Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Square when Factory Stagger?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Square when Factory Stagger?

Hi everyone,

I'm in the midst of purchasing wheels and tires. I can't seem to understand why most track guys are running square instead of staggered. I have read the build article on MotoIQ and it didn't really explain advantages over stagger. Hope someone can shed light on this.

I really like the way stock drives, I just feel that it needs more grip and don't want to sacrifice turn in characteristics, and responsiveness.

I have an 2004 AP2 stock, I'm planning on going with 17"x8, and 17"x9 at the rear. So my question is, which tire size combo should I run with these wheels? I've asked around and it seems most prefer 225/255 over the stock 215/245 sizes. Can anyone explain to me what exactly is being compromise running these set ups? and more importantly why square instead of staggered?

Also, I will track the car, and don't care about looks at all. So this is purely a performance mod.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:09 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

you should be good with your setup your looking at. a little wider on the tire and wheel and you should still get your steering response.

just try and get your wheels lighter than factory so you get rid of some unsprung weight
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

You have to understand the friction circle: http://www.auto-ware.com/setup/fc1.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCqPU90Xfuo
Old 08-07-2012, 03:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

i also see a lot of guys running a square setup at the track and don't totally get why. the S2000 has plenty of oversteer even with a staggered setup. by going square you are adding more grip in the front than you are adding to the rear which would create even more oversteer. if you run a wing in the rear it could add enough downforce to compensate for the square setup and help keep the rear planted. but i also see most guys with a wing also run a front splitter which it encouraging oversteer again! i personally have run 215/235 and 225/255. just mounted up a 225/245 setup on 17x8, 17x9 but haven't tracked it yet. haven't run square but the staggered setups have treated me well and felt balanced for the most part. will also be running a rear wing for the next track day so i'll see how it all pans out...
Old 08-07-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Motopythons
Hi everyone,

I'm in the midst of purchasing wheels and tires. I can't seem to understand why most track guys are running square instead of staggered. I have read the build article on MotoIQ and it didn't really explain advantages over stagger. Hope someone can shed light on this.

I really like the way stock drives, I just feel that it needs more grip and don't want to sacrifice turn in characteristics, and responsiveness.

I have an 2004 AP2 stock, I'm planning on going with 17"x8, and 17"x9 at the rear. So my question is, which tire size combo should I run with these wheels? I've asked around and it seems most prefer 225/255 over the stock 215/245 sizes. Can anyone explain to me what exactly is being compromise running these set ups? and more importantly why square instead of staggered?

Also, I will track the car, and don't care about looks at all. So this is purely a performance mod.
Some of my general thoughts on this. Hope it helps a little. http://racings2000.blogspot.sg/2011/...ughts.html?m=1
Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 2000ths
i also see a lot of guys running a square setup at the track and don't totally get why. the S2000 has plenty of oversteer even with a staggered setup. by going square you are adding more grip in the front than you are adding to the rear which would create even more oversteer. if you run a wing in the rear it could add enough downforce to compensate for the square setup and help keep the rear planted. but i also see most guys with a wing also run a front splitter which it encouraging oversteer again! i personally have run 215/235 and 225/255. just mounted up a 225/245 setup on 17x8, 17x9 but haven't tracked it yet. haven't run square but the staggered setups have treated me well and felt balanced for the most part. will also be running a rear wing for the next track day so i'll see how it all pans out...
The adjustable wings allow u to tune for higher rear downforce to match the fronts non stagg + splitter.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Site Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 302 Posts

The set up you posted should be fine assuming the wheels are lighter than stock or the same weight and the tires are stickier or the same as stock. I have wondered about the square vs staggered set up myself so some good info in this thread
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by c32b
Originally Posted by 2000ths' timestamp='1344382770' post='21920310
The adjustable wings allow u to tune for higher rear downforce to match the fronts non stagg + splitter.
Doesn't allow you to compensate for low speed, 2nd gear corners though
Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by c32b' timestamp='1344383446' post='21920342
[quote name='2000ths' timestamp='1344382770' post='21920310']
Doesn't allow you to compensate for low speed, 2nd gear corners though
[/quote]

True. Low speed 2nd gear corners will probably require more rotation and the better turn in afforded by the bigger tyres up front may help while speeds are lower so that the wing & splitter have minimal effect.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the guys that runs square setups have a big front sway bar. It compensates for the oversteer.

You will be fine with the setup you're thinking on. Just be sure to have proper offset 50-60 plus so you won't have rubbing issues

Quick Reply: Why Square when Factory Stagger?