S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Anyone had problems with T1R D/Shaft Spacers?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had problems with T1R D/Shaft Spacers?

I did a search and this post came up:

"so here is the recommendation to anyone who has T1R half shaft spacers - you should either take it off or get newer, strengthen bolts and nuts for it!
the problem with the T1R spacers is the scews and bolts they provided, they were to weak to withstand the vibration, a little bit smaller in diameter compared to stock bolts, and the nuts looks like another material from their provided botls.
its already my 2nd time in a year having the driveshaft spacers flying out on me, this time i even put on the red lock-tie but they still broke off on the 2nd lap of the day..
i certainly hope this kind of situation does not happen to anyone, anymore!
after all, fixing the car outside at over 100F isn't a fun thing to do!!
o well better luck next time!"

From this thread:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=734421

I'm not sure which version of T1R spacers he is running seeing as they have "Street" and "Race", but indeed if he is running the "race" ones then thats a bit worrying. The problem seems to be with the bolts, however the only difference between their two versions is the metal they use.
Race uses Forged CNC Machined alumnium
Street uses CNC Machined alumnium. (doesn't seem like the extra money will actually buy any extra security?)

Before anyone says buy other brands.
I want these ones because they are available now.
They are cheap. I am not made of money.
They are easy to install.
I have a track day on December 2nd, so time is of the essence.

So anyone else had failures?
Anyone recommend other bolts? Or is it just because they are designed as half spacers they don't have structural integrity under centrifugal forces? Crappy bolts that are too small?

James
Old 10-31-2009, 03:10 PM

I've got a set in my car and do not have any issues with them or bolts.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks JS.

Did you use thread lock on your bolts and do you track your car?

I'm of two minds about buying these and then having to fork out extra to buy better bolts/nuts. (of which type I have no idea of)

I know Js Racing sell their spacer bolts, at $US 50...but then I might as well just buy the Js racing spacers from the beginning (but they are harder to install)
Old 10-31-2009, 05:37 PM

From what I was told, first generation had crappy bolts but the current/ new ones do not have any issues. As for track, auto x only. No thread lock used.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the split half shaft spacer as well and I have not had a problem with them yet (however it is on my mind). If you ask me the problem has more to do with the spacers being split than it does with the bolts.

I did not use and thread locker and I have about a season and a half of track days on them.

I'd go for the solid spacers.

-Rob
Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 PM

Yeah thats what I'm scared of. Maybe the 'half' design is placing too much stress on just four bolts hence it walking off.

For an extra $100, a couple hours work and wait time....
Old 11-01-2009, 12:09 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

ive got the race and they are torqued and locktited just incase. also the bolts are hex type...quite strong. havent had any problems.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 AM

In my first post, that person may have had probems because he re-used the same bolts.

I think the bolts are once use only.
I'll loctite it for extra security

What torque did you use?
Old 11-01-2009, 07:01 AM

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

i dont believe they are one time use only bolts. torque i dont remember i found it on here though
Old 01-12-2010, 03:12 PM

i use T1R race drive-shaft spacers, I just recently came back from a track day and when i arrived home I could hear something from underneath the car but didn't look into it, prior to the track day 2 days before I was doing some freeway tuning and felt a lot of vibration coming from the rear but just having done an alignment and balance I thought it may have just been my rim as I got stuck into a ditch not long ago and did some inner rim damage, I took the car out last night and while I was driving I could hear rattling and bits falling off the car, I stopped had a look couldn't see anything, this morning I woke up to go to work I found a driveshaft screw in my driveway behind my car, put it into reverse no go, put it in first no go the car just sat there and revved, so I jacked up the car and found all six bolts from the right rear driveshaft spacer had come off... I had just made it home with 1 bolt which came off as I entered my garage...

So I want to know did my bolts come off due to the vibration or the vibration was caused due the bolts being loose because they're cheap bolts ? the bolt just looks like any other bolt nothing special about it..

So im thinking of going to a hardware store and getting something a little better in quality.

Quick Reply: Anyone had problems with T1R D/Shaft Spacers?