Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Passing on the left

Old 11-16-2015, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passing on the left

So I've lived in PA for practically my entire life. I stumble upon this Statute and now question my entire driving style. Someone please explain what I am missing when reading the bolded text. From what I understand, in a nutshell, I can pass on any double line as long as I am safe about it.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI.../HTM/75/75.HTM
§ 3305. Limitations on overtaking on the left.

No vehicle shall be driven to the left side of the center or marked center line of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction unless the left side is clearly visible and is free of oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead to permit the overtaking and passing to be completely made without interfering with the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle overtaken. In every event the overtaking vehicle must return to an authorized lane of travel as soon as practicable and, in the event the passing movement involves the use of a lane authorized for vehicles approaching from the opposite direction, before coming within 200 feet of any approaching vehicle.

Cross References. Section 3305 is referred to in sections 1535, 1603, 3307, 3326, 3327 of this title.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:41 AM

Received 1,139 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Double yellow line, of any yellow line on the pavement in PA appears to be advisory. A Do No Pass (or similar) sign, on the other hand is an absolute prohibition. The trick here is to find a yellow line withOUT a sign and wait until a policeman is watching and pass. Honk and wave to be sure you're observed. We'll await your trial results. You can quibble with the judge about any signs AND markings requirements.

Jump down to section 3307:
3307 (No passing zones) of the PA vehicle code:

(a) Establishment and marking.--The department and local authorities may determine those portions of any highway under their respective jurisdictions where overtaking and passing or driving on the left side of the roadway would be especially hazardous and shall by appropriate signs or markings on the roadway indicate the beginning and end of such zones and when the signs or markings are in place and clearly visible to an ordinarily observant person every driver of a vehicle shall obey the directions of the signs or markings. Signs shall be placed to indicate the beginning and end of each no-passing zone.
(b) Compliance by drivers.--Where signs and markings are in place to define a no-passing zone as set forth in subsection (a), no driver shall at any time drive on the left side of the roadway within the no-passing zone or on the left side of any pavement striping designed to mark a no-passing zone throughout its length.
-- Chuck
Old 11-16-2015, 03:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting...
Old 11-18-2015, 04:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

very!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

TLDR

So I can pass on the double yellow unless a DO NOT PASS or a NO PASSING ZONE sign is posted?
Old 11-19-2015, 05:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
TLDR

So I can pass on the double yellow unless a DO NOT PASS or a NO PASSING ZONE sign is posted?
That's what I think it means.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:02 AM

That's the claim folks are making. Not seen any case law on this which is why we need you to honk and waive at the police when you're doing this.

Double yellow line doesn't seem to be mentioned. A yellow line in the opposing traffic lane is non binding.

Google this. There's similar discussions on several car forums. Some point out that the sign is only required at the beginning of the restricted area and that it can be several miles long (as I've seen west of Pittsburgh).

-- Chuck
Old 11-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Interesting.

When passing on the left, at night, it seems as though you must either beep your horn and or flash your high beams.

That'll piss some people off.

http://www.legis.sta...ctn=3&subsctn=0

(b) Suitable signal defined.--Suitable signal for purposes of subsection (a)(2) shall be as follows:

(1) At all times when head lamps are required to be lighted according to section 4302 (relating to the period for requiring lighted lamps), an audible signal or the intermittent flashing of low and high beams except that the use of high beams shall not be permitted when a vehicle is approaching from the opposite direction within 500 feet.

(2) At all other times, an audible signal.

And at no time while passing on the left should you ever exceed the posted speed limit, that's the hard part, for me anyways.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traffic law can be funny that way - for example yellow speed signs are advisory while white speed signs are LAW! But just so you know - any police officer will ticket you for crossing the double yellow - it is just a matter of how the ticket is written. In an area where the white "no passing" sign is displayed you are ticketed for failure to yield to traffic, and in an area where no sign is posted- the ticket reads "reckless driving". That last item is a catch all charge that will stand up in court.

As an aside, the use of both lanes by oversized trucks is legal as long as they provide warning (flashing lights and horn) - this has been tested many times on the Dragon to no avail of the cars that got clipped or outright run over - One of the Dragon attendee's got his S run over on a hairpin turn, and the THP was not going to ticket him, until he stated "I tried to get around the corner as fast as I could! That statement changed the officers mind, and got a commercial driver ticketed for reckless driving. The only reason the S driver was not ticket for failure to yield was his car was half off the road, in the ditch and on the bank trying to avoid the collision.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:35 AM

The key is to have a fighter pilot mentality and watch out for bogies. Traffic police cars typically have their radar on all the time which helps but is not a guarantee.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Passing on the left