S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question about U.K.alignment?

Old 08-06-2005, 05:46 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts
Default Question about U.K.alignment?

Without getting too technical,(Racing &Comp. forum for that)I would like to know the Pros and Cons of an U.K.alignment.
Why is it particular to U.K.?
After changing my susp.set-up(KONI&GC)I have to get the car aligned soon,and was wondering if I should go OEM,or U.K.specs.
Search is useless.
Emil.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im told that the UK setup will make the car have less understeer. at the cost of more tire wear. and also if your driving at or near the limits of traction, if and when the rear gets loose, it will spin very quick. I.E. not very forgving to poor driving technique. when it goes..its gone. I like the stock setup because when im canyon carving, it will tell me when to back off with a little understeer. and thats fast enough for me. especially on public roads. IMO
Old 08-06-2005, 08:33 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Hmmm. I understood it to be the opposite - less tendency to oversteer at the limit, though increased tire wear is supposed to be one of the downsides.

The way I understand it, the British car mags were especially vocal about the S2000's tendency to snap-oversteer, so Honda took 3 cars out on the track for a few days of tuning, resulting in the revised UK specs.

I can attest that the car feels more solid on the corners with the UK alignment, which I had done about 2 months ago. On a fairly aggressive drive soon after, I was very pleased with the solid feel of the car. Granted, this could also have been because my previous alignment wasn't quite on spec, but it wasn't far off the US factory settings. This was the only run where I actually heard tire squeal on some turns without feeling the least bit skittish while I was doing it.

Ask me again this time next year about tire wear, though. Haven't put enough miles on them to notice yet.

JonasM
Old 08-06-2005, 08:38 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts
Talking

<------ UK alignment.

With your car lowered the UK specs are easier to attain than the US specs. Your technician will appreciate the UK specs.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:26 AM

I've had the U-K alignment since December and couldn't be happier. The car sticks like glue through the curves. Much less squirrely in the rear end, and to be honest, I haven't seen increased rear tire wear, either.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by JonasM,Aug 6 2005, 10:33 AM
Hmmm. I understood it to be the opposite - less tendency to oversteer at the limit, though increased tire wear is supposed to be one of the downsides.

The way I understand it, the British car mags were especially vocal about the S2000's tendency to snap-oversteer, so Honda took 3 cars out on the track for a few days of tuning, resulting in the revised UK specs.

I can attest that the car feels more solid on the corners with the UK alignment, which I had done about 2 months ago. On a fairly aggressive drive soon after, I was very pleased with the solid feel of the car. Granted, this could also have been because my previous alignment wasn't quite on spec, but it wasn't far off the US factory settings. This was the only run where I actually heard tire squeal on some turns without feeling the least bit skittish while I was doing it.

Ask me again this time next year about tire wear, though. Haven't put enough miles on them to notice yet.

JonasM
but, you will see an increase in tire wear fom the negative camber on the inside edge of the tires if you do alot of hwy driving. If you do alot of canyon carving the tires will wear perfectly. I had the UK alignment done on a new set of BFG KDW and with mixed hwy/city/autox/2 track days I got about 12000 miles out of them so it is really not to bad and the improvement in handling makes it well worth it.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:36 PM

Cool, I got that from some track guys..long while back. and maybe a thread here and there. maybe mine needs a alignment checkup. I was thinking that if theres no understeer to slow you down, then the faster you go, and when, if it does break loose at a higher speed.. then hello tow truck. but if it will handel better and without understeer at the same speed or faster, then im going to get a UK alignment done.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:41 PM

I didn't even realise our alignment was any different!
Old 08-06-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Thank you guys,for all the info.
Always been wondering,why it was called U.K.alignment.!!!
12000 miles on rears is pretty good to me!Were they SO-2?
I,ll try the U.K.alignment.
Anybody got the specs???
Thank's,
Emil.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Aug 7 2005, 03:36 AM
Always been wondering,why it was called U.K.alignment.!!!
United Kingdom

Quick Reply: Question about U.K.alignment?