S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very Clean Intake Valves after 60k Miles

Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts
Default Very Clean Intake Valves after 60k Miles

I pulled the head while in the process of replacing the block and found the intake valves to be totally spotless after 60k miles, not one speck of deposits. The intake manifold had some deposits from the pcv system but the ports and valves were spotless. I mostly run Shell V-power fuel and one dose of Redline Fuel System cleaner each driving season. Seems to be working as advertised.

All eight intake valves looked like this, shiny new appearance, not a single deposit, is this common on s2k's , other Honda's I've had showed some intake deposits , never this clean:

Old 05-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps it's that clean"er" air up there in Canada?

I have a question. What intake has been on the car during the 60k miles? Stock intake box? Stock filter? How often was it cleaned or recharged? Could be some good info for everyone if you had it available.

--Matt
Old 05-12-2012, 07:42 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by mattstryfe
Perhaps it's that clean"er" air up there in Canada?

I have a question. What intake has been on the car during the 60k miles? Stock intake box? Stock filter? How often was it cleaned or recharged? Could be some good info for everyone if you had it available.

--Matt
he, he, he, I'm sandwiched between Detroit, Toronto, and Buffalo, I think we have the worst air in the country, lol.

Good point on the intake, this car has only run on the stock intake with stock air filter. I am not the original owner of the vehicle but as far as I know it always had the stock intake. Personally I'm not a fan of aftermarket filters I think they allow more dirt and dust to enter the engine for the sake of added air flow, the oem intake and filter works well for my purpose. I do run an J's snorkel on the oem box, but that hasn't been on long and I don't see any down side to it.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shell V-power mmmm its good. only pump gas i use. E85 is the king tho
Old 05-13-2012, 02:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those look great! I try to use Shell V-Power mostly as well. I also use some fuel additives.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leviisbigred
Shell V-power mmmm its good. only pump gas i use. E85 is the king tho

i also use the shell v-power. i'm new to the S2 and i'm curious about your stance on E85. do you run full tanks of it, or add it to a premium mixture as a fuel additive of sorts? my mechanic recommended this to me when i though that i had clogged injectors. i have two nearby stations that offer the E85, that's why i'm curious.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Those look excellent. If you want the exhaust valves, piston's and the combustion chambers to look just as clean, try a little water in the intake. I use my kids squirt gun(battery powered) to squirt water in the intake with the engine running, just like water injection.(LOL) It works very good to clean the deposits that form over time.

ROD
Old 05-13-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That is just fantastically clean!
I use Chevron, BP or Shell - but I would give over 70% of the credit (+ or - a good swag) to the Redline SI-1. I've used the product for nearly 9 years compulsively, and when I pull my spark plugs for a leak-down test or to just check the plugs, everything is very clean in the combustion chamber. I titrate every tank, which is how the product was originally marketed. Everyone knows I like a number of Amsoil products - but their Performance Improver (PI) has never performed as well as SI-1. Road Rage turned me back on to the product (I tried it but had been using Amsoil PI) and while I'll try the PI from time to time, I always go back to the SI-1.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rrounds
Those look excellent. If you want the exhaust valves, piston's and the combustion chambers to look just as clean, try a little water in the intake. I use my kids squirt gun(battery powered) to squirt water in the intake with the engine running, just like water injection.(LOL) It works very good to clean the deposits that form over time.

ROD
I would not recommend this at all.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:28 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

cool but is there a picture of non shell treated valves for comparo?

Quick Reply: Very Clean Intake Valves after 60k Miles