S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ballade Sports Heavy Duty Inboard CV Joint Assembly - any experience?

Old 06-13-2014, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BalladeSports
Hello Raimond (bpaspi)

We are very sorry for your inconvenience. Unfortunately the shipping carrier to Germany from USA did not do very well with the package and I can see the TRI-POD became stuck in the CV cup. The CV cups you received are BRAND NEW. The surface you see on the inside is from the forging process. This is common for all Constant Velocity Joints when they are made. If you look at any OEM inner housing even before it is used they have same visual marks inside. I am very sorry you do not approve of the change in color from black oxide to Steel. The black oxide hid the burn marks in our original batch of CV joints. We sometime have to change color for a new batch in case of failures we can identify which batch they came from.

Here is a video example from youtube: Not Actual Manufacturing Company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF_1cGvTbZg

We have sold hundreds of these CV joints for the last 2 years. In fact even the CV joints given to Billman for review was back in DECEMBER 2012. We have never received any complaints from failure after installation thus far.

I'm glad you were able to extract the TRI-POD from the cup, and very sorry for the shipping mishap. Please feel free to PM me if necessary, or we can continue communicating through other avenues online. I'm sure we can come to a compromise for your inconvenience.

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports

Hello,

I have to agree with bpaspi - packaging and visual quality is far from perfect.

The packaging was also poor in my case and the shipping company is not to blame.
If the tripod is not fixed inside the cup and can move around it can get stuck. If you (Ballade Sports) just put some bubble wrap in there and use some duct tape to hold in place, nothing could happen.
The cardboard box is also pretty weak for such a heavy part.

The boot is not the same size as the OEM one.

The chamfers on the holes look like they have been done with a drilling machine and not with CNC milling.

Burn marks from the heating process are OK, but the black oxide layer inside is not. It is not smooth anymore and I don't know how someone could do quality control measurements on these parts if this is still in there.
It can be polished out easily - I don't know why this isn't done before selling the CVs.

JagoBlitz
Old 06-13-2014, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dailyS2Kaddict
Personal opinion.... these things are junk. The tri cv max angle is 15 degrees... So if your low, hardened metal against hardened metal will do the same as soft against soft... destroy each other. I've done alot of research for why a damn set of stage 2.9 axles are $1000 and this is a joke as well... sorry I get irritated over scams. I've developed my own stage 2.9 axles with the 25 degree angle they allow and so has a lot of other people. I'll give you guys a hint and go to the drive shaft shops website and read about how their 2.9s are build and what the inner cv is made of. If you can replace an inner cv you can build a practical 2.0 axle. The extra .9 is a secret you'll have to find on your own!!!

Thanks for reading the rant good luck!!!
Hi Dailys2kaddict,

Thank you for your input and I respect your opinion. You are correct about the angle articulation at 15 degrees but our unit is an OEM replacement made to have the same angle as factory Honda CV joints. Of course we can make a new CV cup matching Driveshaft shop or any other high grade axle, however this is not our goal. We offer a lesser expensive CV joint than Factory Honda to help alleviate the pitting problem Factory CV joints have.

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports
Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any news on that review from Billman?

I have quite a bit of vibrations that has to be adressed. Was kind of hoping that this would be the answer, but those pics kind of got be discouraged.
I swapped them left to right which helped with the vibrations on acc. obv but now there is severe vibration during engine braking.

The other solution would be new axles from DSS but they seem to have mixed reviews aswell.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 1,265 Likes on 772 Posts

I just called him, Evilsport18.

He states that the buckets have right about 20k on them as of now and are trouble free. I gave them to him, as he does lots of parking lot drift shows.

I have not posted a review, because it is simply to early to conclude. Axle buckets pits can show as early as 39k (my current low mile record for pitted buckets)

My only concern was the boot did not fit. I'm sure you could stretch it, but only time will tell if the rubber will stand up to being over stretched.

I used his original boots, So I won't be able to comment on the boots.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update, I see what you're saying.

Im not really concerned about the finish too much, nor the boots tbh. I would probably use oem boots. Main concern is vibrations, vibrations and vibrations lol.
But for 200$ a piece I was kind of expecting a pristine product.

Comparing these for $400 to a new set of 2.9 axles from dss at $1k I must say that the axles are starting to look quite good value since you'd be getter a better inner joint construction.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Raimond (bpaspi)…

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports
Hello,

my Name is Bernd - I'm not Raimond. He was so kind to order a pair of yours CV Joints for me. I'm located in Germany.
As you can see this is not a single incident - I had exact the same delivery conditions as Raimond.
And as you can see on my pictures the finish quality is very poor. Have a look at the chamfers for example.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaspi
Originally Posted by BalladeSports' timestamp='1402685617' post='23202603

Hello Raimond (bpaspi)…

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports
Hello,

my Name is Bernd - I'm not Raimond. He was so kind to order a pair of yours CV Joints for me. I'm located in Germany.
As you can see this is not a single incident - I had exact the same delivery conditions as Raimond.
And as you can see on my pictures the finish quality is very poor. Have a look at the chamfers for example.
Hello Bernd,

Sorry for the mix up with you and Raimond. I'm sorry you are dissatisfied, however I don't understand why I was not given any opportunity to offer a refund for the return of the products. No emails were received, No Pms were sent through S2ki. I would have gladly handled this without the defamation online. I apologize for the Tri-pod getting stuck, in which I would have gladly shipped out another for the inconvenience.

If you feel the quality is not up to your standards, please send back the un-used, un-altered units and we will gladly refund you. I believe we are the only company who even offer this kind of kit aside from Honda, so I believe New Honda CV joints may be more to your liking. Thank you again and I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports
Old 06-18-2014, 08:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaspi' timestamp='1403005190' post='23206351
[quote name='BalladeSports' timestamp='1402685617' post='23202603']

Hello Raimond (bpaspi)…

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports
Hello,

Hello Bernd,

Sorry for the mix up with you and Raimond. I'm sorry you are dissatisfied, however I don't understand why I was not given any opportunity to offer a refund for the return of the products. No emails were received, No Pms were sent through S2ki. I would have gladly handled this without the defamation online. I apologize for the Tri-pod getting stuck, in which I would have gladly shipped out another for the inconvenience.

If you feel the quality is not up to your standards, please send back the un-used, un-altered units and we will gladly refund you. I believe we are the only company who even offer this kind of kit aside from Honda, so I believe New Honda CV joints may be more to your liking. Thank you again and I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

Alex Doan
Ballade Sports
[/quote]

Alex, pictures speak for themselves.... step up your game over there! Cause to tell you the truth as a consumer, was looking into these till I saw this thread and the pics. Also suggest YOU guys do your own testing and take some pics of some used ones to see how they hold up.