115k miles! Unlike my last s2k, they aren't seized at factory settings

Thoughts on these values?
Old 11-27-2016, 03:50 AM

Currently sat in the porch - laptop on knees watching the Formula 1 while the car idles and does the fan cycles after the ECU reset.
IAC valve cleaned, new gasket oiled and all put back together.
Battery terminals packed out as the +ve was a little loose - I had this issue on my last S - anyone else had the same?
Pollen filter replaced - holy cow, this was caked in crud - nice clean one in now!

Next jobs coming up - finish off heated seats and regrease the shifter. Now to Bedford for the GT circuit on Saturday 10th! Haven't been on track in an S for around 5 years! Looking forward to it!

**Alarm locked the car as the engine was running - H&P need calling tomorrow!
** The cleaning seems to have done the trick - the car seems smoother and is idling better - not bad for a 20 min job!

Last edited by nomadicS2k; 11-27-2016 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Adding content
Old 02-02-2017, 02:03 PM

Superflex bushes bought
Suspension bolts ordered from the states - should be around £100-£140 saving from UK prices, even after shipping and duty and VAT.
Currently looking at Bilstein B14 PSS shocks to replace the 17yr old, 115k miles suspension.
The start of a DIY EGR Delete system, got the resister, blanking place, just need to make up the connectors and get some rubber, reinforced fuel pipe.
Rear spoiler to go on
New Rocker cover to go on
Still haven't done the shifter or heated seats or flybikes lee spoilers!
Old 02-02-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoy chopping out all those hardened steel bolts! Just keep thinking, its gunna handle amazing when the saw snaps another blade
Old 02-03-2017, 12:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Well worth the graft when those geo bushes and done! car will feel amazing afterwards
Old 02-03-2017, 02:01 AM

I seriously can't wait - got the help of a mobile mechnic in March and should get it done in 2 days. I REALLY* wanted to get the subframes done and get it all treated - but it is a step to far with the limited space I have. I will get this done and then head to mx5 doctor to underseal. There is a local landy place near me that does undersealing and they have a very good reputation..

PG

Quick Reply: Back in an S!