S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

I'm fat: 2016

Old 01-15-2016, 04:59 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default I'm fat: 2016

Ok folks, I'm fat again. So I started to get back on track this week. I have dropped almost five pounds since Monday, when I weighed in at 187.8 on the home scale. But the start of the program is always the most productive time. I'm using my usual system. Salad for lunch, salad for dinner and then get on the treadmill. Drink lots of water; at least six glasses a day. No alcohol! In addition to the treadmill, one day I do abs, the next I lift. I'm taking it easy with very light weights until I can build back some muscle memory. Even the light weights left me sore the next day.

Benefits:

No stomach problems when I do this. The acid reflux is easily controlled.

Much more alert at work.

My skin looks much better already.

After just five pounds my clothes fit much better.

More comfortable sitting or bending over.

Saving money at work. The pre-made small salad is only $3.99 with tax. Usually I'm shelling out $8 or more for lunch around here.

Oddly enough, my sleeping has not really improved this week. While my stomach isn't keeping me awake, I just seem to sleep less. That may sound good, but I'm going to bed around 11:00 pm and waking up at 4:30 am. I go back to bed and doze off and on until 6:30. I have to figure out what the problem is there.

Many of you did this with me last time and we lost weight together. Care to join in again???
Old 01-15-2016, 05:33 AM

Received 3,805 Likes on 3,030 Posts

I'm fat too but it is not again it has just been consistent.
Old 01-15-2016, 05:35 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I'm right there with you on the fat part but I'm more concerned about the out of shape part.
I've been better at getting on the bike every day for a little while to start my day and slowly increasing the levels.
For the first time in several years, I'm actually healthy enough to give it a run at getting in shape.

one of the guys I work with dropped 150 lbs, basically halving his weight.
his "secret", simply smaller portions and lots of walking.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 2,992 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Yeah, I'm fat and started Weight Watchers again in the beginning of December. I lost 5 lbs and then lost my desire to try hard. Maybe this thread will get me back to it. I paid upfront for 3 months so at least I will keep trying to maintain.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

Must be the start of the new year. Eat less calories and burn more. Very simple. Look at the scale every day and make adjustments with exercise and consume less calories. Save money and do it yourself. I have been doing it for a long time. I weigh 20 -25pounds more then when I was discharged from the Navy in 1966.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:58 AM

I'm down 5.5 pounds as of this morning. Instead of salad, last night I had salmon, broccoli and squash. I couldn't finish the meal. I guess I have already shrunk my stomach a bit. My workout was pretty weal. Only 30 minutes on the treadmill. I'll try to have a more significant workout today.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I'm down 5.5 pounds as of this morning. Instead of salad, last night I had salmon, broccoli and squash. I couldn't finish the meal. I guess I have already shrunk my stomach a bit. My workout was pretty weal. Only 30 minutes on the treadmill. I'll try to have a more significant workout today.
Bill, if you have a heart rate monitor on the treadmill try to get your heart rate up to 60-70% of your max HR. If it doesn't Polar HR monitors are not expensive just make sure it records average HR. I use a system recommended by Chris Carmiichael, former tour rider and Lance Armstrongs coach, but no drugs. You can simply deduct your age from 220 then base the percentages on that number. This is a good zone for burning fat and calories. Go slow and gradually increase your time in that zone then increase the HR zone to 70-80% or do short intervals at a higher rate. Record your results (time in zone, avg. and highest HR) which can be stored and retrieved on a HR monitor. It is less boring and will produce better results for you. I do these on my bike and it really makes a difference. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
Originally Posted by Legal Bill' timestamp='1452945509' post='23853854
Bill, if you have a heart rate monitor on the treadmill try to get your heart rate up to 60-70% of your max HR. If it doesn't Polar HR monitors are not expensive just make sure it records average HR. I use a system recommended by Chris Carmiichael, former tour rider and Lance Armstrongs coach, but no drugs. You can simply deduct your age from 220 then base the percentages on that number. This is a good zone for burning fat and calories. Go slow and gradually increase your time in that zone then increase the HR zone to 70-80% or do short intervals at a higher rate. Record your results (time in zone, avg. and highest HR) which can be stored and retrieved on a HR monitor. It is less boring and will produce better results for you. I do these on my bike and it really makes a difference. Good luck.

I agree. I have an old True Heart Rate Control treadmill that has given me many years and miles of service. Right now, I'm just using the treadmill feature. I'm not quite ready for the HRC monitor. You see, I have a very strong heart and it thinks I should be going much faster than my legs do. I actually need to get into a little bit better shape before it is a useful tool.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Received 3,520 Likes on 2,381 Posts

I was just discussing the economics of calories with my wife.
250,000 years ago when we were hunter gatherers, calories were very expensive.
we had to spend 1000 calories to get a 1005 calories. it was hard work to run down an antelope.
Evading that lion was even harder work. So losing weight wasn't really a big issue.

now we earn enough income in a few hours behind a desk to pay for all of the calories we need for a week all the while only burning off 30 or 40 calories.
although I shouldn't forget the 10 calories burned in the grocery store and the other 5 carrying it all into the house.
The half hour on the treadmill barely covers the sugar in my morning coffee.

Today was my first real workout. Each morning for the last two weeks or so I've been doing a little time, ~15 minutes/ 3 miles, on the stationary bike.
Not pushing but gradually working up to pace and load.
Today I went half hour on the bike for 7.5 miles and then another 3/4 mile on the treadmill. barely a warm-up for most folks
still not very many calories burned but historically I've found if I step up to fast I get back spasms and I'm back at zero.
I'm disappointed that I didn't win the lottery. having the time to workout would have been the first thing "I bought"
Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Originally Posted by S2KRAY' timestamp='1452952910' post='23853893
[quote name='Legal Bill' timestamp='1452945509' post='23853854']

I agree. I have an old True Heart Rate Control treadmill that has given me many years and miles of service. Right now, I'm just using the treadmill feature. I'm not quite ready for the HRC monitor. You see, I have a very strong heart and it thinks I should be going much faster than my legs do. I actually need to get into a little bit better shape before it is a useful tool.
[/quote]Just ease into it for now but if you want to get serious about getting fit and losing fat and weight ramp it up. I would be happy to offer advice on a training program.

Quick Reply: I'm fat: 2016