UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

New S2k Owner

Old 12-18-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S2k Owner

Hello everyone,

So I bit the bullet and bought my dream car last week, its come and its pretty spotless, 09 plate S2K, 22k on the clock.

I paid a fair whack for it, and it came from Honda Dealer, so of course I got the extended warranty, mostly for my peace of mind.

I must say that I was not disappointed with it, nothing beats the VTEC and giving it the full tits, sounds fantastic even though its completely stock and has yet never failed to put a smile on my face.

I have trawled the forum over a couple of nights now (whilst working of course) and have found some really useful information, and a lot of words that go way over my head and my level of expertises, however I digress.

The only things that I have noticed appear to be simple fixes e.g. the rattle from the hood clips when the soft top is down.

However I feel like we will need to play the game of NAME THAT RATTLE Which hopefully I can post up in a video at some point. From reading various posts I suggest it sounds very much like it could be TCT - however a set of better trained ears may confirm my thoughts. I initially thought maybe just needed an oil top up but Honda serviced it before it came to me, so I assumed that the oil would have been changed. If I can't get the video up tomorrow, its a low level ticking/tapping very much as described for TCT (card in bike spokes) and does happen when the engine is warm/hot/after running into VTEC for a bit.

Finally if anyone has any fancy hints/tips or other things to look out for (I'm a bit less savvy when it comes to mechanical things) then please do give me a heads up.
I'm looking forward to taking care of this car, as it really does look spotless. If anyone knows any history on it **09 GHX - that may also be useful.

I really do look forward to sharing my S2000 experiences with you, many pics and problem solving to come I feel!

TIA

Rob
Old 12-18-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Regarding the hood clips, make sure you push them back up against the roof after unclipping and click them into place so they don't rattle/snag the hood.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

PS Welcome!
Old 12-18-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Regarding the hood clips, make sure you push them back up against the roof after unclipping and click them into place so they don't rattle/snag the hood.
Leaving them down will also damage the roof fabric. You say it's stock, if you want it to keep it's value leave it that way!

And Hi.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome, from another new(ish) S2000 owner!
Old 12-18-2016, 11:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome and good luck finding that rattle.
The Honda dealer should be able to tell you if it is the TCT.

Check out the Meets section (of course I would say that).
UK & Ireland Meets and Events - S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

Steve (Minvo)
Old 12-19-2016, 12:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Rob,

If it is the TCT (sounds pretty likely) then follow this link:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-york...ead-iv-537578/

Old 12-19-2016, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome!

At 22k I doubt its the TCT.... the TCT becomes very obvious when its failing, once the engines warm, park up and give a little throttle blip to say 3k rpm and the card in the spoke sound becomes VERY noticeable over normal tickover/revving........ if this is happening then it is. Least you've got warranty, get it changed anyway!
Old 12-19-2016, 02:50 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I have trouble sorting out UK jargon. Does "09 plate" mean the car is model year 2009? Just curious. If the car is a 2009 (Drive-by-Wire (DBW)) it can be tuned with FlashPro for a significant increase in mid-range power.

The S2000 engine has16 valves driven by mechanical parts and is a "clicky" engine for want of a better term. A valve clearance check and adjustment is a simple albeit tedious morning job with $20 worth of tools. Do it yourself, the dealer labor charge will be staggering due to the time it takes. Same for the TCT (if it's a problem). There are hours of reading on both in the maintenance section.

Rear wheel drive cars handle dramatically different in many situation. Typical excuse for wrecking these cars is hitting a patch of oil in a round-about or on an expressway on ramp. Or on a icy bridge that froze before the roadway. That's the excuse. We all know the real reasons. Don't drive stupid.

Enjoy the car. Keeping it stock will preserve it's value provided you don't wreck it. My car has modified intake and exhaust but all the OEM parts are safely stowed in my shed for my widow to sell at the best price.

-- Chuck
Old 12-19-2016, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the club

Quick Reply: New S2k Owner