Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OEM windshield vs aftermarket (Safelite) opinions?

#1 User is offline   Orpheus 

• Group: Guest New

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Hi,

My windshield cracked, and I called my insurance and they said they will cover non-OEM windshield replacement. They referred me to Safelite, but I can choose others if you guys think there's better in Southern California.

My question is, is OEM significantly better than typical aftermarket replacements? If so, in what way? UV, weight, etc? I just called Safelite, and the rep there promised me there is 0 difference between their glass and OEM (other than the Honda stamp on the outside) as they supply the OEM glass to Honda anyway. Is the rep correct in the case of the S2000?

I have an appointment for Thurs (tomorrow), so if I need to go elsewhere I need to change the appointment soon.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Orpheus: 04 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

'86 AE86 GTS (mods)
'02 S2000 (mods)
'10 Evo MR (mods)

The Cars

Music Pics

#2 User is offline   Drkphnx 

• View gallery
  • Group: Community Organizer
  • Interests:( . Y . )

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

My buddy just got a safelite one installed yesterday. word of advice, take pics of your dash and anything around the glass. they scratched his dash a bit on install and he's pretty upset, they also didn't install it correctly and left it looking like ass. They are going to re-install it on tuesday, the day before we all leave for the dragon. They also said they will look at the dash to see if it was something they did, which I'm willing to bet they are going to deny.

Other than that, I think the windshield will be fine.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   Orpheus 

• Topic Starter

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

View Postdrkphnx, on 04 April 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

My buddy just got a safelite one installed yesterday. word of advice, take pics of your dash and anything around the glass. they scratched his dash a bit on install and he's pretty upset, they also didn't install it correctly and left it looking like ass. They are going to re-install it on tuesday, the day before we all leave for the dragon. They also said they will look at the dash to see if it was something they did, which I'm willing to bet they are going to deny.

cool, thanks man for the advice. i think i will take pictures as you suggest. good idea.

anyone else know if there is any technical difference in any way between safelite and oem? weight, hardness, uv, etc.?

#4 User is offline   JBAutosports 

• Group: Former Sponsor

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

I will post what I have read and shared - Most aftermarket ones are cheaper. I have also read they are wavy and seem to chip and get sand blasted easily. Just what I have read
E-Mail: yo@jbautosports.com
Phone:
515-984-0068
SPECIAL PRICING VIA PM (This is your best bet for killer deals!)
www.jbautosports.com
Posted Image
AUTHORIZED DEALER FOR OVER 300 PRODUCT LINES
Like us on Facebook for Facebook only specials!

#5 User is offline   TVPincDoc 

• Group: Guest
  • Interests:Martial Arts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

View Postdrkphnx, on 04 April 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

I had a small company replace the glass in my wife's 325i. I couldn't be happier. The guy did an amazing job, damaging nothing and installing in record time. I've seen dozens of reports of BMW dealerships absolutely botching the job. It isn't as important which place you use, it is whether the particular company is good.

Ask around for advice for who to use. I got the name of the shop from the indy repair shop-they've used them all the time. That is often the best place for advice on glass repair.

By the way, the glass place stated that non-OEM glass was typically made by the same/similar manufacturers. There isn't a big difference, so long as the company knows enough to color match the glass (some cars have slight green tints, etc.). BMW wanted $800+ for OEM glass and "four guys for four hours" to install (about another $800). The indy shop I used charged $240 including install and tax.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Niteshade 

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

I can't see how the Honda glass could be superior. I have owned many cars (this is my 8th Honda) and never have I had such a pitted windshield after 50,000 miles. I should be so lucky as to get a stone break my glass and have it replaced with something else.
Niteshade

2005 Silverstone
Past Garage Queens: Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor, Mazda Miata, 66 Mustang

#7 User is offline   dwight 

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

View PostNiteshade, on 04 April 2012 - 08:25 PM, said:

I can't see how the Honda glass could be superior. I have owned many cars (this is my 8th Honda) and never have I had such a pitted windshield after 50,000 miles. I should be so lucky as to get a stone break my glass and have it replaced with something else.

I haven't had as many cars (or Hondas), but I agree. My S2000 windshield is by far the most pitted.

#8 User is offline   JackS 

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

I doubt that Honda makes their own glass anyway. I'm sure they just supply a few specs and award a contract to the lowest bidder.

#9 User is offline   rob-2 

• Interests:Life

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

View Postdwight, on 04 April 2012 - 08:38 PM, said:

I haven't had as many cars (or Hondas), but I agree. My S2000 windshield is by far the most pitted.

It's the angle and height of the S2000's glass. Other roadster drivers suffer the same problem.

#10 User is offline   Orpheus 

• Topic Starter

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

some cars have special glass. my old z06 used ultra light glass, which was actually lighter than the standard corvette's. things like that. was just wondering if that's the case with the s2000.

and yeah, my s2000's glass, like others who posted here, was far more pitted than any cars i have ever driven in my life. it's actually kinda good i have to replace it now--the pitting was actually starting to detract from the driving experience.

#11 User is offline   Hawkeye_AP1 

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I have an aftermarket windshield in my EP3. It looks exactly like the stock windshield, even has the black shading just above rearview mirror like the OEM one did. Installer didn't do any damage to anything. Don't know about overall strength, but I have had it for 5 or 6 years, and I know things have hit it while driving down the road and I don't have any cracks or chips.

The reason I have an aftermarked windshield in the EP3 is that some contruction crew was working on the underside of a bridge. As I drove under it, something fell on it and it made a terribly loud noise. Didn't immediately crack. Got to my destination, got out and looked at it pretty good, nothing. Hang out for a couple of hours and when I get back out to my car to leave it has cracked all the way across. Must have been hit somewhere that I didn't see and maybe the temperature changes finished the job. Drove back to the bridge and of course the construction crew as gone.

#12 User is offline   deepbluejh 

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:15 PM

I have a safelite windshield in my Celica. Fit and finish is perfect and I haven't notice any issues durability. I do notice that if you look at it at a sharp angle, you can see some waves, but you can't notice it unless you are looking very closely.
Posted Image

2015 Cayman GTS
2006 Acura TL
2007 Laguna Blue AP2
- Sold

#13 User is offline   dhfreak 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:39 AM

I had a rock hit the windshield of my 2011 LR, and cause a 2' crack! The insurance company at first said they wouldn't cover OEM glass, but after talking to the right person, they said they would. The windshield is of the heated/rain sensor variety, and turned out OEM was cheaper than aftermarket! Anyways, safe flite did the install; they did a great job, but I watched the guy like a hawk!

You may want to talk to comeone else at your insurance company (supervisor), and see if they can't work something out.

Mike

This post has been edited by dhfreak: 06 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

#14 User is offline   Orpheus 

• Topic Starter

Posted 08 April 2012 - 11:30 PM

thanks for the replies.

so i did get my windshield done at safelite (in pasadena, ca). didn't notice any damage. only tiny nit is that the around the area where the mirror bracket attaches to the glass there was some adhesive smeared around. was told the factory installs that part, but they cleaned it up for me anyway. also noticed that a black sticker is used between the bracket and the glass, and on mine there was a 1cm tiny thin scratch that can be seen as white color against the black of the sticker from the outside of the car. but it didn't bother me so i didn't say anything about it. otherwise everything looked just like stock.

sitting as the driver i did see distortion of lines at the very far last couple inches on the passenger side of the glass. i don't remember how oem looked, but i have a feeling it was the same, as most cars look like that at extreme angles. otherwise, i do not see the "waviness" that others report.

they took about 1hr to do it from the time they started (they made me wait for about 20min from my appointment time before doing anything.) but it seems they did a good job. would recommend.

Ads by Google   S2KI

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users