Allegheny S2000 Owners Club Western PA including, Pittsburgh, Erie, Western Maryland, Northern West Virginia, and Eastern Ohio

Which road through PA

Old 01-24-2013, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which road through PA

Hey everyone. I bought a 2006 S2000 in NFR(15900 original miles) in Boston last week and I need to drive it to its new home in AR very shortly. I know the weather this weekend may be an issue, so I'll be watching things closely. One thing I need help with is the route through PA from Boston. I can go either I-80 or I-76 (the PA Turnpike) to get through your fine state. The Turnpike will be about $15, but if it is smoother and in better condition than 50 miles north on I-80, then I'm up for that. I would be heading towards Columbus then on towards Indy and St. Louis, prior to arriving in NW AR. I'd like to keep the car as pristine during the drive as it is now.

Which of the 2 routes would you folks recommend, or is there a better way?

Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Scott
'06 in NFR
Old 01-25-2013, 03:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase! That is a hike to get it home.

It is almost a coin flip for which road to take I feel for you passing through. It really depends on the weather I would say. Both 80 and the Turnpike can get messy. Typically you hear more about 80 getting worse bc it tends to get some more snow. When would you be passing through? And what exactly is your route you are planning?
Old 01-25-2013, 04:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exact routes would help. That being said I have travel both 80 and the turnpike to and from NJ before. 80 is a more fun and scenic drive BUT with the weather they are expecting this weekend the turnpike is a MUCH better decision. Typically when PA gets bad weather the 80 cooridor is the dividing line between where it is bad and where it is NASTY.

Turnpike all the way.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 AM

I would be coming from Acton, MA - a suburb of Boston. My intention is to avoid NYC at all costs. The route would be I84 out of MA/CT to I81 near Scranton. Then my dilema is I80 to OH and I71 to I70 to St. Louis. OR, after Scranton, continuing on I81 to I78 to I76 and then on west towards I70 to St. Louis. From there it would be I44 on towards SW MO to NW AR.

Not a scenic route for sure, but time is of the essence. The mileage from Boston to Fayetteville, AR is about 1550 mile using either 180 or I76. My concern is it is a very cherry car with only 15900 miles on it, and it has never been driven in the snow that I can tell. I would like to stay out of as much salt and sand as possible, but I know with the impending weather, that could be asking a lot.

I have the coming week off, which is why I would like to start Monday the 28th. My wife wants to come with me so as we all know, another person adds more time. If the roads are OK, I know I could leave Monday afternoon and get it to AR by Tuesday night. But as I said, right now my wife want to come with me, and I don't think I can do it in that timeframe with her.

Any thoughts on the route? Even though the Turnpike costs about $15, is it a smoother ride than 80? Again, this is a time thing, I'm not looking to to a Grand Scenic Tour.

Scott
Old 01-25-2013, 04:33 AM
Community Organizer

Turnpike is the better bet. Smoother roads lets hills, less mountains. Any snow from this weekend will be gone sooner. Etc. Word of advice though. These cars suck in the snow on stock wheels. Been there/done that and it was bad. I have RE960AS on mine and it was hairy in an inch of snow over new years. Bliuzzaks are a totaly different ball game. The car doesn't suck in snow and is quite capable but the tires are SCARY. For the price of gas and lodging I would look into shipping the car if you want to keep it clean.

Either route you are going to get killed by salt. The only thing that might help is they are calling for 50 and rain on tuesday. That might give you a chance to have the weather wash the salt away and make the trip less harrowing.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:47 AM

I'm thinking that with the weather the way it is now, and according to the traffic cams I've been looking at, I will very likely do the I81 to I40 route to AR. I may push the trip back until Tuesday or Wednesday to allow any warm temps and rain to clear and clean the roads. I don't want to drive this car in the snow or salt. The Southern route adds about 100 miles, but I think it'll be worth it. Besides, my wife says she want to come with me to insure I don't kill myself. With her along, I just might want to!

I'll let you all know. Thanks for the tips.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Community Organizer

Sounds good. Stay safe and keep us posted. Post some pics of your new ride already too! If you need anything drop me a PM. I always have my phone with me and can help.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 AM

I have almost the same question. I'm in SW Ohio and my new car is in western NJ between I78 & I80. So my choices to get home are (1) I78-I76-I70 into Ohio, or (2) I80 all the way to Ohio. The biggest issue is I really want to go this weekend (drive there tomorrow; drive home Sunday), and PA is getting weather today into tonight.

If I leave home tomorrow, I wouldn't get to the western end of the PA turnpike until about 2pm. What are the chances that PennDOT would have the roads clear by then, assuming the snow stops around midnight tonight?
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by riderguy57
I'm thinking that with the weather the way it is now, and according to the traffic cams I've been looking at, I will very likely do the I81 to I40 route to AR. I may push the trip back until Tuesday or Wednesday to allow any warm temps and rain to clear and clean the roads. I don't want to drive this car in the snow or salt. The Southern route adds about 100 miles, but I think it'll be worth it. Besides, my wife says she want to come with me to insure I don't kill myself. With her along, I just might want to!

I'll let you all know. Thanks for the tips.
Best of luck with the trip, keep us posted. Even with the rain the roads will still probably be covered in salt. They will definitely be better though.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by onu2002
I have almost the same question. I'm in SW Ohio and my new car is in western NJ between I78 & I80. So my choices to get home are (1) I78-I76-I70 into Ohio, or (2) I80 all the way to Ohio. The biggest issue is I really want to go this weekend (drive there tomorrow; drive home Sunday), and PA is getting weather today into tonight.

If I leave home tomorrow, I wouldn't get to the western end of the PA turnpike until about 2pm. What are the chances that PennDOT would have the roads clear by then, assuming the snow stops around midnight tonight?
The highways should be clear tomorrow morning or lunch time. Safe travels.

What is your new car?

Quick Reply: Which road through PA