New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

What do people recomend for brake pads & rotors?

Old 04-29-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do people recomend for brake pads & rotors?

It's been a long time since I posted here... but by the sound of some brake squealers, it's time for brake replacement.

Is there anything other than OEM that people recommend for pads & rotors? I'm going with stock sizes, nothing crazy. I'd consider slotted rotors from a reputable manufacturer.

I do some spirited driving, but I don't track the car, so super performance isn't necessary.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by CTMechE
It's been a long time since I posted here... but by the sound of some brake squealers, it's time for brake replacement.

Is there anything other than OEM that people recommend for pads & rotors? I'm going with stock sizes, nothing crazy. I'd consider slotted rotors from a reputable manufacturer.

I do some spirited driving, but I don't track the car, so super performance isn't necessary.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Centric blank rotors, OEM pads or equivalent.

You should probably consider replacing your rubber brake lines with steel braided lines for a cost of ~$100. Not for the performance but more for safety, especially if your car is an AP-1. And some ATE Gold brake fluid. Swap your clutch fluid too.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 3,523 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Mike,
How many miles did you get out of them?
Old 04-29-2015, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slotted rotors and oem pads, it's what I'm running I and drive the way you described yourself driving, oem pads are just really quiet and the brake feel is good, I've noticed slightly better braking with the slotted rotors too, it will help with the heat dispersion
Old 04-29-2015, 06:26 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Don't laugh, but I'm running the Autozone Duralast Gold Cmax Brake Pads. I think they cost me less than $40 a set, so say $80 total and they have a life time warranty as long as you save the box. It was Sunday, I had some trip or event planned and my OEM pads were toast - one too many "spirited drives" and they were disintegrating. Ran down to Autozone and couldn't be happier. Quiet and lots less brake dust. No performance loss as far as I can tell. I'm running OEM rotors. Shoptech might be what I might go with if I needed to replace rotors.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Stock and stock. 50+K on mine and there is still plenty of life in the original pads. I have a full set of Hawk pads on the shelf for 6 years now. I don't know if I'll ever need them or use them if I do. The stock stuff is great.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any track or spirited driving?

I'll be running blank rotors ( probably whatever is cheap ) Along with project Mu Club Racer pads on my car, along with new SS brake lines and upgraded fluid.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Mike,
How many miles did you get out of them?
No idea! I bought the car used from my friend Joe, and while I might be able to find a note on the mileage in the paperwork he gave me, I just haven't checked. It has Stoptech rotors on it now, so I know he changed them at some point along the way. I've put at least 30k on the car since I bought it.

The rotors may be salvageable, but if I'm doing everything else, I might as well just eat the cost and get new ones.

My car is the oldest of old - a year 2000, and it still has the rubber brake lines which I presume are original and 15+ years old now, so I'll definitely be looking into steel braided ones.

I actually replaced most of the clutch fluid by default, as my clutch master cylinder failed in 2010. I didn't flush it out, but it's already been 4.5 years so I might as well, particularly if I've got a fresh bottle of fluid open.

Is there a particularly brand to get (or avoid) for stainless braided brake lines?

Thanks for the responses!
Old 04-30-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I went with the Shoptech brake lines on my AP2 a few years ago. If you lay the job out right, you can almost replace the lines with hardly any loss of fluid.

There is a retainer that slides forward (towards tire) that holds the inner part of the brake line (at least on the front). Don't mangle that piece.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock rotors, stock pads, rubber brake lines and ATE blue brake fluid. A lot of spirited driving and a few autocross sessions per year. Zero complaints, stock pads are just nice all around, they don't dust much and are completely silent. Did my first trip to the Tail of the Dragon this year actually and the brakes were more than enough. On my previous car '02 WRX I went through many different brake pads and preferred Hawk HPS but I just don't see a reason for using anything other than OEM on the S2000.

Quick Reply: What do people recomend for brake pads & rotors?