Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Any local HPDE guidance

Old 09-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any local HPDE guidance

Just went through a mid-life-crisis and now own a Red 05 S2K with 7K miles. It’s bone stock except for the K&N filter I just installed. I have never raced a car on a track but love to drive this car fast. Instead of terrorizing the locals I would like to start next month at the beginning HPDE level to see if this is something I want to do. I have been reading a lot on this forum but it would be nice if anyone nearby would like to share some thoughts on how to get started providing tips and tricks I don’t know.

I learned about this HPDE route from an instructor in CA last week while at a business meeting. He had a S2K and now has an Elise.

Look forward to hearing from someone.
Old 09-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

congrats on the purchase! There isn't much advice to give as you're going to learn as a beginner when you take the class so no experience is needed.

Check out nasaaz.com and the stickies in this forum for event information and additional tips.

One thing I will say, play some racing simulators, especially with steering wheel, they will train your mind to learn breaking zones, acceleration points, etc. (unless you're crashing everywhere) and aid you in understanding the instructor's feedback.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:45 PM

Thanks to those that helped.

Will be joining ProAutoSports and see some of you at the track
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM

I used to do HPDE with nasa az when I had a fun car, it was incredible! Their program is affordable, safe and fun. I highly recommend their two day HPDE1 to get started. All you need is a safe car and a helmet. The in-car instructors are awesome and the classroom instruction is very informative. They will even make you a better driver off the track. I think they still have a few S2000 owners as instructors. My wife did nasa HPDE1 and loved it too. It's a great community.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Congratulations on the purchase and kudos for wanting to become a better driver and to let your car do what it was made to do. I don't know when you plan to start driving with PAS but I would like to invite you out to our next NASA event on Oct 2&3 just to familiarize yourself with the track-day atmosphere and how things operate. Bring a helmet if you have one and we will get you in a car for a ride along so you can start your learning process.

Go to nasaaz.com for more info and PM me if you are interested or have any questions.

Thanks!

-Ryan J
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I will be out this fall at PIR...but I might be traveling Oct2&3

OP, feel free to pm me with any questions about trackdays.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM

When you show up for a HPDE event, are they sticklers about convertible vehicles and the roll bar requirement? J/W.

Secondary question, are roll bar installs in S2Ks expensive? (this is before I've looked it up)
Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 PM

Ryan J - Thanks for the offer. I will be there. Which day and time?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S2k is ok to run HPDE in stock form with no need for aftermarket rollbars.

Please check the NASA AZ website for info on the next upcoming event as well as the sticky topic in this forum. The schedule will be posted as the date nears. All you need to do is bring a helmet and a car that doesn't leak fluids or shed parts. You can register for HPDE1 at the above site as well. NASA yearly membership is required.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:13 PM
3en

I was talking to ravi and he was telling me that they are talking about making it a rule that your head has to be below the factory roll bar to run the s2k. I dont know if they ever made it official though.

Quick Reply: Any local HPDE guidance