S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Just Retired - Always loved the S2000 - Would You Still Buy One today?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
Had my heart broken yesterday. Found a 2004 white/tan 12K mile two owner car in my neighborhood!! Contact the seller within hours of his craigslist post. Tried to arrange to see the car immediately, but he asked me to wait until Saturday. I told him I'm ready to go and could see it immediately. He said Saturday.

Saturday arrived, I called at 9AM, no answer, left message. At 1PM I got a call telling me he sold the car to someone from out of town. I wasn't very happy, called him back and he told me that he could sell his car to whoever he wanted and that I shouldn't bother him anymore. Yes, he can sell it to whoever he wants, but I still am frustrated. It wasn't a matter of money, I never balked at his 25K asking price, I just couldn't get him to arrange for me to see it.

Sometimes things are meant to be, and sometimes they're not. Maybe my S2000 quest is over. Hard to believe I'll find another in the condition of this car.
Don't lose hope...while another one like that probably won't pop up in your neighborhood, I'm sure you will find a better or comparable one somewhere else. Just be patient. I had an 04 and when I was coming home from a 300 mile trip, I saw one on sale at an exit while getting gas. Owner said some guy from KY was coming down in a few days to see it. I offered 500 more than him and bought it on the spot and drove the newer 08 (with 1600 miles on the odometer) home. I paid less than 23k for it and came back the next day to pick up my old 04. Just be ready to scoop it up next time and be persistent if the owner is not sure or stalling.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is a thought, my car has 74,000 miles on it...i would buy it again with that mileage. most of us would buy the car we drive with the mileage it has.
the $25,000 s2000 is a rip off, you can find, for what you want, a great car in good condition, for less and with more miles. miles does not hurt the car....

what matters is the condition it is in when you buy it, figure putting some cash into it after you have it a while, there is always something going wrong on most cars, meaning there is always something needed done, so what? that's normal....just another way to look at it that will give you more choices and cost you less....
figure $18,000 tops and you will find plenty of cars in great shap, and miles, well 50,000 is a piece of cake for this car.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Had my heart broken yesterday. Found a 2004 white/tan 12K mile two owner car in my neighborhood!! Contact the seller within hours of his craigslist post. Tried to arrange to see the car immediately, but he asked me to wait until Saturday. I told him I'm ready to go and could see it immediately. He said Saturday.

Saturday arrived, I called at 9AM, no answer, left message. At 1PM I got a call telling me he sold the car to someone from out of town. I wasn't very happy, called him back and he told me that he could sell his car to whoever he wanted and that I shouldn't bother him anymore. Yes, he can sell it to whoever he wants, but I still am frustrated. It wasn't a matter of money, I never balked at his 25K asking price, I just couldn't get him to arrange for me to see it.

Sometimes things are meant to be, and sometimes they're not. Maybe my S2000 quest is over. Hard to believe I'll find another in the condition of this car.
Don't lose hope! $25k is a lot of money for a 2004 IMO. Keep searching you will find a one in excellent condition for less, especially an early AP2 like that.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:54 PM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I know I'm venturing into "Car Talk" territory. Yes, I love my s2000 (13 years and counting), and would absolutely buy one today. If I was serious about wanting another convertible/roadster, I'd also take a very hard look at the current 981 Boxster - likely either the GTS or a not-too-distant-future Spyder. The new Miata is also very sharp (did I really just say that?), just wish they'd given it a little more grunt.

One intangible that you may be interested in - my wife and I have made many new friends through our membership in PCA. My region is very active with regular autox, track days, and social events. As a retiring car guy, you might enjoy getting involved in an active owners community like that.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question is - given all of the cars available today, should I still consider the S2000 or has current technology provided "better" choices?
Since you asked about technology, one thing to note: these cars didn't get traction control until 2006. So compared to the '05 you're looking at, current technology does provide an upgraded choice. Whether or not it's worth having or finding one, that's up to you. If it's only a fair-weather car that isn't pushed hard, then I wouldn't worry about it. Stick around long enough though, and you'll see a "spun and totaled my pre-'06 S" post every few weeks.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Buy a GT4.

The S2000 is a great car, truly loved mine for the 100k I drove it but it's so limited inside and the cabin is small. There are many other cars to buy that are more thrilling and more comfortable.

I don't miss my S2000 for a moment.
I'm sure there are cars that are more thrilling in certain aspects, and SURELY more comfortable. But, at the s2000s price point, it's very hard to find something that can give the total package of a lightweight (by modern car standards), naturally aspirated 8-9k redline engine, perfect shifter, quick, direct steering rack, reliable, easy to work on roadster with tons of aftermarket support... and an intimate, driver-focused interior is actually a plus for some people.

I've driven faster(torquier), more refined cars that can technically outperform a stock s2000, but those cars also tend to feel less nimble, and isolated from the road, taking away from actual sense of speed and driving experience... I'm still happier driving top-down, trying to bang out perfect redline shifts on a backroad, even if I'm slower in a drag race. It's not the best daily driver (unless your commute has twisties) but it gets the job done

It's a little weird that people have sold their s2000s years ago, and yet still stay very active on this forum. It's not a knock on them, but shows the amount of passion people have for these cars and the community.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll turn 62 this weekend....it's different now that I see it in print....anyway, after wanting an S since first driving one on '07, I finally got one this February. I really didn't want another car payment, but I also felt I wasn't ready to settle for something I didn't really enjoy driving. My wife agreed that we should have one more fun car (had a Toyota MR2) before either of us is too old or too stiff to be able to get out of one.

It may not be practical, I do miss the 34 mpg and 87 octane, but never crosses my mind when I am actually driving the S. If you want comfort, maybe an SLK? If you find the right S2K though, I don't think you will regret the decision. We love ours.

Rex
Old 07-07-2015, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ohnothimagen
I'll turn 62 this weekend....it's different now that I see it in print....anyway, after wanting an S since first driving one on '07, I finally got one this February. I really didn't want another car payment, but I also felt I wasn't ready to settle for something I didn't really enjoy driving. My wife agreed that we should have one more fun car (had a Toyota MR2) before either of us is too old or too stiff to be able to get out of one.

It may not be practical, I do miss the 34 mpg and 87 octane, but never crosses my mind when I am actually driving the S. If you want comfort, maybe an SLK? If you find the right S2K though, I don't think you will regret the decision. We love ours.

Rex
That is awesome.

For what it's worth, I'm in my mid 20's and sold my S2000 less than 2 weeks ago to purchase an NSX. I went from the S2000's stiff, jarring ride and cramped interior to a much roomier and more comfortable sports car. I told myself that someday when I retire I will purchase another S2000, because it's simply the most fun-to-drive car I've ever experienced.