S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Water and Oil Temperature & Oil Pressure Readings

Old 03-23-2004, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to find out what temperature and pressure readings you guys are getting from your car. Make sure that you indicate the conditions these temperature are taken and location of the sensors. State Oil Viscosisty as well.

Using Defi BF Link Gauges and Sensors.
Water Temp Sensor tapped at the upper radiator hose near the exit/thermostat outlet.
Oil Temp and Pressure sensors are mounted via Greddy Oil Block Sandwich Adapter between the oil filter.
Factory thermostat and fan switch sensor.
Oil: Mobil Drive Clean, 10W-30

Here are the ABNORMAL readings when everything stabilized.

Cruising 75MPH or 121KMH @ ~ 4000RPM for 15minutes
Ambient Temperature ~ 65F or 18.3C

Water Temp: 190F or 87.8C
Oil Temp: 235F or 112.8C, ?? kinda high, was approx 220F or 104.4C last month but cooler temps out.
Oil Pressure: 85Psi or ~6 kpa @ 235F or 112.8C

IDLE:
Oil Pressure: 21Psi @ idle and oil temp of 235F or 112.8C
Water Temp: 218F or 103.3C to 224F 106.7C @ idle before fan kicks in.

Street Cruising:
Water Temp >180F (depends on how much you idle and go and slow)
Oil Temp: 228F or 108.9C

Ive seen people post reading of 170F or 76.7C and such for the water temp. Why the wide discrepancy? Whats yours?

UPDATE UPDATE!!!

Gauges and Sensors tells all...

I just picked up the car from the shop yesterday, and thats how I noticed the abnormal temp and pressure readings above.

Those reading above was taken yesterday, but I was wondering why the Oil temp was so high compared to the readings last month. Oil pressure levels at idle was kinda low as well since the hot oil temps decreases viscosity. My defi gauges was warning like crazy from low oil pressure @ idle to high oil temps. Water temperatures are above normal during idle, the fan does not kick in till 218 to 224F as opposed to the readings before @212F. After further investigation, water level was 1/2 a quart low on the cooling system thus having air inside. You can actually notice the climate control not heating up as much. So I fill it back up and bleed the air out. Now its back to normal.

Since the above figures are not normal compared to these numbers below you can see if your car is behaving normally or not. Here are the following readings due to the following conditions...

Here are the NORMAL readings when everything stabilized.

Oil Temp: 224F or 106.7C.
Oil Pressure: 88Psi or ~6 kpa @ 224F or 106.7C

At IDLE:
Oil Pressure: 24Psi @ idle and oil temp of 210F or 98.9.1C
Water Temp: 212F or 100C @ idle before fan kicks in.

Street Cruising:
Oil Temp: 216F

Note how the water temp does not change while cruising whether it was low or not in my case. The Oil temp did change which means the block was running a lot hotter than normal. Nothing critical, but catching it early before any major damages can happen to the car. Im glad I have these gauges. They sure gives you the cars vital signs!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johninator

Water Temp:
Old 03-24-2004, 12:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johninator
Need to find out what temperature and pressure readings you guys are getting from your car.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Banned

water: 180F
oil pressure: 75 at 4k rpm's
Old 03-24-2004, 06:54 AM

The temps were converted to Celcius in parallel for metric readers.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:27 AM

Your oil temps seem about right for street driving (and are certainly nothing to worry about!). On the track, they shoot upwards of 280 degrees F. and higher (another reason for switching to synthetic oil). That's one of the reasons I got an oil cooler, but I don't think it's truly necessary for NA applications. The Helm's manual describes the recommended ECT range as being 176-212 degrees F., so you're fine. I don't think you've got anything to worry about. Reported ECTs on the boards may be lower as a lot of people are running the Mugen or Spoon thermostats (particularly those who've taken the time to install gauges).

CB
AEM EMS, Fuel Pressure Regulator, and Wideband O2 Sensor; RC Engineering 550 Injectors; Turbonetics TO4B 60:1 Ball Bearing Turbo; Tial 46mm Wastegate and 50mm Blowoff Valve; GReddy EGT and Boost Warning Gauges; Auto Meter Oil Temperature Sensor; Holly 250 Forced Induction Fuel Pump; CM 6" Remote Canister Oil Filter with Stainless Steel Lines; C&R Custom Radiator with Integrated Oil Cooler; Mugen Radiator Cap, Thermostat, and Fan Switch; Speedcraft Front Mounted Intercooler, Mandrel Bent Tubing, 3" Down Pipe, and 3" Stainless Exhaust; A'PEXi N1 Mufflers; Clutchmaster Stage 3 Clutch; Toda Lightweight Flywheel; Upgraded Oil Bolts; Elda Engineering Rollbar; Recaro SPG Competition Seat; Sparco 3" Six Point Harness; Spoon X-Brace; HeCash Brake Ducting; Comptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines; WorkMeister S2R 18" Wheels; Lucid's Front and Rear Speakers; 2002 Stereo Head Unit; Rick's Front Badge; JDM Clear Side Markers and Shaved Badges; Muz Shift Knob; Uber Cool Nurburgring Decal
Old 03-24-2004, 09:34 PM

UPDATE UPDATE!!!

Gauges and Sensors tells all...

I just picked up the car from the shop yesterday, and thats how I noticed the abnormal temp and pressure readings posted above.

Those reading above was taken yesterday, but I was wondering why the Oil temp was so high compared to the readings last month. Oil pressure levels at idle was kinda low as well since the hot oil temps decreases viscosity. My defi gauges was warning like crazy from low oil pressure @ idle to high oil temps. Water temperatures are above normal during idle, the fan does not kick in till 218 to 224F as opposed to the readings before @212F. After further investigation, water level was 1/2 a quart low on the cooling system thus having air inside. You can actually notice the climate control not heating up as much. So I fill it back up and bleed the air out. Now its back to normal.

Since the above figures are not normal compared to these numbers below you can see if your car is behaving normally or not. Here are the following readings due to the following conditions...

Here are the NORMAL readings when everything stabilized.

Oil Temp: 224F or 106.7C.
Oil Pressure: 88Psi or ~6 kpa @ 224F or 106.7C

At IDLE:
Oil Pressure: 24Psi @ idle and oil temp of 210F or 98.9.1C
Water Temp: 212F or 100C @ idle before fan kicks in.

Street Cruising:
Oil Temp: 216F

Note how the water temp does not change while cruising whether it was low or not in my case. The Oil temp did change which means the block was running a lot hotter than normal. Nothing critical, but catching it early before any major damages can happen to the car. Im glad I have these gauges. They sure gives you the cars vital signs!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 07:02 AM

John,

Sounds like good info, but I'd hardly describe 232 degrees F. as being "a lot hotter than normal" for your oil temperature. Guys who track their cars regularly are seeing oil temperatures well above 265-280 degrees, and with a synthetic oil, there's no danger to your oil or block of the oil temperature exceeding 232. UL recommended to me once that oil should get AT LEAST 220 degrees in order to cook off any water vapor. Just fyi, but I think you're fine -- now that you've gotten the air out of your cooling system...

CB
Old 03-25-2004, 05:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil needs to be at 200 degF or higher to ensure water burn off and the effectiveness of the additives.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my oil temp sits at 180 f.
i use le8130...

Quick Reply: Water and Oil Temperature & Oil Pressure Readings