UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Decat - OEM Exhaust

Old 04-14-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct. 28mm is not enough IMO.

Make sure you do the Decat too if you want something special... Silent as you want it to be as well.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Louisq
Correct. 28mm is not enough IMO.

Make sure you do the Decat too if you want something special... Silent as you want it to be as well.
28mm is good, don't bother with the decat .... there is a point where too big a diameter has a negative affect on the sound, if Ray reads this he will no doubt tell you what that diameter is ... I don't know unfortunately.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:11 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 32mm, which I'm very happy with. At low rpm or tickover, there is little change in note, but as you open the throttle the note is truly lovely, and transforms the sound of the S2000 from really quite disappointing to actually something quite special. Midrange has a breathy hollow quality, not entirely dissimilar to that of a flat 6, rising up to lovely angry bark at the top end.

I'm in Sussex if you're local and want a pre-commitment listen.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say you're looking for louder......the exhaust mod does improve the sound over the OEM system there's no doubt but what I would say (and this is just my experience) is that, with the sound from the K&N you really won't notice a huge difference within the car as that kinda drowns out the exhaust sound. Obviously the sound outside the car does improve but you won't be getting the benefit. Whereas, couple the mod with a decat and it really does make the car sound like it should have ex factory and you definitely benefit from within the car.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kw_21
When you say you're looking for louder......the exhaust mod does improve the sound over the OEM system there's no doubt but what I would say (and this is just my experience) is that, with the sound from the K&N you really won't notice a huge difference within the car as that kinda drowns out the exhaust sound. Obviously the sound outside the car does improve but you won't be getting the benefit. Whereas, couple the mod with a decat and it really does make the car sound like it should have ex factory and you definitely benefit from within the car.
My view is that the K&N is the sound you get from the front of car, the exhaust mod you get from the back so it adds to the breather mod sound in a very nice way, you get a burble from the back. So much so that when I first had it done I was driving home obviously with the top down and I kept looking behind for what I thought was the 500+CC motorbike following me ... what I was hearing was the new sound of my exhaust. You only really hear the intake sound when you are 'on it' especially on it in VTEC and then yes you don't hear the exhaust mod ... but that is because your engine is belting out 9K RPM with lots of extra cold and directed air from the RAM ... the DECAT I had fitted to mine made no audible difference to speak of, it's a complete waste of time ... unless you are trying to save weight and or tuning as Aj mentioned ...
Old 04-16-2016, 12:49 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Subjective Paul that. Decat made a massive difference to mine in terms of sound. A lot more noise on the over run.

Loved the noise my 44mm exhaust mod made with the unresonated decat. Sounded too tame with the cat in.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:43 AM

Ive had the uk exhaust mod done 32mm pipe and its a definite improvement over stock.

Quick question re a decat how does it effect the MOT? or do you just put it back in for the test?
Old 04-16-2016, 03:00 AM

Most people will just put the cat back on for the MOT unless you know a friendly tester!
Old 04-24-2016, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
My view is that the K&N is the sound you get from the front of car, the exhaust mod you get from the back so it adds to the breather mod sound in a very nice way, you get a burble from the back. So much so that when I first had it done I was driving home obviously with the top down and I kept looking behind for what I thought was the 500+CC motorbike following me ... what I was hearing was the new sound of my exhaust. You only really hear the intake sound when you are 'on it' especially on it in VTEC and then yes you don't hear the exhaust mod ... but that is because your engine is belting out 9K RPM with lots of extra cold and directed air from the RAM ... the DECAT I had fitted to mine made no audible difference to speak of, it's a complete waste of time ... unless you are trying to save weight and or tuning as Aj mentioned ...
Completely disagree. An un-resonated decat makes a huge difference to the noise of the car.