S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

How to Clean IAC Valve

Old 08-11-2019, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flanders
Yes or start with a google search.
and where does it plug in?
Old 08-11-2019, 03:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Waynedru2000
why would spinning it many times help ?#
Because when the valve operates it swings between an open and closed state. The issue is that is becomes sticky at the extreme open/closed positions. When it is at these extremes the engine then overcompensates to move the valve (because it's stuck), or it doesn't move at all. Hence why the engine idle is erratic.
When you remove the electric motor from the valve you can turn it past the open and closed positions - and you can easily feel the resistance in the bearings that occurs at these positions. Now spin it and you will feel the mechanism start to loosen and after a few revolutions it will feel more like a skateboard wheel bearing. Problem fixed.

The valve doesn't get stuck because it's dirty, it becomes stuck because the beariings only are used say 220 degrees of motion and need a chance to fully rotate.

Last edited by clio; 08-11-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by clio
Because when the valve operates it swings between an open and closed state. The issue is that is becomes sticky at the extreme open/closed positions. When it is at these extremes the engine then overcompensates to move the valve (because it's stuck), or it doesn't move at all. Hence why the engine idle is erratic.
When you remove the electric motor from the valve you can turn it past the open and closed positions - and you can easily feel the resistance in the bearings that occurs at these positions. Now spin it and you will feel the mechanism start to loosen and after a few revolutions it will feel more like a skateboard wheel bearing. Problem fixed.

The valve doesn't get stuck because it's dirty, it becomes stuck because the bearings only are used say 220 degrees of motion and need a chance to fully rotate.
ok thankyou for that info i will do that when i get the silly torx driver you need too undo the damn thing lol.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:22 AM

Smile So it begins Rnd 2 Me vs The diva

Originally Posted by Waynedru2000
ok thankyou for that info i will do that when i get the silly torx driver you need too undo the damn thing lol.
Ok so everything turned up today so with renewed vigor i set too work firstly i undone the motor on the icv and did infact find that the motor shaft and bearing was very dirty and would indeed only move freely half way round, So i set too work with some carb cleaner lithium grease and electrical cleaner for the electrical bit i cleaned it so it span around freely like a skate bearing would, New gasket inserted and new clips for the hoses idle control valve re installed.
Next the map sensor pretty easy too install and i cable tied it up as well. i used a magnetti marelli sensor.
all plugs inserted. Take a deep breath and start her up.
HEY PRESTO.
fired straight away with no rev hunting and sitting lovely at 1.1k ish
waiting till control valve cut off seamless transition with no undue dulling of the revs sat nicely at 1k.
so after letting her warm up and letting the fan come on twice i decided to take her out, WOW is all i can say she is more responsive on the throttle now theirs no shaking or bucking when i changed gears revs stayed constant when i came to a stop and she just drove beautifully.
im assuming the car will learn the engine map through the next couple of drives and im going too silverstone on the 30th so will be a nice long run to stretch her legs.
So i got there in the end my view is the map sensor was on its way out and the idc defo needed cleaning she sure gave me a run for my money though.
want to personally thank you for all your comments guys its been a real help never touching these electrics again although my vtec solenoid gaskets need replacing due to a tiny oil weep im gonna leave that one for now but if any of you have done it before some tips would be great.
Thanks guys back too loving the ride.

Last edited by Waynedru2000; 08-14-2019 at 10:31 AM.