Alabama S2000 Owners Club Areas including Huntsville, Birmingham, Florence, Decatur, Anniston, and Tuscaloosa

scca classing help

Old 07-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scca classing help

Okay guys, I've ran two events so far apparently in the wrong class (lol) but with the tires I ran I wasn't very competitive at all. But, I am looking at ordering a set of wheels with competitive tires in the class I am looking at running in.

My car is an 02 ap1 stock motor.
My mods are:
Test pipe (cat deleted)
Greddy single ti-c exhaust
4.77 gears in my differential
Quick release steering wheel
Coilovers

I was told to run in str but have looked myself and my mods are not legal for that class. I have been looking into running bsp at the next event and getting some 17x9 wheels all the way around, and either slicks (if legal in bsp) or otherwise some Toyo proxies.

Any help from you local guys would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 AM

I'm still a new to this, and any other class I could qualify for and be competitive, I just might try it. Or buy some parts to take my car back to be str legal. Because now that a buddy reminded me bsp is a fast class, and I probably wouldn't be very competitive in it.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your test pipe is what will get you. I think that will actually put you in SSM (SM2) or whatever the new name is, if not XP. STR won't allow your diff or test pipe. I'm almost positive you will be SM2.

R-comps are available to use in all classes except the street tire (i.e. STR). Since you aren't in the stock class 17x9 will be legal in every other class you could run (STR, BSP, SM2, XP)

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the class as much as just having fun. I would just do SM2. Of course that allows for Forced Induction so your car isn't going to be competitive in that class, but regardless it will be fun.

What region are you in?

On a national level fully prepped BSP S2000 should out RAW time a fully prepped SS Z06 vette (course dependant). It depends on how competitive you want to be. Expect to spend $2k on tires alone that will last you 50-80 runs.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM

I live in north west Alabama. After looking into it, I may just run xp with some friend who already run xp. Next year get a cat and a stock diff and continue to run str. I also guess I would need to get a stock steering wheel as well. I replaced it due to being about 6'3" to have room behind the wheel instead of my knees knocking the wheel.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 PM

As Kerm said, the test pipe is what will get ya. From my understanding, with the mods listed...looks like you would be in SSM. As mentioned, tires play a huge role in autocross. After my 1st event, that was the 1st thing I upgraded: 17x9 hankooks all around. I've been to the past few in both Pelham and up in Huntsville. str38 (nfr)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Also, I'm not doing this to be super competitive, just have fun once a month in Huntsville.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jwsb38
As Kerm said, the test pipe is what will get ya. From my understanding, with the mods listed...looks like you would be in SSM. As mentioned, tires play a huge role in autocross. After my 1st event, that was the 1st thing I upgraded: 17x9 hankooks all around. I've been to the past few in both Pelham and up in Huntsville. str38 (nfr)
Sandbagger!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in Huntsville as well. I haven't raced this year due to the baby at home, but I should be out at the August session. I'm hoping to have my blower done by then. You can run SSM with me and another guy that has a supercharged S2K. If it isn't done I'll just run BS or BSP depending on how much I have done to the car. I've got 265s so I can't run STR.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM

I'll probably just finish up the year with what I've got, because I have terrible tires to be autocrossing on and figure out what the rules on tires will be next year and get a cat and some other things to make it str legal again.
On the steering wheel thing, is it a big deal in str? Do I need to get a stock wheel to run in str?
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by RenoVan
Originally Posted by Jwsb38' timestamp='1374091972' post='22671991
Sandbagger!
Hahaha! You and John need to come on up to STR, and have some fun w the big boys!

As for the stealing wheel issue...I don't personally see a problem with it, but if you wanna go by the rule book I don't think it's allowed.

Quick Reply: scca classing help