S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Check Engine Light, Code P1456, Smell Gas

Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light, Code P1456, Smell Gas

Hi guys - So I have a 2002 with 93k miles (it's my daily driver). For some time I've had the CEL go on occasionally. Ran the code and it is always P1456.

At first I figured it was a loose gas cap, so I was extra careful to tighten it. But then it would still go off, so I replaced the gas cap. Sadly, this didn't resolve the problem either. I can sometimes smell gas, and it seems like it is coming from near the gas cap. Usually I just clear the code. The engine always runs perfect. I went pretty much the whole winter in Washington DC without the code tripping again, but now in the warmer weather it is constant.

I know the 2002 has been known to have fuel filler neck issues. Does it sound like this is my problem?

If so, how difficult is it to replace? I have the most basic tools (ratchet set, screwdrivers, etc) but not more than that and am not particularly talented mechanically. I can usually do the basics, but dont' want to risk messing with the fuel system if it could be dangerous if I don't reconnect things properly.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:00 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Can you ID the source of the smell with your nose?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 3,406 Likes on 2,465 Posts

I had the fuel filler neck issue on my 02, but does your fuel cap feel like it jams up before fully tightening ?, if your cap begins ratcheting before fully tight and you can tighten it further by turning the cap from the side of it rather than the top you likely have a fuel filler neck issue. If your cap fully tightens without issue then you don't have a fuel filler neck problem. My fuel filler neck issue never threw a code though I just got tired of having to tighten it down every time at fill up and I wanted to avoid future issues from cropping up, so I replaced it.

The code is for a fuel tank leak , it could be a fuel cap/fuel filler neck, it could be a hole in the tank but that seems rare, or it could a loose hose that runs off the fuel filler neck in the trunk area. Do you ever smell fumes in the trunk ?
Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM

So I went out and investigated a bit further. The smell definitely originates from the gas cap area.

Yeah the fuel cap starts clicking but then I can turn it further if I press down on the cap with a bit of pressure as I turn it.

No fumes at all in the trunk, however.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by dagger
So I went out and investigated a bit further. The smell definitely originates from the gas cap area.

Yeah the fuel cap starts clicking but then I can turn it further if I press down on the cap with a bit of pressure as I turn it.

No fumes at all in the trunk, however.
Sounds like you have a defective fuel filler pipe, they aren't too hard to change if you can find a good used one (like I did). There is no guarantee it will solve your problem but it is the first place to start after you replaced the gas cap.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 PM

That makes sense. Thanks - I really appreciate the info.

So if I am looking for a used filler pipe, would I would want a 2004+ version to make sure it doesn't have the same problem?
Old 07-08-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by dagger
That makes sense. Thanks - I really appreciate the info.

So if I am looking for a used filler pipe, would I would want a 2004+ version to make sure it doesn't have the same problem?
yes an ap2 would be safe, theoretically a 2003+ would be good as the defect was apparently on 2000-2002 models only.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM

I have an 2002 AP1 and have the exact same issue. I have replaced my gas cap and problem continues. I have the CEL on the whole time now.
What exactly is wrong with the fuel filler neck? Will this problem cause any further damage to anything else?
Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by icecreamballer
I have an 2002 AP1 and have the exact same issue. I have replaced my gas cap and problem continues. I have the CEL on the whole time now.
What exactly is wrong with the fuel filler neck? Will this problem cause any further damage to anything else?
Thanks!
Some fuel filler necks warp and get bent out of proper shape, that causes the fuel caps to not seal properly. Once you replace the fuel filler neck pipe the cap is able to ratchet down smoothly and close properly. I can't say this is your exact problem but that is what the fuel filler neck pipe issue is all about.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by icecreamballer' timestamp='1341801559' post='21843805
Thanks!
Some fuel filler necks warp and get bent out of proper shape, that causes the fuel caps to not seal properly. Once you replace the fuel filler neck pipe the cap is able to ratchet down smoothly and close properly. I can't say this is your exact problem but that is what the fuel filler neck pipe issue is all about.
Can the filler neck be reshaped/reworked? or only way to fix is to replace it?
and what is a long term affect of this problem? can this cause any other issues with the engine?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light, Code P1456, Smell Gas