Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Any home theater buffs out there?

Old 04-06-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any home theater buffs out there?

I'm planning out my home theater now and I've narrowed down the reciever list but can't decide. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. My listening will be split 50/50 between music and movies\sports. The speakers will be the Klipsch Cinema 10 setup.

The receivers I've narrowed it down to are:

Onkyo TX-NR801
Onkyo TX-SR702
Harman Kardon AVR-435
Pioneer VSX-1015TX

Any input would be appreciated. Unfortunately, everyone local has their listening rooms torn apart for the new models coming in so I can't audition anything. I'm actually considering buying them all to audition in my home when the time comes. The TV is coming first though.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:36 AM

I don't know anything about the receivers to advise you. I have an older model Harmon Kardon (AVR 220) that suits me fine.

I was just wondering what TV you are purchasing. I just did a bunch of research, for projection HD televisions. It was between Sony and Toshiba, and bought the Toshiba DLP HD, model 52HM94. I switched my Direct TV to HD, and life is good!

Good luck in choosing your system.

Jamie
Old 04-06-2005, 08:58 AM

I was all set on the top of the line Mitsubishi DLP until I was advised to check it out in a well lit room. Once the glare fest was over, I decided on a Sony KDF-60XBR950. It's pretty ironic because every tv I've purchased previously I went in wanting a Sony and bought something else. This time I go in wanting something else and ended up deciding on a Sony.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not going to be able to help you out here at all. I have always wanted a really nice home theater set up, but the money either hasn't been there or I have wanted/needed something more...I really would like to check it out when you get everything set up though. Is the tv a plasma?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:27 AM

No it's not a plasma. It's a rear projection LCD. I prefer rear projection LCD and DLP to plasma. I honestly don't think large plasmas are worth their price. Now that Texas Instruments has release a new chip, you should start seeing large pure LCD TVs in the same price range as the large plasmas. Plasma prices will have to come down or it will be the death of the plasma.

Once I get it all set up you're welcomed to check it out. I will probably have a get together at my house in May to wash cars, talk shop, do mods, or just hang out. I don't know if the surround will be setup by then, but the TV will definitely be there.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:56 PM

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,044 Posts

My money is on Oinkeo. I'm not familiar with the models in question, so my 2
Old 05-05-2005, 10:57 AM

So...what did you end up with Foxman??

I have the new Sony Grand Wega 60" with a Marantz reciever and Mirage SS speakers.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:09 PM

I just have the TV for now. I'm waiting on the furniture to arrive before I start piecing together the surround. I've found some new Klipsch floorstand speakers that I love. Of course, they're more expensive than I originally budgeted. It looks like it might be a little while now. I've settled on the Onkyo 702 receiver though. There's just no need to buy it until I have the speakers.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:30 PM

I've got a HK receiver, forget the exact model number, but it was around $550. Probably an AVR-5XX. I like it a lot, and don't have any complaints. I've got a similar TV as the one you selected, and except for the black levels, I am pleased with my purchase. You can see my setup here: Living Room Theater
Old 10-11-2005, 08:53 AM

Thanks for the info Colin. I also have an HK 535 on my short list. It looks like the receiver will be the last item I purchase, so I still have a few months to sort it all out.

Quick Reply: Any home theater buffs out there?