S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

03-07 Accord Calipers swap

Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Great reading. I enjoyed this over a coffee this morning. RB seems to have great pricing on their products. I'm checking now to see if my rims will clear this package
Old 04-04-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know where we can purchase the 1-1.5mm shims required for this brake conversion? All the vendors/websites provided in this thread are not in stock and haven't been for quite some time.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so what is needed to make this work with RB "NSX" rotors?
just accord calipers and this RB part:
http://www.racingbrake.com/S2000-FRONT-00-09-p/2139.htm

anyting else?
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I hear u need brake pads that are less than 15.5mm in width.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes, those RB hats and rotors work perfectly with the Accord calipers and use the standard thickness pads. No shims are needed. I do recommend new brake lines with the new calipers.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:06 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by jst2878
I hear u need brake pads that are less than 15.5mm in width.
Not with the front brakes but the RB rear bbk needs thinner pads or do like I do and swap in 1 normal pad at a time.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:39 AM

Rob, thanks for chiming in!!!

so if i'm trying to think what traits we would like to get from the BBK - which of those this combination gives?
- better bite
- stronger torque/clamping
- allow later braking
- better prone to fading
- consistency and reliability of braking
- longer rotor life - probably yes
- longer pad life - probably yes
- lighter weight - i guess not

have i forget anything?

so far i've tried few improvements in front brakes and got different hits and misses in above paramaters.
the most important thing i think for me is consistency/reliability every time i press the pedal.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, anyone know a Honda dealer willing to ship overseas as I'm considering doing this ( as this is the only upgrade that fits under my rpf1 17x9 +45 rims)
Old 05-18-2013, 10:12 AM

try Honda CFL
Old 05-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Croc
Rob, thanks for chiming in!!!

so if i'm trying to think what traits we would like to get from the BBK - which of those this combination gives?
- better bite
- stronger torque/clamping
- allow later braking
- better prone to fading
- consistency and reliability of braking
- longer rotor life - probably yes
- longer pad life - probably yes
- lighter weight - i guess not

have i forget anything?

so far i've tried few improvements in front brakes and got different hits and misses in above paramaters.
the most important thing i think for me is consistency/reliability every time i press the pedal.
Bite is usually a product of pad compound, piston area and a larger diameter rotor will give you more leverage so a little more bite too.
The Accord caliper has bigger pistons, bigger pads and therefore more swept area and that helps with torque/clamping but a larger diameter disk would help too.
A bbk won't give you later braking but will prevent brake fade so you can brake late more often with more confidence.
Pretty much all the bbks will prevent fading when running the right compound pad.
All of the bbks will give you longer rotor and pad life.
The Accord calipers are heavier but the rotors and hats are lighter so overall I think they are lighter than stock, but a true bbk will be lighter than the Accord caliper setup. But the extra weight of the caliper allows them to handle heat much better than the stock calipers. I would burn off the stock caliper dust seals and discolor the calipers in one weekend. My 2 1/2 year old Accord calipers have not discolored and the seals are still in pretty good shape. The Accord calipers are also cheaper than stock calipers. Be sure and check if there is a core charge from where you order--I did not have to pay a core (exchange) charge when i ordered my Accord calipers.

The only issue I'm having with my Accord RacingBrake setup is I added a +1inch rear bbk and now I'm getting into rear ABS early--with plenty of front brake before ABS available so I'm considering a bbk with a larger than stock diameter rotor.