S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Radiator Flush

Old 09-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Radiator Flush

hey guys,
I was wondering to see if any one has ever flushed their Radiator with out going to a shop ? I assume its going to be an easy task but I need opinions please..

I assume there will be a bolt under neat the Radiator that I can just open it and wait till every thing is out then, tightened the bolt back and put in new Coolant ha ?

thanks,
Old 09-24-2010, 12:39 AM

you pretty much got it. i havnt changed changed it on my s2k yet, but have done it on my tahoe and my jeep and about 1-2 thousand HMMWVs.
there should be a drain cock under the radiator, i like having the vehicle at a slight downward angle to help the fluid drain. open the drain cock (with the engine cool), open the radiator cap, let it drain, then flush with a garden house through the radiator cap (i fill and drain 1-2 times), there should be instructions on your radiator fluid bottle from here... pretty much just fill with a 50/50 mix and let the engine warm up some and continue to fill as needed, then top off your reservoir tank.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 AM

awesome thank you, now does it matter what kind of coolent to put in to S ? or any wallmart brand should do it ? thanks for the help bro.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 AM

why not OEM?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 AM

oh, then I should go to Honda then ha ?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 AM

i honestly dont know what the difference would be, ive put prestone in my other vehicles and have had zero issues, running/ran great as far as engine temp. with the S i will probably do some research or go with OEM. im sure OEM will cost more (as in like $10, maybe) than walmart stuff, but even if it was $75 more it would be well worth the 5yr-ish change inteval.

or who knows, maybe someone will chime in, prestone might be the greatest thing invtented for the s2000... coolant is an area i havnt done alot of research on, i just know how to change it.

i do know that i went with royal purple and an OEM filter today and spent $92! and i have to do the oil change myself! better be worth it... have never tried much else other than castrol and mobil 1
Old 09-24-2010, 01:12 AM

here you go:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...0&#entry1134196

so i guess OEM is the way to go

edit

or maybe not, thanks for getting me to read i suppose. looks like you just need a silicate free long life coolant that is safe for aluminum blocks.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:59 AM

thanks for the infos man, now its a lot more clear as far as what im gonna go with .
Old 09-25-2010, 11:15 AM

, I just called to order the OEM honda coolant but they said it needs to be mixed with water and im not sure how to do that one. is there a specific kind that you guys get that comes mixed ready to go ? or you all mix it as well ? thanks,
Old 09-25-2010, 11:33 AM

^^^
seriously?

buy some distilled water and mix it...
ratios are on the bottle.

The more water the better the cooling --- but the more likely to freeze if you live (or drive) where it gets below freezing

Quick Reply: Radiator Flush