UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

First post: On a £2000 budget what first mods would you buy for pre/post face-lift S2

Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovegroova
A decent stereo including sound deadening. Spend at least £500 on that.
Modifry glovebox organiser. Glove Box Organizer
Good tyres: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...t-etc-1085229/
Good alignment
Driver training and/or track days: https://www.motorsport-events.com/pages/1-to-1-tuition

If you want to ignore the above, then a decent set of coilovers would be the next best thing to do (Ohlins, KwV3, Bilstein PSS9, Nitrons). Don't bother with the cheapo stuff.

That'll about do it. £2k won't get you much in the way of decent stuff for this car, I'm afraid.

Awsome had a look at the driver training and it looks amazing, great opportunity to have fun and improve my driving and fairly affordable. Deffinatly a suggestion I hadn't thought of.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:45 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I wouldn't recommend AD08R, they are like driving on ice in the wet...
Old 01-16-2017, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnckeen
I wouldn't recommend AD08R, they are like driving on ice in the wet...
What separates the men from the boys john..
Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Trunkz
And the trees from the ditches?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I'm always amazed at the assumption the S2000 needs modifications at all. And how quickly folks respond with necessary mods.

Buy a late model S2000 (2006 or later) in OEM spec (including decent tires) and drive it. If you find it lacking in any way go from there. Tires are critical as is maintenance. Even the newest S2000 is pushing 10 years old. Repairs are normally needed more as the cars age. Buy the right car.

Honda improved the car every two years with the last generation being 2006. Bringing previous generations up to that spec will provide incremental improvements. Throwing stuff like "coil overs" at the car will not improve it unless you have the knowledge and ability to compute spring rates, etc. Helpful for your local race track where you take the same corner time and time again, but not much else. Most of this stuff is "designed to catch the fisherman, not the fish."

-- Chuck
Old 01-16-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Trunkz
In all seriousness, ad08r only in dry weather... for an everyday car i would go with michelins or something more suited.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I think the answer to that question has to be another question first - is the car going to be JUST a road car, or will it see track use?

In my opinion, this changes the advice I would offer.....
Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Judging by my commute a 50cal is all the mod you'll ever need

at that price you cant be too clever, no view tracking tech, just fixed mount on the bonnet with a trigger using the flappy paddles off a Golf DSG MK VI

ammo, i recommend tracer high explosive
Old 01-16-2017, 06:04 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I'm always amazed at the assumption the S2000 needs modifications at all. And how quickly folks respond with necessary mods.

Buy a late model S2000 (2006 or later) in OEM spec (including decent tires) and drive it. If you find it lacking in any way go from there. Tires are critical as is maintenance. Even the newest S2000 is pushing 10 years old. Repairs are normally needed more as the cars age. Buy the right car.

Honda improved the car every two years with the last generation being 2006. Bringing previous generations up to that spec will provide incremental improvements. Throwing stuff like "coil overs" at the car will not improve it unless you have the knowledge and ability to compute spring rates, etc. Helpful for your local race track where you take the same corner time and time again, but not much else. Most of this stuff is "designed to catch the fisherman, not the fish."

-- Chuck
This is the UK forum, they are called "tyres" here.
The last generation was 2008, not 2006.
Significant changes were made to the chassis (strengthening) and suspension geometry for 2004, which means that using springs, dampers and roll bars from a post facelift car on a pre-facelift car may not improve things.

A decent stereo is necessity no matter what year car you buy, as they are all shit
Old 01-16-2017, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=lovegroova;24135717]A decent stereo including sound deadening. Spend at least £500 on that.
Modifry glovebox organiser. Glove Box Organizer
Good tyres: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...t-etc-1085229/
Good alignment
Driver training and/or track days: https://www.motorsport-events.com/pages/1-to-1-tuition

If you want to ignore the above, then a decent set of coilovers would be the next best thing to do

Originally Posted by Mike RT4
I think the answer to that question has to be another question first - is the car going to be JUST a road car, or will it see track use?

In my opinion, this changes the advice I would offer.....
Just road use to begin with I'm not looking to really track it for a good few years if ever actually planning on getting a much cheaper car for tuning and taking on a track

Quick Reply: First post: On a £2000 budget what first mods would you buy for pre/post face-lift S2