S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

03-07 Accord Calipers swap

Old 09-13-2010, 06:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good review Rob. I’m getting similar results as you did. My front brake temp is consistently hotter than the rear. I was at NJMP Thunderbolt last month and the front was 120 degree hotter than the rear, I’m running DTC60/XP8. but on tracks that are harder on brakes, front temp is usually 50 degree hotter than rear. I’ve gotten about 8 track days with the DTC60 and I think I might have 2 more days left in them. this is my first time using Hawk, so I can’t compare them to the oem caliper setup.

What rear pads are you using.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:58 AM

Are you looking to replace the sk2 brake master cylinder with an accord clutch master cylinder.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The only way I'd do the master cylinder swap is if it was an easy swap. The brakes are pretty easy to modulate with the stock ms and heel-and-toeing is easier than ever.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by robrob,Sep 13 2010, 10:16 PM
The only way I'd do the master cylinder swap is if it was an easy swap. The brakes are pretty easy to modulate with the stock ms and heel-and-toeing is easier than ever.
that was a reply towards hecash's comment about using Accord clutch master, but he made a mistake posting in in the wrong thread so he removed it.

i don't think there's any need to swap out brake master cylinder. like you said, the slight increase in pedal travel makes it easy to modulate the brakes and i'm fine with heel-toe on both setup.

here's a video of the brakes in action at Poncono North course a week ago
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbnhUrhCaPE [/media]
Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I did the math on the Carbotech XP10 S2000 vs Accord caliper wear rate. I got 3 hours and 15 minutes of track time with my last set of XP10 S2000 pads and got 5 hours and 55 minutes with the XP10 Accords. That's about 90% more pad life. The pads also wore more evenly than the stock size pads and there was no sign of pad "smearing" that sometimes happened with the stock XP10 pads.

My old S2000 calipers heat discolored after the first track day, the Accord calipers have not discolored at all after almost 6 hours of track time so it looks like the larger (and 3 lbs heavier) Accord calipers are handling the heat much better.

One downside is the brake pedal travel starts to get very long near the end of the brake pad life when using stock size discs. My last couple of track sessions had me wondering if the brakes were ok. The Accord piston is bigger and extends way out there to engage when the pads are really worn (I wore them pretty much paper thin too).

Other than the "long pedal" I'm very happy with this brake upgrade. It has done everything I hoped for: much longer pad life, less "smearing" or melting of the pads, no sign of overheating calipers and more front brake bias.

I ordered a set of Racing Brake 2 piece rotors with the hats made for the S2000 with Accord calipers and come with thicker NSX rotor rings. They also have the new full slots cut in them, not just a slotted indention. The thicker rings fit the Accord calipers better and the caliper piston won't have to reach out so far. I'll have the NSX rotors on for the NASA Nov Summit Point Main TTs and I'll let you know how they feel.

Here's another video of the Accord/XP10 brakes in action:
(be sure to select HD and full screen)[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2fBHpp25gw [/media]
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 AM

any issues with running 17x9 +45 RPF1?

i read in the first post that brake clearance to the spokes is reduced by about 5mm with the new caliper and new pads
Old 10-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

hondaf1- when you say that this is a good budget brake set up for non staggered cars, how does it benefit this set up as opposed to a staggered set up? will this have a negative impact on staggered cars?

I plan on only using the s2k spec rotors with shims to offset the rotor, will this be fine for daily driving and some light spirited driving?

also hecash, did you ever find out what was the cuplrit as to why only half the pad was making contact with your rotor?

i apologize for reviving this old thread but im very interested in doing this swap and these are the only things holding me back from getting it done. thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by ungucpho,Oct 29 2010, 07:41 AM
any issues with running 17x9 +45 RPF1?

i read in the first post that brake clearance to the spokes is reduced by about 5mm with the new caliper and new pads
my street wheels are FNO1 17x7 +43, and track wheels are Buddy Club 17x9 +63 and both clear the Accord caliper with plenty of room to spare.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jack_in_the_Box,Oct 29 2010, 05:25 PM
hondaf1- when you say that this is a good budget brake set up for non staggered cars, how does it benefit this set up as opposed to a staggered set up? will this have a negative impact on staggered cars?

I plan on only using the s2k spec rotors with shims to offset the rotor, will this be fine for daily driving and some light spirited driving?
if you are only planning on spirited driving and even occasional track day, a good set of performance/track pads is all you need.

the Accord caliper setup is more beneficial for those who use Rcomp or large tires and track their car often. This setup will naturally increase front brake bias (larger piston and pads), so it's ideal for non-staggered setup. but if you want to use it on staggered setup, then used different pad compound to shift brake balance around to your liking.

if you want to use this setup to improve your street pads, then it's fine also. i've used Autozone Ceramic pads on this setup on track and it held up much better than i thought, they did fade when i tried to push the car as hard as i do with race pads. but i think they should be fine on street tires.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks