S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How tight is enough?

Old 04-22-2004, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've no torque wrench and need to tighten some aluminum wheels on my car, Konig Imagine 19" to be exact (just finished painting calipers). I'm using a 1/2" bolt breaker bar (24") w/ a 3/4" socket (3") on the wheel lugs (lots of leverage).

I've been told by some locals S owners that I should do it as hard as possible w/ 2 hands and full body weight b/c these lugs and threads can take the force.

Problem is, I have a history of always stripping bolts and bending Allen keys when over-tightening by hand.

Is it true that these things don't break nor strip and if not, how should I do this by hand?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-22-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You should ALWAYS use a torque wrench to torque down lugs. Over-tightening can cause lugs to strip or studs to break. Also, uneven torque has also been known to warp brake rotors. A torque wrench won't set you back much, so why take the risk?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by fly_S2K
You should ALWAYS use a torque wrench to torque down lugs. Over-tightening can cause lugs to strip or studs to break. Also, uneven torque has also been known to warp brake rotors. A torque wrench won't set you back much, so why take the risk?

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that these things do break. Can't believe the local guys are telling me this is not a problem.

Wouldn't have taken the risk had I known it was a risk. Should've checked w/ you experts b4 painting my calipers.

But tell me something, aren't these things designed to be hand-tightened? Not everyone changing a flat along the road would have access to a torque wrench would they?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:19 PM

Many auto parts stores will rent you a torque wrench. You just leave a deposit. Yes, it's true that most people don't carry a torque wrench with them, but when changing a flat, the sensible driver will attempt to tighten all the lugs evenly as possible by hand and then torque them to about 76ft/lbs as soon as possible.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:20 PM

I learned my lesson on my daily drivers, I used to tighten them by hand and ended up with warped rotors all around. Since then, I've always used a torque wrench.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:27 PM

Thanks again guys.

Got a particular brand you prefer? Digital or traditional settings? I was thinking of picking up a Crafstman from Sears tomorrow. Definitely wanna be sensible.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:33 PM

Craftsman will suffice. Just remember to return the adjusting knob to its lowest scale setting once you're done. Also, select a wrench that you will use mostly in the middle of its torque range for accuracy. I think I have 6 torque wrenches in my arsenal.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:33 PM

I use a cheap clicker type I bought from Harbor Freight for things that don't require EXACT torque specs (lugs, suspension components). For engine/ internal stuff I use the craftsmen gauge type, to see the torque build up consistantly.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:41 PM

Boit- just found a post where Xviper thinks that 90ft/lbs is the right pressure. http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...ning+wheel+lugs

Are you sure it's 76ft/lbs?

He's usually the guru under the hood so I'm a bit
Old 04-22-2004, 06:44 PM

He does not advise to over-torque them to 90ft/lbs, but it works for him as well as many others. 79.6 lbs/ft is what the manual states to torque lugs to. Myself, I torque my lugs to 85 lbs/ft, right in the middle

Quick Reply: How tight is enough?