Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

Chaisng down a CEL and high idle

Old 10-04-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Chaisng down a CEL and high idle

So, I can't really even start to swap out my parts until I have chased down the crazy CEL and idle issue. I have ordered an OBD2 scanner so I can isolate the fault number. The car nearly stalls with the A/C on however idles pretty high at around 1200-1500RPM. Also, the idle seems a bit rough. I did the Izze Secondary Air Pump delete as a safety measure. I have replaced the MAP, and cleaned the IAC. Reset the ECU. Still no Bueno. I have a new IAC coming in and have my fingers crossed. Super frustrating.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Any parts store should be able to read that code. Any luck?
Old 10-09-2017, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by RacerXI
Any parts store should be able to read that code. Any luck?
I swapped the MAP and IAC. I bought a code reader in case. I have a feeling it didn't work, and the car seems to act the same. I am going to wait for the code to come back and read it. Hopefully, I have an update soon enough.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:57 AM

So, it is a P0127 code (rich bank 1). So far I have cleaned and replaced the MAP and IACV. I have the TB pulled and am swapping over to a new Ballade unit. I have an O2 sensor on the way, along with valve adjustment tools. I am really at a lost at what else it could be. The plugs are newer Laser from NGK. Anybody have advice?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts

My trouble shooting skills are mostly from pre-fuel injector & non-computer vehicle days. So my knowledge is pretty limited. In reading here it sounds like the oxygen sensor could be at fault. But - It also mentions vacuum leak, which in my dusty memory is also responsible for high-idle which you mention.

What causes the P0172 code?

• A dirty mass air flow sensor overstating the amount of air entering the engine which may cause excessive fuel delivery
  • A bad oxygen sensor
  • A leaking fuel injector allowing too much fuel to enter the combustion chamber
  • A faulty fuel regulator, which may not be regulating the pressure of the going to the engine as it should
  • A vacuum leak
  • A possible fault in the coolant system such as a stuck thermostat or bad coolant temperature sensor
  • Worn spark plugs
Sorry for your issues, hope this helps!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by jeallen
My trouble shooting skills are mostly from pre-fuel injector & non-computer vehicle days. So my knowledge is pretty limited. In reading here it sounds like the oxygen sensor could be at fault. But - It also mentions vacuum leak, which in my dusty memory is also responsible for high-idle which you mention.What causes the P0172 code?
  • A dirty mass air flow sensor overstating the amount of air entering the engine which may cause excessive fuel delivery
  • A bad oxygen sensor
  • A leaking fuel injector allowing too much fuel to enter the combustion chamber
  • A faulty fuel regulator, which may not be regulating the pressure of the going to the engine as it should
  • A vacuum leak
  • A possible fault in the coolant system such as a stuck thermostat or bad coolant temperature sensor
  • Worn spark plugs
Sorry for your issues, hope this helps!
Yeah. I went ahead and ordered an O2 sensor since I am already swapping out the header. I should probably check for a vacuum leak whilst I am at it. I am actually wondering if there are multiple issued that I am chasing down, since I don't think the high idle/stutter/bog should have anything to do with the P0172 fault. Who knows. I will keep y'all posted as I work this monster.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

My first thought was vacuum leak too. I had an issue and there was absolutely NO FREAKIN WAY it could have been a vacuum leak. ... turned out, it was a vacuum leak. Was chasing IACV, MAP, etc route. Come to find out, the IACV was probably legitimately dirty, but I apparently created a leak the first time I took it off and just didn't consider that a possibility after that. Until one day, while working on it, I noticed the ever-so-slight hiss of a vacuum leak. Was happy to find a free fix. If you havent yet, search for one before you spend anymore money. Might save you some duckets.

Last edited by vortamock; 10-13-2017 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-16-2017, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by vortamock
My first thought was vacuum leak too. I had an issue and there was absolutely NO FREAKIN WAY it could have been a vacuum leak. ... turned out, it was a vacuum leak. Was chasing IACV, MAP, etc route. Come to find out, the IACV was probably legitimately dirty, but I apparently created a leak the first time I took it off and just didn't consider that a possibility after that. Until one day, while working on it, I noticed the ever-so-slight hiss of a vacuum leak. Was happy to find a free fix. If you havent yet, search for one before you spend anymore money. Might save you some duckets.
Thanks. I got a vac check kit coming in. Definitely on my list. It goes up on jack stands as soon as I get the Abarth finished. Starting to cool off, so what better opportunity.