Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusion over AP1 Tires

Old 02-23-2017, 07:43 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

^^^ well I will try them out this year and see how they do. Im not afraid to go my own way and do a bit of trial and error clearly. As mentioned, NT01 in current steam roller sizes may be on the short list depending on how happy I am with the NT05 this year. I really wanted to stick with a "street tire" compound tire though, just wish the current gen made one in my sizes. Ive got the suspension well dialed in for 40mm more rear tire width so id prefer to keep a similar stagger and rubber amount on the road. I battled with the option of keeping 255 and overstretching a 275 in the rear losing 20mm, but ultimately felt if I was going to compromise anything, that was the wrong direction to make it so I upped the width to the next available amount I could coax on this platform - and that was a big IF, but managed to do it! If you ever see a 11.5/315 on a S2k without over fenders its pretty neat, you probably wont though knowing what it takes . Something to be said for how stable that much tire is on the ground along with the added track width. I guarantee you have never driven a more planted feeling "street" S2k without a rear wing, then mine.

If I ever consider selling them, I will give you a shout

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-23-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:01 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
^^^ well I will try them out this year and see how they do. Im not afraid to go my own way and do a bit of trial and error clearly.
You are for sure THE MAN for wide tire fitments on a stock-bodied S2k

As mentioned, NT01 in current steam roller sizes may be on the short list depending on how happy I am with the NT05 this year. I really wanted to stick with a "street tire" compound tire though, just wish the current gen made one in my sizes.
I have found that NT01s make great street tires. I ran them on the street all track season a couple of years ago, including trips to "away" tracks and never had any issues with them. Excellent grip even when stone cold! Then my MPSS street tires just started to suck, bad. No grip whatsoever on the street. So I went to RE71R for street tires. One track day (excellent cornering grip, but drive grip lacking under onslaught of 6.8 liter LS3...) and the rears were to the treadwear indicators. So now I run NT01s as my dedicated street tires. I've done a trip from Atlanta to Detroit to Mosport to Providence on them and two track events (Mosport and Palmer), no regrets whatsoever! But thinking about Hoosiers for the track wheels, which should be worth 1.5 to 2 seconds...

Long/short, NT01s are the best choice for street tires for me. Not going back to Max or even Extreme Perf streets even if I get a set of Hoosiers for the track. Will live with the probably ~6000 mile lifetime, I don't put that on the FD in a year anyway.

You should consider getting the NT01s for your track day, I don't think you'll be disappointed You might be with the NT05s...
Old 02-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by ZDan
You are for sure THE MAN for wide tire fitments on a stock-bodied S2k

I have found that NT01s make great street tires. I ran them on the street all track season a couple of years ago, including trips to "away" tracks and never had any issues with them. Excellent grip even when stone cold! Then my MPSS street tires just started to suck, bad. No grip whatsoever on the street. So I went to RE71R for street tires. One track day (excellent cornering grip, but drive grip lacking under onslaught of 6.8 liter LS3...) and the rears were to the treadwear indicators. So now I run NT01s as my dedicated street tires. I've done a trip from Atlanta to Detroit to Mosport to Providence on them and two track events (Mosport and Palmer), no regrets whatsoever! But thinking about Hoosiers for the track wheels, which should be worth 1.5 to 2 seconds...

Long/short, NT01s are the best choice for street tires for me. Not going back to Max or even Extreme Perf streets even if I get a set of Hoosiers for the track. Will live with the probably ~6000 mile lifetime, I don't put that on the FD in a year anyway.

You should consider getting the NT01s for your track day, I don't think you'll be disappointed You might be with the NT05s...
Thanks for the feedback on the NT01 in your experience. That is encouraging, as I would also be running them on the street if I were to pull the trigger on those.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Community Organizer

...and with that derail over

Ap1 wheels/tires....